Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caliche Chris

People not filling holes....

I'm sure you guys have been on claims where you see the giant hole dug that someone didn't fill and that no one else is volunteering to fill. So lets say your working a claim and you've got a good spot to dig, if you dig a hole and don't want to have to redig every time you come back what are the guidelines for that. What I mean is, lets say your going to be digging in the same spot for some time could you keep working on the same hole as long as you intend to eventually fill it? I mean if you fill in your holes everyday your not going to be able to get very deep and you'll be doing a ridiculous amount of backbreaking work. Just wondered what you guys thought about this issue. I'm going to join the GPAA because I found a couple claims close by. One of them has a massive hole dug into a bank about 6 feet deep and 6 feet across. It looks like a great spot to keep digging but I don't want to get blamed for not filling in that crater that was already dug.

I only work my own claim. The spring run off fills in my previous year's digs.

I suppose that if you are going to be moviing around a lot that you should

fill behind you, but if you are going to stay active in the same spot for a while

I don't see why you should fill 'til you're done. I'm talkin' about "in stream" prospecting.

I agree in that if you are still working the hole it doesn`t make sense to fill in everytime you leave when your coming back to it. I fill in my metal detecting holes when I get the target but highbanking holes on my personal claim? Not to much. On a GPAA claim i might so as not to piss off the owner of the claim. GPA claims are member claims so ya I guess I would be a little bit upset if I went down to my claim I let others use and there are dangerous holes someone might fall in and injure their foot or something. Somehow they might be able to sue me or something like that.....The world we live in now. :grr01:

On a claim you don't have to do reclamation until you have finished your work

in an area. I always just do a small area at a time finish the reclamation and then

move on to the next place. That way everyone is happy. In my area there is lots

of kids riding dirt bikes and four wheelers,so I never leave any large holes that

are not attended.

Back filling as I go is how I try to do it.

There are holes. Then there are holes.

post-384-0-69381300-1360985144_thumb.jpg

Holy chit sarge!!!!!! lol! Well blind peeps usually don't drive motor bikes so i guess the ones that see better learn how to fly. hahah!!!

That looks like a "Prepper" is setting up a gunners nest.

Down here we have large holes like that--- except they are in the middle of the highway. --- and I'm not exaggerating much.

Hey Sarge....with you in that hole did that have anything to do with the Glenn affect :ROFL:

Folks Mac ain't kidding about the "chug holes" here.....I've seen cars still in the hole with 4 blown tires....

usually after they passed me doing 30 and them 110.....I just go around the hole too and give them several

good quick beep-beeps :4chsmu1:

I was tempted to see if I could shovel faster than he could climb. That's about all I have to say about that :)

Glenn made that hole with the suction of his new vacuum It runs off his hot air

If you excavate a significant “hole” on a mining claim you own. That represents a danger to anyone passing through. if you leave it unattended, you are obligated to post warning signs, fence, barricade it off, or cover it somehow. Otherwise you are liable for any damages it may cause. Few years back, we opened a short 6ft deep backhoe trench, that we intended to leave open for a few days. We covered it with plywood, used wide flagging to form a perimeter around it & posted warning signs. Came back 2 days later & some yahoo had STOLE the plywood. Go figure.

EDIT TO ADD

On a VERY rich gemstone placer claim I own.

Even with signs all over the place.

We could not keep the general public from digging HOLES.

hre9ag.jpg

USFS was aware of the problem & had cited some of the *$#@!* (expletive) snipers.

Eventually, USFS allowed me to gate the road.

Still didn’t stop those snipers with motorcycles or quad ATV’s.

Eventually did a lease/royalty deal on the property with a commercial gemstone company.

Now, there are 3 separate gates on the road in, GREAT BIG signs & a guard/caretaker is allowed live there all summer season in a motor home.

Exactly what are you mining for?

If you excavate a significant “hole” on a mining claim you own. That represents a danger to anyone passing through. if you leave it unattended, you are obligated to post warning signs, fence, barricade it off, or cover it somehow. Otherwise you are liable for any damages it may cause. Few years back, we opened a short 6ft deep backhoe trench, that we intended to leave open for a few days. We covered it with plywood, used wide flagging to form a perimeter around it & posted warning signs. Came back 2 days later & some yahoo had STOLE the plywood. Go figure.

EDIT TO ADD

On a VERY rich gemstone placer claim I own.

Even with signs all over the place.

We could not keep the general public from digging HOLES.

hre9ag.jpg

USFS was aware of the problem & had cited some of the *$#@!* (expletive) snipers.

Eventually, USFS allowed me to gate the road.

Still didn’t stop those snipers with motorcycles or quad ATV’s.

Eventually did a lease/royalty deal on the property with a commercial gemstone company.

Now, there are 3 separate gates on the road in, GREAT BIG signs & a guard/caretaker is allowed live there all summer season in a motor home.

elder-miner

I agree and I do the same while working. On the other hand I like the kids and enjoy watching

them have fun. I couldn't sleep knowing that one might get hurt because I left an open hole on

my claims. Taking some pride in how you manage the ground goes a long way with the public

and the feds. If you plan your work right,there is no excuse for leaving a mess.

Exactly what are you mining for?

GEMSTONES.

I didn't make that mess. Snipers did.

I cleaned it up, because it was on a claim I owned.

elder-miner

I agree and I do the same while working. On the other hand I like the kids and enjoy watching

them have fun. I couldn't sleep knowing that one might get hurt because I left an open hole on

my claims. Taking some pride in how you manage the ground goes a long way with the public

and the feds. If you plan your work right,there is no excuse for leaving a mess.

In placer projects, we excavate tightly around a good number of mature tree's, without damaging the root ball.

Leaving them in place, so the mined out area can reseed naturally.

We have also recieved free seedling trees from USFS & partialy replanted a project site.

In reclamation, at our own expense we have gone so far as to contour grade then hydo-seed our mined out area with a mulch mountain meadow flower & grass mix.

Next spring, after everything bloomed, area looked better than it did, before we started mining.

Doing so, builds a credible track record with BLM/USFS.

Which helps a LOT, in getting approval for the next project.

elder-miner

I hope that you didn't think that I was making reference to the holes in your photos,

or your operation. I am very impressed with how you conduct your operation and was

only agreeing with your statements. I should have separated my post a little better so

it didn't look like it was all addressed to you.

We are on the same page about reclamation, mining practice and how we conduct our

activities. After agreeing with your statements,the rest of my post was about my situation

and my reasons for not leaving a mess on my claims.

Sawmill, I didn't take it that way at all.

Once I got to know you, we have always been on the same page & agree on about everything.

That comes from a lot of been-there-done-that.

As we have, just in different places.

Ran into a guy on the GPAA claim where I found the cave that prompted me to start this thread. He told me after the first real rain this year, there won't be a trace of the hole left. It's right in the bank of a wash so he's probably right.

While out prospecting I noticed like 10 freshly dug holes.. Here I am wasting my time to fill in his holes because I still want to prospect there. Some people.. :/

I find the whole dirt bike / OHV issue a major enimiga .

If you look at the rules that come on the maps they give out you will notice that they say to ride on the posted trails.

Nothing says or implies that you can ride up and down the hills of dirt that are NOT on the trail. Yet here is Ca I see numerous spots where Bikers have made new paths and completely denudes the hillside or created trenches 4 ft deep in an oval where they let their kids ride the ATV'S round and round.

I figure it is only a matter of time till they shut down jawbone canyon, and red rock canyon and the whole Randsburg area to OHV traffic.

A few years ago they started to post signs and put physical borders along the main path on last chance canyon road. Where it comes in from the 14.

Camping out at Bill Evens lake two Quads came ram Rodding throught the camp site. Up a hill posted No Travel.

After being dusted a few times, I got my self a few good size Rocks.

Yep! I popped one in the chest with the a big ass rock.

He came to a Stop and gave me the What Fore.

I told him if he does it again it will be allot worst , it will not be a Rock.

The guy was going so fast he was chucking gravel onto my BB-Q Grill.

I understand it's more then fun.

I understand you get tied up in the Run.

I understand you need to read the signs and give people like me our space and follow the Rules.

Guys (especially young & drinking) can get crazy on bikes & quads. Going about 3 miles an hour in my jeep on a narrow creek side dirt-gravel road - eyeballing the creek for a spot to do some panning, 3 young men on hot rod dirt bikes passed me going about 50 or 60 MPH. Their knobby tires threw robin egg sized rocks at high velocity straight into my windshield, resulting in 3 hits that spider web cracked the windshield into a maze of cracks. Sure would have like to have a face to face discussion with those young guns, but could not catch them.

Another time, setting in my tree shaded creek side camp, some young guns went by on quads, about 100 feet away from me up a dead end road, each had AR’s or similar weapons & large capacity magazines. About 10 minutes later, heard a lot of fast semi-auto firing, noticed my tent quivered a bit. Took a look at it, 3 bullet holes in one side & out the other. I took cover, waited for firing to stop, backed by truck into the road in a tight spot, blocking it. Set up a chair behind the truck, sat down cradling 12 gauge auto and waited for the youngsters to exit.

Sure enough, short time later they came along. After taking a digital picture of the group, at gunpoint I pleasantly explained shooting like that without being sure you have a solid backstop is really STUPID. Explained I didn’t enjoy the holes in my tent & they were responsible. I got the point across, any more of that crap, expect return fire.

Homie ... Haven't you heard? We no longer have to abide by the rules ... Just ask Obama and his administration! What's good for the goose is good for the gander! Sad state of affairs we live in today ... take me back to the 50's and 60's please!

Mike F