Nugget Shooter Forums

OK How do i choose a Sluice box

gtxkid

I like the Keene or the Proline are there any others to consider.

Should i get a Highbanker Dredge combo.

Hey Kid, first off, since you admitted to bein "really new and not knowin a lot", that just says that you need to do bunch more research about just prospecting, let alone "mining". If I was you, I wouldn't git worried about buyin a bunch of gas powered mining equipment like dredges or highbankers, nope. I'd be more concerned with just learnin to find streaks or deposits with just hand tools. I've sat and watched all kinds of "you tube" video's made by fellers that claim they can't afford to spend money on a decent sluice box so they made one from junk in their garage, but it's funny how they had the money to waste on a 200.-400. dollar video camera. go figure?

So I did all this research fer better than a year about a creek just over 2 hours from where I live, at the same time, I couldn't figure out why water flow and volume were more extreme or exaggerated on trommels, washplants, and highbankers, than with streamsluices, when they all worked on the same principal. I eventually bought me an "Angus MacKirk", it's 3" deep, 10" in. wide, and 70" in. long. Refer to my back posting called "Genuine Michigan Gold". And my other posting called "This ain't no ford truck fender" I ain't got a chance to set this thing yet cause I bought it late in the season, but I can guarantee when I git back to my creek this spring, I'm confident I'll be able to recover in just a couple days the same amount if not much more, than I was able to recover in an entire summer, that is 8-10 visits over 3 months.

But after you've done quite a bit more research, at some point you find yerself at a location that you'll need to physically explore on foot and literally dig, maybe 100s of sample holes, plus you'll need to practice pannin. I suggest using 7-8 bird shot, git a dozen or so, and have an exact count, put em in a pan with a bunch of dirt, a little gravel and some black sand, and learn to pan that out as quick as you can, at the same time NOT loose any bb's. If yer loosin bb's, yer loosin gold.

Alright man, I'm tired of writtin, hope this helps.

RH

Learn to crawl, then walk and then fly. K/P close both work just fine,learn proper classification and operation first. AND even that don't don't mean squat unless your a proven good panner as once got---you gotta GET-John

This is my first post here, but I have been around for awhile, I was once like you and jumped in with both feet with a Keene highbanker. It wore me out. I got the stream sluice and all the simple stuff too at the same time and found that I had more fun with the simple things. The simple Royal Manufacturing sluice produced more than the Keene highbanker did and was used more because I didn't have to work so hard to lug all those buckets of samples to it. You can grab that Royal Sluice by the carrying handle and move it with you. Start simple, then you will know what you want to do next.

Its how you use the sluice, not the brand. Keep in mind that some companies do not build their own equipment but rather just put their name on it before they sell it to you. Eyeball them first, really zoom in before you make your choice.

Edited by cory70

Thanks 10 Karat Gold,i will get a pan and start practice.

I like those new style pans that have two different size ribs in them.

But i will get a few to start to play with to see what is too big or too small.

At 53 years old i would like to get a pan that fits me. 10 12 or 14 probably.

This give's me more to think about.

I really want a sluice bad, but mastering a pan come's first.

14" pan, 1/4" screen, good steel crevice tool or long screwdriver , 8" tweezers(harbor freight), good suction bottle, a few PLASTIC film cannisters, wire brush for cracks and crevices and get it on..John

HJ has it nailed. Start slow and learn first. Enjoy ... and find a little gold before expanding! you can invest a lot of money in this hobby if you want and find out later you bought stuff you will never use but at the time as a newbee you just "had to Have It" ... take bay steps and save yourself some money for the really good stuff as you progress with your experience and knowledge.

Mike F

I do recommend start slow. I may have gotten some equipment too quickly and did not learn the basics of finding a good area. What I’m working on now is the basics of sampling. I’ve set up my dry washer in several places and shoveled in dirt, but most of the times I got little or nothing. Had I sampled first, I would have gotten better reslults by setting up in an area that smapled well.

I need to sample an area, and if the creek doesn’t have gold choose another. If it does have good results, I need to keep going up the tributaries until I find a good spot. Its too easy for me to lose patience and set up at an area for the day, but with no good results.

i am 46 and this is good advice everyone is telling you if you do buy a sluice you will move more dirt but without learning to pan it can be a real waste of time... a good pan is not to expensive and a good way to practice is to put a bb or buckshot in the pan of dirt and work it.. if you keep the buck shot or bb your doing it right when you feel good about panning then sloice watch your water level that is going through your sluice most of the time if the water level is to your first knuckle and its moving farly quick the sluice should help you move more dirt and ask people alot of questions try some , ... good luck if you are in utah i can give you some pay dirt from my claim for free ..

I would add to take some of those lead shavings and flatin them with a hammer; even make some tiny ones. Practice getting tiny flat flakes and the bigger rounded one will take care of themselves. and paint em bright.

• 2 weeks later...

After all this time of research and spending a little time with a new old timer friend i decided to build my own sluice.

I want to use this Gold Hog Mat, WOW have you guys seen this.

Have a friend bend me a piece of aluminum probably 10" x 52

Might even make an extenuation for it to use with a 1/8 screen mesh bottom so i can put my Gold Cube under it when up on bank.

Have to start with something and from what i researched and have seen over the last few weeks this looks like a good place to start.

Going to be cheep enough anyway.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Hope to see you guys out this summer.

I haven't found a single Flake yet.... but that's okay! I haven't gotten over the gold yet but i do practice with BB's and slivers of Lead small enough that you need tweezers to pick them up. Glad to say my last panning recovered every single piece..... I shocked myself and was very happy with that.

Joe

post-26225-0-32678200-1361605081_thumb.j

post-26225-0-52416800-1361605128_thumb.j

years ago I bought some gold from a miner in Auburn, CA. I held onto that and learned to pan watching gold fever. I upped the size by cutting up lead split shot.

Rockhunter, i fully agree, hand tools to start. Many a miner went broke buying all the goodie stuff and not knowing what to look for.

I haven't found a single Flake yet.... but that's okay! I haven't gotten over the gold yet but i do practice with BB's and slivers of Lead small enough that you need tweezers to pick them up. Glad to say my last panning recovered every single piece..... I shocked myself and was very happy with that.

Joe

Are you going to the nuggetshooter outing ? That will be a good way to learn a little on where to go and why...

I have material and pan an stuff should be here today or tomorrow.

Also a new friend is show me 1 time how to.

Are you going to the nuggetshooter outing ? That will be a good way to learn a little on where to go and why...

Was going as i have it marked on the calender but a doctors appt has to be kept saturday at noon...... I'm going to miss a real good one it seems :cry2:

Do most leave early on Sunday Morning.

Joe