Nugget Shooter Forums

Hand held GPS info needed

TomH

Hey all:

Im looking to buy a basic...bottom end...hand held GPS that will just simply

mark waypoints and has a arrow on the screen to get ya back to that spot.

Anyone know of something like this?

I have a Garmin Etrex venture but would like to get a basic model for dad.

Tks

Tom H.

I have a Garmin bottom-of-the-line model that I bought at the Sports Authority store for $90 last year. It has no maps database or anything snazzy like that, but at the end of a day's walking in heavy CO forest, it could tell the difference between my standing by the RR or LF doors of my SUV auto. I had set a my car location before I went out in the morning, just in case I got lost. This unit is exactly what I had wanted.

Hope this helps.

Cochetopa/Jim

Fred you read my mind.....exactly what I do many times a year of prospecting here.....when your in jungle

or hills that all look the same a GPS that you took a fix on the car before leaving can sure save your a$$....

And like you said Fred many times I've put my left foot in the hole where I just dug a nugget and took the

GPS fix.....in the past I would post those Lat/Long on here but then I saw where people were getting there

in a couple of days and making the place look like a Afgan bomb range.....but now I still have them....and

when you get older those "fixes" sure can come in handy....

Tom, does he have a smartphone? There's an app called Find My Car which is simple to use. It has basically 2 buttons -- one to mark the spot, and one to find your way back to it. You can set different points, i.e. car, nugget patch 1, etc.

Tom, does he have a smartphone? There's an app called Find My Car which is simple to use. It has basically 2 buttons -- one to mark the spot, and one to find your way back to it. You can set different points, i.e. car, nugget patch 1, etc.

Jean, my cellphone isn't very smart at any time and either am I for getting lost yesterday. As far back in as Tom and I go there is no service at all. Walkie Talkie was the way we finally communicated after I climbed the higest hill around. I fired a couple of shots and he told me the direction to travel and we met. I've been a woodsman since childhood but I can't rely on things I used to in the past to get me out of some situations. Age is a factor and I'll have to start embracing some things that I have been putting off. Glad I wasn't dragging a 200 pound deer out, the detector and related stuff was cumbersom enough to carry along.

Old Tom

Adam, there's one taped under your quad seat ;-)

Now THATS funny! :)

Decided to get a garmen Etrex venture....just like the one I have.

Tks all

Tom

This kinda ties in with this thread.

For those of us that hunt alone on occasion.it's a good idea to leave a clue as to where you went.

A folding rule and some paint make it easy.

Patrick .....

post-23679-0-84370800-1363722954_thumb.j

post-23679-0-57709700-1363722992_thumb.j

post-23679-0-54388500-1363723029_thumb.j