Nugget Shooter Forums
SGTFDA

My prospecting 4runner

I use my 4 runner to haul my prospecting stuff and as with all older 4tunners had a bad case of butt sag. Loaded with all the prospecting stuff a real case of butt sag. Glenn told me to order some Old Man Emu springs and he would help me install them. Glenn knows all things about 4x4's so I ordered the springs. The arrived last night. Glenn came over today to help. Trust me he knows all the tricks! Took us about a hour. No more butt drag. Thanks Glenn!

post-384-0-91236900-1361663018_thumb.jpg

Wow Frank now it sits like a stink bug :arrowheadsmiley: Tell Glen to put some spacers on the front to level it out :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

It levels out when I load it up. Just right. That's all I use it for.

I went the other way and put air bags on my Taco. I can have it level loaded or empty.

Lookin good Sgt.
Was it just 1 helper spring for each side or ??? change entire setup ??

I went the other way and put air bags on my Taco. I can have it level loaded or empty.

Yea, I airbagged mine too...love it!! Just pump em up when loaded and let the air out when not.

I got a 1" lift on the back out of the switch vs a 2" sag. Replaced the rear coil springs. Oh Mike on a 95 there are no coil springs on the front thus no spacers

His rear is coil springs, not leaves. Just a couple yanks and shoves and they were in.

We also made a brake line extension bracket so there's no worries about that being a limiting factor.

Took the old gal for a test ride and it's nice n firm without being stiff. For Yotas there's really only a few companies I'll recommend:

Old Man Emu

Trail Gear

Marlin Crawler

All three cut their teeth on and specialize in all things Toyota. OME has been around for years and are all built and tested in Australia for life in the Outback. TG and MC are US businesses and carry some super-extreme stuff, more than Frank will ever need.

You're welcome, Frank and thanks for feeding me :)

Edited by GlennM

I got a 1" lift on the back out of the switch vs a 2" sag. Replaced the rear coil springs. Oh Mike on a 95 there are no coil springs on the front thus no spacers

Hi Frank what does it have-tortion bars then ? if it does you can adjust those then to level it out :D Mike C... :200:

Hi EL I looked into that to but was worried about what would happen if they got stetched out to far from the axle dropping into a deep rut-how much do they stretch-I was looking at the firestone bags :idunno: Mike C... :200:

I now have my outback rig. Wanted a + 1" lift on the rear end instead of a - 2". The heavy duty Old Man Emu springs did just that. By the way that's Johnos new nickname. Trust me Glenn knows his stuff.

Frank,

Where did you order the OME`s from ?

I now have my outback rig. Wanted a + 1" lift on the rear end instead of a - 2". The heavy duty Old Man Emu springs did just that. By the way that's Johnos new nickname. Trust me Glenn knows his stuff.

Hey Frank it will settle down with a few loads on it and if your happy with it thats all that matters :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :200:

My 4runner drags its butt like a dog with worms, which springs did you get? I looked online for the emus and there are alot to choose from. Thanks

I bought the OME 901 set. They are the heavy duty ones designed for a extra 300 pounds carry weight in the back. I bought them online and was about $185 with shipping. One is a little longer and is marked with A. It goes on the passenger gas tank side. Easy install if you have coil clamps. Right Glenn.

You will get a 1" lift above the front with the 901's

Yeah, if you're doing this in te driveway with stands and a floor jack, spring compressors are the only way to retain sanity.

At the shop we use a lift and unbolt the upper control arms while using screw jacks to support the axle. Didn't always have the lifts, though. Did many a lift kit on the floor.

I use 4 ratchet type tie down straps as a spring compressor...works easy, safely and are very cheap.

Releasing those straps can shorten your body parts or life. Lots of stored energy in a compressed suspension spring. It can be done, but isn't what I would call safe :)

Either way, plenty of ways to skin that squirrel. The rig will get its first test this weekend at the outing. :)

For those running, or looking at air bags and who are worried about stretching them...

Get hold of Daystar (located in Phoenix) about their air bag cups.

Butt sag. That reminds me of my exgirlfriend