Nugget Shooter Forums

hi from the new guy

ny gold

Hello all . I want to try a little gold panning with my kids this summer. Just wondering what kind of pans I should buy ?

I live in ny on 16 acres about 5 miles from lake Erie. I have a decent size creek running through my land.I know probabaly not much here but I have read that the glaciers brought some gold with them as they pushed through , just looking for fun.

Hello from White Plains, New York! You can get started with a deluxe gold pan kit from Garrett - I'm sure Bill can hook you up, a five-gallon plasic bucket from Home Depot, and a shovel. Don't look for more than a few flakes though here in New York - Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum,

Most all typical gold pans are much the same, some are a little better than others, it usually comes down to what you learned with and size.

That being said, I like to use a 14" to 16" pan with a wide flat bottom for initial panning, and then I will use a much smaller 10" or smaller pan when I get down to a very small amount of material in my pan (usually referred too as a cleanup pan), but I only use the smaller pan for fine gold, for big gold I just stick with the primary pan.

Now for you and your kids, I would recommend a 14" for you and if your kids are very young 12 or less I would go with a 10" pan, and a 12" to 14" if they are older than around 12.

I would also recommend that you do a search on YouTube for panning videos so ya'll get to watch as many panning demos as possible to help with the learning curve of panning for gold.

Be warned!! When young folks catch gold fever it's hard to cure as most of them prefer to live with the disease.

I always prefered the classiic steel pan but plastic hadn't beem invented when I started prospecting. I can see vactions out west in the making.