Nugget Shooter Forums

New Reality show- Prospectors

shep

A friend called me tonight and asked me if I have seen a new program on TWC. Nope but watching it now and it's interesting! They're not gold hunters, but looking for Gemstones.

Not all the drama of the gold shows (so far) but they bounce around amongst several groups like the gold shows. Some of the values ($$$$) of their pocket finds seem a little questionable to me, but I don't know.

Bored on Tuesday evenings at 9, might give it a go-

Shep

Goldfinger ... how many times did they mention the weather on that show? ... storms coming up from the valley are the worst, so and so is working the other side of the mountain and can't see the danger coming from the other side yet ... lightning, lightning everywhere ... the weather channel got their licks in for what they are known for and provided some decent entertainment at the same time ... not much different than what they do with the Coast Guard rescue shows they do. I think they see the writing on the wall with all the folks that tune into the reality shows on History and Discover channels and the dollars that come in from advertisers ... just another profit center ... and so the world turns!

I thought the show was interesting enough to take a peak at the next week.

I think you got it right Mike, with the storms and lighting! Beats the crap out of all the bickering and incompitance (sp?) on the gold shows tho, for sure!

Take care, Shep

Goldfinger ... how many times did they mention the weather on that show? ... storms coming up from the valley are the worst, so and so is working the other side of the mountain and can't see the danger coming from the other side yet ... lightning, lightning everywhere ... the weather channel got their licks in for what they are known for and provided some decent entertainment at the same time ... not much different than what they do with the Coast Guard rescue shows they do. I think they see the writing on the wall with all the folks that tune into the reality shows on History and Discover channels and the dollars that come in from advertisers ... just another profit center ... and so the world turns!

I thought the show was interesting enough to take a peak at the next week.

Gotta have some drama....

Who wants to watch a guy walk for hours up and down washes digging bullets and boot tacks, pulling cacti out of his leg, getting his hat and headset yanked off by tree branches, and then hiking back to the truck in the Arizona sun smelling like a skunk....literally? :)

Kind of like watching paint dry :)

Tom H.

Shep,

Thanks for posting this news. I would not have known otherwise, as I don't watch Weather Channel.

For those of us who missed it, look for a rebroadcast in a few days on your cable provider. My provider is Bresnan. The series pilot and 1st episode, one-half hour each, are scheduled for rebroadcast this Saturday, 3/30, starting at 12pm, 6pm and 9pm mountain time.

Here is the series press release from last year, which I also missed:

The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) announced today that it has greenlit “Prospectors” (working title), which follows a group of miners searching for the rarest gems in order to strike it rich. However, they risk life and limb daily as they face extreme climates, weather and other perilous conditions in every step of their pursuit. Produced by High Noon Entertainment (“Hurricane Hunters,” “Cake Boss”), “Prospectors” features 9x 30-minute episodes and premieres Tuesday, March 26 with back-to-back episodes at 9:00 p.m. & 9:30 p.m. ET (repeating at midnight & 12:30 a.m. ET)

“I can’t imagine anyone facing the kind of danger the group in ‘Prospectors’ faces on a daily basis, yet this gang simply can’t resist the call of the fortune awaiting them,” said Michael Dingley, senior vice president, content and development, The Weather Channel Companies. “It’s a thrilling, and sometimes terrifying, journey to watch them pursue their riches at all costs.”

Just like their predecessors 150 years ago, the small, ragtag gang in “Prospectors” has one goal: find their fortune. Based in Colorado, they brave the continent’s most extreme mountain environments in search of the planet’s most precious gems, such as topaz, aquamarine and rhodochrosite. Rarer than diamonds, more valuable than gold and far more difficult to mine, one of these fist-sized gems can bring $3 million or more. The prospectors use picks, sledgehammers and dynamite to send Volkswagen-sized boulders spinning out of control down the 60 percent grade mountainside. They open holes, looking for veins of brilliant red, blue and green crystals. And the right pocket, extracted correctly, can bring a million dollar payday or more.

But the process is brutal. This is some of the most dangerous mining in the world, because while Colorado is home to North America’s richest, most abundant gem fields, they’re also at the highest elevations. At 14,000 feet above sea level, there’s 50 percent less oxygen, and weather is always more extreme, with twice as many lightning strikes, hurricane force winds, and vicious storms that move in without warning. And if the weather doesn’t get the prospectors, the thieves might.

http://press.weather.com/press-releases/the-weather-channel-finds-a-gem-with-prospectors/

I haven't watched it yet but am skeptical of what they find. Like many we all know how hard it is to find fantastic stuff and how many times we all go out and get skunked. Hard for me to believe just how realistic this show is going to be. If it's anything like those gold idiots up in Alaska then it could be fun. The only one with a head on his shoulder in that group is young Schnable but he is pretty reckless too. I've never seen such a joke. Surprised MSHA hasn't shut all those operations down. I'll give the new show a look.

Will have to watch that show. Thanks for the heads up

El D,

If you had the opportunity to watch, what was your opinion of the values mentioned for the recovered stones? Thanks.

-C/Jim

The thing I like about this show is there is no million dollar investors or expensive machinery that breaks down. Sure there is some kind of drama for TV and these prospectors egos.

But I can relate to prospecting at 12,200 feet above sea level and higher. For that is my prospecting playground. This is hard rock country.

These prospectors just use hand tools that they carry in and out.

Oxygen- that I wear at nighttime home at 6700' from my past exposure to 9/11 as an authorized WTC responder. I also have portable O2 tanks that I wear when up at this altitude. I turn the dial all the way up to five. Two is my nighttime lower elevation setting. You walk a few feet climbing at this altitude it's like a rock in your chest blocking air into your lungs.

Small crystals- I find on the floor at times especially by mine sites. I have always given them away to kids. I will re-think that now!

Weather- Once years ago in the lower town of Silverton 9300' it snowed on July 4th. When I'm higher up I often see storms come and go. I just wait in the jeep for it to pass then I'm right back out there exploring. There's a saying here in Colorado, if you don't like the weather wait five minutes. Temp's here in the southwest region often fluctuate 45 degrees within one day. It's layered clothing here in this weather extreme state.

But for me there's nothing like prospecting above tree line. No people, trees, bushes, snakes, mountain lions, even bears won't venture this high up. It's just the snow that gets in the way until late summer.

I hope I gave you all an insider look at things here.

Prospect on--Jimmy

Jimmy, if that snow on July 4 was a year and a half ago I was there too. Up on top of those darn mountains on ATV's that I never drove before. We only had light spring jackets on and were totally encased in ICE when we got down. Oh the fun.

The show wasn't all that interesting to me but I'm still going to continue watching it. How many shows are there like that for the rockhound? But like Fred said, they give inflated values on most of the finds. There was a nice large flourite crystal that would have been worth some $$$$ after cleaning. Other then that, I didn't see much of interest.

Steve

In the latest episode, they were finding, amazonite, smokey quartz and flourite although not in any combos. Amazonite and smokey quartz are one of my favorites. Pretty dangerous work though in some areas. Hope no one gets hurt. I wonder how much they're getting paid for participating in the show?

Steve

Rumor has it and I heard from what I consider a very reliable source ibased in CO they are moving out of CO now because of the latest restrictive gun laws that have just recently been passed in the state and signed by the govenor of CO. Haven't been able to confirm it but don't be surprised if you find these guys filming in Montana or some other place where there are a few gem stones.

Mike F

• 1 month later...

In the latest episode, they were finding, amazonite, smokey quartz and flourite although not in any combos. Amazonite and smokey quartz are one of my favorites. Pretty dangerous work though in some areas. Hope no one gets hurt. I wonder how much they're getting paid for participating in the show?

Steve

Both shows tonight deal with amazing finds of amazonite and smokey quartz. Some of those crystals are stunners.

On a side note, there's yet another reality show called "Rock MY RV". In this one, they take an old RV and turn into one for a specific use. http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/rock-my-rv-with-bret-michaels

Someone should apply have theirs turned into a prospectors RV. One with 12 Minelab 5000's that can swivel out of the side,swinging and detecting automatically by use of a central console in the living room and well as a small backhoe built into the back. :yesss: What else can they come up with??? A beer brewer in the kitchen? Any other ideas???

Ya mean one like this, note the Kegerator next to the bus. Yes, that is Beef Wellington on the table.

post-1252-0-73835800-1370393863_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-52023600-1370394166_thumb.jp

Edited by El Dorado