Nugget Shooter Forums

YUCCA DCA

Hi Jim,

Great map! I think you forgot to thank (give credit to) Jim Smaller (Paleface) for all his work in the field. Many or all the hunters gave Jim Smaller find locations back in the day. If it was not for Jim Smaller a lot of this information would have been lost. And for the New location to the NW on the Franconia strewn field Jim spent a lot of time in this area, Just ask a couple of the old timers. :old:

Sonny

Hi Jim,

Great map! I think you forgot to thank (give credit to) Jim Smaller (Paleface) for all his work in the field. Many or all the hunters gave Jim Smaller find locations back in the day. If it was not for Jim Smaller a lot of this information would have been lost. And for the New location to the NW on the Franconia strewn field Jim spent a lot of time in this area, Just ask a couple of the old timers. :old:

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

My work was not based on Jim Smaller's effort.

However I do give great credit to Jerry Baird (who people seldom ever mention) and then later Jim Smaller's great effort at mapping what they did. Still, as you know, with all these efforts, much is still lost forever. I talked to many many people. One of the comments I heard a lot is that over time, people just stopped saving any data. During the time the iron debate was going on and it was stated it was railroad junk, several people stopped recording iron finds, yet there are several 16 gram plus irons recovered and just don't have any data. All of this has been known and no discredit is given anywhere because of this. Would it have made for a better map? It sure would have, but it's just lost or was not available to my effort. And, If someone want's to do their own map and get meteorites classified and submitted, all the more power to them...and I am sure Jim Smaller would think the same way. I took me 3 years to do what I did.

Now that the complete area is a Dense Collection Area, everyone that wants to get a find classified and submitted can and it will only help paint a better picture. This could have been done by anyone that had a real interest. Nobody had that level of interest, obviously.I certainly encourage anyone willing to do that...so the data is not lost as it has been in the past.

My point being I do not discredit anyone and have much respect for those hunters that are willing to share their data.

Jim

Gold basin is many times larger than the known Franconia strewnfield...

fred

Hi Fred,

The reason I asked how did you figure is to figure out if you had read something I haven't. My map changes the angle and goes 4 miles beyond Jim Smaller's map to the Northwest. It was measured from the farthest known finds at each end. It was not measured by an arbitrary line around an area. If I did that, I could add a few more miles to it, but it does not mean anything.

Your description of Gold Basin is about the same as mine. I roughly figure Gold Basin at 19 miles long without any proof but it's generally accepted based on descriptions such as yours.

So, based on that, Franconia is about 57% the length of Gold Basin, not many many times. That is what I was getting at.

What is sad is that there is so many finds at Gold Basin, we'll never really get to see the full picture or anything close to it. Very same situation as Franconia. If someone were to ever take on mapping Gold Basin (about 5 years worth of work), I'd certainly share my data.

Back in the early days of Franconia, when most folks had not even a clue about the North side, it was not uncommon for folks to be pulling out 3kg a day of stones. All of that data was lost. So, we will never know the density of either Gold Basin or Franconia and with that, everything out there on paper is a SWAG.

Jim

Edited by Desertsunburn

This might help guys its from Lunar an Planetary Science and is incomplete data at the time written

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC98/pdf/1526.pdf

Hi Frank!

This is what was typically accepted at the time and as of today, many many more recoveries, probably doubling what was found in this report has taken place. Just the way it is.

But back to this size....what do you think? This report shows 50 sq miles. So, if that is correct and we know meteorites have been recovered in a length of roughly 19 miles, then it's width would be what....about 3 miles without a calculator handy??? I hunted up the sides of the hills on both sides of the valley and have never found anything....but that was only about 3 trips worth.

That guessed, if it was wider than 3 miles, then it would be shorter in length to make up 50 sq miles....and I remember John saying they found meteorites up to the road to the South or something close to that. And, if were longer, it would not be wider.

Jim

Yes Jim no matter when something technical is written it is constantly changing.
I have found meteorites way way west of the central basin, and also in the meadview mountains to the east.
That is quite some mileage. with out being on the quad with a GPS running I hesitate to guess the width.
And the length is LONG we all know thats for sure.
All these details are for the scientists and of course interested laymen.
It does take quite some effort and time to try to gather and record any and all information and I respect all that enter that realm of documentation.

I hunted the mountains West of Bunk's and your claim the year I had claim privileges. Did that a couple of times after seeing another hunter up in there. Skunked as usual! I later spent the day further down the road to the Eastern hills hunting and skunked. Looking at Google Earth, the valley are that point is about 3 miles wide from the bases of the hills to the east and west.

Thanks for the reply Jim...you have done a great deal of work and I yield to new information and greater knowledge...

my information was apparently outdated...

still I said many times.. not many ,many...

now would many be 2 to the second power and many-many be to the third or would that be .............

whatever, there are many,many miles to go before I sleep.

fred

Jim

You are a mere pimple on a big boys as%$. .When!!!!!!! you find a piece over 500 grams in Gold Basin and an iron over 14 grams in Franconia then talk to me about leached and profited off the backs of others.

You want to be the the big next thing????. Well prove it and walk the fields . You make me sick with your. Way’s and means!!!

Wayne

Fred the name is Mobileholmes and is because I can travel to hunt where I want in the fields or where ever. The last name is Holmes.

• 2 weeks later...

Attached the Franconia Strewnfield GPX file that I've used for years and it's based on Jim Smallers map. Just rename the file to have a .GPX entension, upload to you're GPS and run the route "FranconiaSF". You'll know exacty where you are in the strewnfield while out hunting.

Del

Franconia SF.txt