Nugget Shooter Forums

Found a strange rock in an area that has an Eocene River channel. I chipped a chunk off to bring home and this is it. The orbs are harder than a knife blade and from the pits seems like they are round....cannot see very well in the pictures there are also needle crystals in the matrix like maybe but not sure.... feldspar?

IMG_6759_zpsc188d005.jpg

IMG_6754_zpsa0b71ab4.jpg

IMG_6754_zpsa0b71ab4.jpg

IMG_6763_zps65029c81.jpg

I don't have clue on this one. If I was to take a wild guess, I would say it's the result of bubbles rising through hot magma then undergoing some type of alteration. Have seen plent of vesicular basalt but nothing quite like this. Or maybe the result of some type of crystalization... Both are wags...

Steve

I did a streak on the big round orb and it is either very dark brown or black and the host rock streaks the same. I am going to have to try to re find the bigger chunk, but that may never happen. It's not magnetic, could the orb be hematite?

Edited by El Dorado

I was trying to avoid cutting it, if I find the original chunk, I will so some slicen and dicen. Thanks

The pictures are perfect. You need to have the specimen checked out by a source at an university with the tools to find the answer. The basalt question is weird as to what gets trapped in the flow. Thought I had an arrowhead and reached down and found this specimen a few years ago. Go figure.

post-1528-0-07215100-1362887658_thumb.jp

I showed this to Reno Chris yesterday, he said the orbs are most likely nothing more than iron oxide bubbles in basalt.....

hmmmmmmm,,,I wonder if i broke mine apart if i would find orbs.