Nugget Shooter Forums

Polaris announces airless tires coming out

Uncle Ron

Ive seen them on youtube for trucks. Like Frank says, I bet it will be expensive.

Dave

Don't like holes all the way through the tires as sticks,especially manzanita are EXTREMELY hard and trouble will definately happen unless steel. John

As far as mud, you'd be surprised at the power of centrifugal force once you clear the mud bog and start to spinning the wheels again.
That would probably clear them down to a thin coating to dry. Just like any wheel
And sticks going thru the openings horizontally, the strength of some of these composite materials is awesome.

• Like 1

I have to agree with John, the debris factor can be a real issue.

I'll pass until they can solve that. They really need sidewalls.

You'd be cleaning crap outa the tires more often than fixing flats. boorb

Centrifugal force is not going to be as effective as you might think. :nono:

You'd prob have to get the tires up in the air and run at full throttle

to get any impacted crap out.

Needs more R&D.

Just another vegimatic to me. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

These work amazingly good. If you were to be walked up the the UTV with a blindfold on you would be hard pressed to tell if you had NPT's on or conventional tires and wheels.

Never once have we had to clean anything out of the honeycomb area. They do hold alot of dust that will fall out when you park it. :2mo5pow:

• 3 months later...

I wonder if they have come up with a method to recap these when the tread wears out although they put 5000 hrs into the test on them so thats a lot of miles. I suppose it will boil down to cost per mile or hr. I am thinking about double the price of a standard tire hopefully not more. I would hate to think a new Polaris equipped with these tires would cost more than my Dodge :Just_Cuz_06:

• 4 months later...

Wow, Blake, that's pretty amazing ... Were they ever able to destroy one of those tires during testing? ... If so, how did they do it ... Also, what's the scoop on sunlight/UV/ozone resistance? Looks awesome... Cheers, Unc

New issue of 4 wheeler has pics of Michelin tires for TRUCKS coming out airless also. Supposed to last much longer than conventional tires also? but cost watch out. I just had a flat repaired on monday so I'm ready-John

Err on the side a caution as I wasted almost $2,000 on run flats for my Lexus and they didn't even last 10,000 miles.AND must replace all 4 at a time also in case of failure of a single one,nevermore.. New ideas always sound sooooooooooooooooooo good till ya get screwed....John

post-23710-0-66841900-1385130023_thumb.j

Ron,

We did run into a few problems but they were early prototypes. In the end we were running them hard with a loaded to capacity RZR. (lots of sand bags in the bed and passenger side)

They worked amazing.

Never did get in much mud other than the sandy stuff in the Hassayampa and in Box Canyon. But all the normal stuff our desert has from Crown King to Tonopah, had no adverse effects. I think they are a perfect match for a Bad Ass utility quad. While they worked great on the RZR (and we drove the piss out of them) I have to wonder about the cost vs mileage.

I never got shot at with a .50 cal so I can give an opinion on that. :-)

Edited by heybeerman

• 2 months later...

I kind of like these 12 ply tires. However, they are really pricey and size limited.

http://www.rpadvancedmobilesystems.com/atv-products/atv-tactical-tires.html

• 1 month later...