Nugget Shooter Forums

GPS???

robbor

i could use a gps unit for prospecting. What unit would you recomend. im thinking on something i can input a whole section to go to so i know when im in unclaimed land or input a area i need to stay out of. id also like to be able to enter a lat/lon on the fly in the field to go to. ive never had a gps. thanks

I use a Garmin eTrex 20 and the Garmin Base Camp (free) program on my laptop. While the small size of the e20 is good it also limits the screen size which is not so good. The Base Camp program allows you to upload and download waypoints and tracks to your laptop to see locations on a topo of the area you are working. I get the topos from GPSFileDepot.com (again free). While this is probably not the optimum setup it has worked for me so far. You can set area alarms on the eTrex 20 but it is not something I do in the field. I have found it to also have pretty good battery life. Good luck with your search.

I also use an eTrex 20 combined with Garmin Basecamp. I use Garmin Basecamp to load aerial imagery to my Garmin eTrex 20. Amazing battery life, Awesome Price point , plus more bells & whistles than I will ever use. Its a tough competitor to the higher priced Delormes & Garmins.

:Just_Cuz_06: Most of today modern GPS units will get you there and back pretty good. Some of the fancier Garmin units have color and touch screen just like the newer cell phone. You should also considered the unit compatibility with software program, memory cards, and normal battery. You don't want to get stuck with a unit that have proprietary software programs and battery pack! Bass Pro Shop have preloaded platt maps on SD cards that are compactible with certain Garmin GPS units, they are nice, but there are also $99.00 per states. The Delorme units and their software Topo program are nice and you can get a bundle package of a PN60 GPS unit with the new "TOPO 10" software program. What is really nice about the Delorme system is you can subscribe to their Digital Library for $28.00 per years and have unlimited download of topo maps, aerial photo, etc data. There is some brianiac out there that can use 3rd party software that can get National Geographic, Google Earth data to work with a Delorme unit, or Garmin, or whatever but it is not easiely done! If you get into Geocaching, some units have plug and play connecting for the Geocaching sites. Do your homework and have fun. More Au to you, Robert :desertsmile::m2c: