Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garimpo

DON'T DIG HERE!!!!!

New Mexico man officials say was caught digging for buried treasure to face charges

Fenn.jpg

State game and fish officials say they plan to file charges against a man who was digging for hidden treasure.

Department spokesman Dan Williams says the man was found digging under a descanso along the upper Pecos River at the Terrero Campground last month. A descanso is a marker where someone has died or their ashes scattered.

Williams says the man told officers he was digging for the chest of gold and jewels that Santa Fe artifact collector Forrest Fenn says he has hidden in the mountains north of Santa Fe. Fenn has published a memoir with a poem of clues to the treasure's location.

"He told our officer that he was looking for Forrest Fenn's treasure," Williams told the Santa Fe New Mexican.

Williams told the paper the man will be charged under a state law making it a misdemeanor to "excavate, injure, destroy or remove any cultural resource or artifact" on State Game Commission land.

The paper reported that Fenn wrote in the book, "I knew exactly where to hide the chest so it would be difficult to find but not impossible,” Fenn wrote. "It's in the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/04/new-mexico-man-officials-say-was-caught-digging-for-buried-treasure-to-face/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2Pgs5jlVU

Don, you just knew this was going to happen and I expect more of the same in the coming months.

Steve

Wel at least he told that it is north of Santa Fe again. So where does the hot water halt?

OK. I think I know the general area it's in guys. Just need someone to go scout around and take a peek. Any takers? Anyone close to Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Grave desecration jus' ain't my thang no matter what's buried there. No peace in life barely anymore so a man should be able to lie undisturbed wouldn't ya think??John :old:

I'm heading up to Santa Fe next week for a small project. I'm just gonna go ahead and grab the treasure and bring it back to AZ with me.

Sorry but I already got it. Boy is Mr. Finn gonna be upset when he didn't get his publicity.

OK. I think I know the general area it's in guys. Just need someone to go scout around and take a peek. Any takers? Anyone close to Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Rim, I'm heading there next week... Aug 24-25

Maybe its up around Cimmeron? Grubstake

I live ten miles from Terrerro where the crosses were dug up.

If you read Forrest Fenns book you will realize it could be anywhere. BTW The Pecos Wilderness and Terrerro is not north of Santa Fe nor does it fit the clues given.

Caliche Chris and I were just there yesterday!

A descanso is not a grave and there are no ashes there. The spot he was digging was where a local girl was hit by a car while selling flowers to the tourists camping in Pecos Canyon about five years ago. It was rather elaborate and had solar lights, a small statue, plastic flowers and some stuffed animals. There were some rocks in a ring around the whole affair in about a six foot circle.

For what it is worth there are dozens of these descansos along every mile of highway here. Everyone here knows they are not graves. This is native custom for Catholics and represent the spot a person's spirit left their body. I have never heard of sprinkling ashes at the death site but some individuals might I suppose.

The whole area is off limits for digging anyway. It is a superfund mine cleanup site below the big Terrerro mine.

His main mistake was going treasure hunting while several hundred men were trying to fight two huge wildfires. The entire area around us has been on fire for months and the area is a mess with all the firefighters trying to save the homes. He had to go in that narrow canyon, through the mop up efforts of the Tres Lagunas fire and dig right on the roadside on the only access to the Jarosa and Borrego Mesa fires. The road had been off limits to anyone except firefighters and residents. He obviously was an idiot that did not belong there digging on the roadside. While crews were working a disaster and residents were assessing the damage to their property. Wow!

They just opened that road to the public a couple of weeks ago. It has been closed for the last three months at least.

There has to be 25 descansos on that stretch of narrow road. I wonder how many he planned to dig up??

Lots of lost treasure stories about the trail around that area, around Cimarron. Grubstake

Rim, you are a wise man! The clue is hot water and north. Try Ojo Caliente. It is one of Fenn's favorite haunts, is north of Santa Fe and has hot water.

The area the fellow was caught digging is due EAST of Santa Fe and has zero hot water.

Most searchers agree Fenns treasure is near Ojo Caliente near a creek that runs hot from a hot spring. It could be anywhere between Ojo Caliente and the Conejos Country of Colorado.

If you learn a little about F. Fenn you will know more about the spot than the clues give you. This guy is a character and has a quirky personality. He is obsessed with certain things. This UNDOUBTEDLY plays heavily on the location and is what most hunters rely on to select a spot.

You would be light years ahead researching a few other Santa Fe people who figure heavily in this story too. HINT: TWO DOLLAR SMILE. SOME A$&HOLE SHOT MY DOG.

Rim, you are a wise man! The clue is hot water and north.

And where the hot water halts. I had picked out two places to look but forgot them since this post went dead. All i can remember were both were north of Santa Fe. The trick is where to find the hot water halts. Then any where around that area is game Imo. But there's probably plenty of places where the hot water halts. One of the places i read about is very hard to get too. And I think he mentioned that in his clues. I remember it said it's easier to access at different times in the year. Something about where a creek widens substancially making it harder to get too. So you want to go when the water is way down. Wish i could remember, but i lost interest. Oh well, I hope it's not a hoax or a joke. And someone will find it one day.

The box contents.

This is a list of just some of what is inside the lockbox that alone cost over $20,000. Fenn says there is over 20 troy pounds of gold, a 17th century Spanish ring with a large emerald, a bracelet with 254 rubies, six emeralds, two sapphires, and a bunch of small diamonds, a historic bracelet with round turquoise beads, a 2,000 year old necklace from Columbia and a 20,000 word autobiography by Forrest Fenn wax sealed in an olive jar.

hm,hm,hmmmmmmmmmm...........sure would be nice to find such treasures. :4chsmu1:

The box contents.

This is a list of just some of what is inside the lockbox that alone cost over $20,000. Fenn says there is over 20 troy pounds of gold, a 17th century Spanish ring with a large emerald, a bracelet with 254 rubies, six emeralds, two sapphires, and a bunch of small diamonds, a historic bracelet with round turquoise beads, a 2,000 year old necklace from Columbia and a 20,000 word autobiography by Forrest Fenn wax sealed in an olive jar.

hm,hm,hmmmmmmmmmm...........sure would be nice to find such treasures. :4chsmu1:

You are right Rimshot! It is really valuable and it is really out there. A lot of guys spend a lot of time and money chasing some fable that may not even exist. This one is a bunch different. A whole lot of really shrewd treasure hunters are deeply invested in finding F. Fenn's chest.

Again, the character is more revealing than the clues. Research takes you deep into the affluent and extremely eccentric Santa Fe society. The whole purpose of the hunt in my opinion was a personal rivalry. The caracters involved have connections that you would not believe. And the hunt is designed to fascinate you with every step.

It is all about learning the secrets of the recluse Santa Fe area. It would seem a native would have the advantage but that has proven to be false

I can say that if this hunt ever catches on and gets media attention some third party will offer some valuable clues. There is a lot of money in that box. That causes trees to shake and leaves to fall...

TWO DOLLAR SMILE. SOME S.O.B. SHOT MY DOG!!!

You know Bob, Mr. Fenn never said it was in New Mexico. He just said "north of Santa Fe." The more I read, the more I become confused.

Some people think Yellow Stone because at one time in his life that was his old stompin ground so to speak.

This is a pretty good article.

See what you think.

http://news.yahoo.com/love-mysteries-says-man-claiming-hidden-gold-173507907.html

Also, at one time Forrest come down with cancer. He had mention walking off into the desert, with his treasure, and dieing so his bones would be found with the treasure. But he defeated the cancer and changed his mind. Are we dealing with an unstable person or what? I mean why not leave the treasure for his family to share? Just don't make no sense at all.

One poster writes:

Hi, just came across this article about Fenn. Having grown up in Livingston MT, just thought I’d share this, since I have no time to dig around and get up there, but some of you do… here is a thought.
We used to go to a place in Gardiner that is called the “hot pots”, to swim where hot springs flow into the river. The Yellowstone river is home to the Brown Trout. Gardiners’ elevation is 5,259 ft.
There are plenty of canyons around this place, Maybe look for “the boiling river” area or the lava creek area, and the Mt Everts area? has blazing orange landscape. Happy Hunting :)

Rim

You are correct. One of the only things he has said was it could be anywhere north of Santa Fe.

That is why his personality and his motivation for burrying the treasure mean so much. Withought those kind of clues you are stuck searching everywhere north of Santa Fe.

No, he is not unstable. He is just a strange duck like the rest of em in Santa Fe. You gotta think about what makes a rich old artifact collector tick. He loves old treasures and has been fascinated for years. He wants the feeling of adventure and risk he felt in his youth. And being a wealthy Santa Fean he must keep up with the Joneses. And the Joneses around here make some pretty big entrances. I think everyone around him has been recognized for their success but he had been the quiet collector with little recognition. He wants people to know he knows where the treasure is and they can't find it. He wants folks to know just how much treasure he has seen without anyone noticing.

He is an adventurer getting old. He knows where a large cache is and is having fun with it. When he dies it just might be the best darn treasure story of all time. He will suddenly be Adams or El Chato. He will be Padre La Rue or Doc Noss. He will go down in history and men will search for the chest of F. Fenn for years. He wants to be a legend greater than those around him.

That is my take on it.

Maybe so, but if were one of his girls i'd be pizzed....lol!

I hear you Rimshot! I would be pizzed if you were one of his girls too.

I hear you Rimshot! I would be pizzed if you were one of his girls too.

:th_coffeescreen::laught16:

We have a treasure cypher here in Missouri which has never been found.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11811&hl=tatham

It's not nearly as large as the one hidden by Fenn but it attracted quite a bit of interest when it was first published. I'm sure there's still some die hards working on it to this day. Don't be surprised if it never gets found. If Fenn wants his treasure to be found, he wil put out more clues.

Dutchman,

Well he did give a new clue back in March I think. He said you won't have to dig up any out houses or structures. And now that I think about it, I don't think he ever said he buried anything. It might just be under a rock.

You know it's kinda funny. There have been many treasures found in the oceans but not many on land due to the size of what they are looking for I guess.

I think shipwrecks are a lot easier to find for a few reasons. There were nautical records availible for research purposes. Another one is they can actually see what they are looking for unlike treasures buried underground. Also more large treasures were lost at sea then buried.

I predict the Fenn treasure will be found by accident rather then someone actually looking for it. But it may take years assuming this isn't one mans version of a hoax. Seems like a lot of treasures that are discovered were found that way.

X2 by accident.

Dutchman,

Well he did give a new clue back in March I think. He said you won't have to dig up any out houses or structures. And now that I think about it, I don't think he ever said he buried anything. It might just be under a rock..

...Or sitting on a shelf over the hot tub at his condo in Aspen...