Nugget Shooter Forums

Teaching Newbies the detecting game

pondmn

Sunday I spent my afternoon with 23 Junior Rock Hound kids ranging in age from 6 to 16 and their parents teaching them how to metal detect. Starting with some class room instruction and then a seeded field. The kids remained on the field for an hour and then I had to talk to another group. I left the kids supervised and they spent over two hours digging coins. I seeded the field with old jewelry, painted pennies as tokens, regular pennies and then a mixture of nickles, dimes and quarters from my coin finds jar. I think I am short a quart of coins and a lot of pennies on top of it. Everyone had a good time.

After the kids I spoke to the Adults of the Mother Lode Mineral Society (approximately 75-90) about metal detecting for coins, jewelry and gold. This is the second time I have done this about two years apart and now many are getting more serious about the hobby. A good time was had. We just finished our annual Gem Show and had a detector dealer come and sell his wares. He said he made a tidy profit. Others have purchased detectors from other sources. Of course I promoted Mr. Bill the most as he is excellent to deal with. It is tough to deliver a well rounded presentation in an hour and cover all types of detectors, coils and accessories. We will be doing a camping field trip in the summer with more instruction an a seeded hunt for the adults.

It is good to pass on our hobby. Jerry

Sunday I spent my afternoon with 23 Junior Rock Hound kids ranging in age from 6 to 16 and their parents teaching them how to metal detect. Starting with some class room instruction and then a seeded field. The kids remained on the field for an hour and then I had to talk to another group. I left the kids supervised and they spent over two hours digging coins. I seeded the field with old jewelry, painted pennies as tokens, regular pennies and then a mixture of nickles, dimes and quarters from my coin finds jar. I think I am short a quart of coins and a lot of pennies on top of it. Everyone had a good time.

After the kids I spoke to the Adults of the Mother Lode Mineral Society (approximately 75-90) about metal detecting for coins, jewelry and gold. This is the second time I have done this about two years apart and now many are getting more serious about the hobby. A good time was had. We just finished our annual Gem Show and had a detector dealer come and sell his wares. He said he made a tidy profit. Others have purchased detectors from other sources. Of course I promoted Mr. Bill the most as he is excellent to deal with. It is tough to deliver a well rounded presentation in an hour and cover all types of detectors, coils and accessories. We will be doing a camping field trip in the summer with more instruction an a seeded hunt for the adults.

It is good to pass on our hobby. Jerry

Good for you Jerry.

Thats really cool you were able to influence so many youngens at one time.

I remember people that did "small" things like this when I was young and later in life one of them has now turned into a very profitable side job for me.

Kudos to you sir.

Tom H.

Aloha Jerry,

Good for you Jerry. Who knows, you may have a "Fisher" in that group who will go on to discover something very noteable in the future because of this experience. Always good to pass on information to someone else with regards to this hobby. I know of a couple of guys on this forum who I have passed on what little knowledge I have and they have become very proficient at hunting meteorites now. Guess they are now the "teachers" as they have been able to gain more knowledge and experience since they first got out into the field.

Mahalo and Aloha for passing on your experiences and knowledge to the next bunch of hunters.

Aloha and stay safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Jerry ... Cheers to You ... taking a kid fishing, hunting or prospecting can be a very positive life altering activity for a child. Congrats on a job well done.

Mike F