Nugget Shooter Forums
Uncle Ron

Happy Ridge keeps on giving

Yo All ... Yesterday I decided to go back to Happy Ridge at LSD and try a different approach ... I hadn't found any nuggets there for my last half dozen visits and had pretty much written it off as officially "hammered"...I'd been thinking about how I had hunted it and realized that I probably had made a big mistake ... Previously I'd determined that the gold was only in gray dirt ... So I hooked up my Joey mono to my ML4500 and started hunting a small area of red dirt well below where the original patch was ... Sure enough, about one minute into my hunt, I got a good signal which turned out to be a little cute 0.3 gram dink ... Another 10 minutes of very slow swinging produced a screaming signal from a spot that had cholla and bush hog cacti growing up in a spanish dagger bush ... It was hard getting my pick up in there, and I got a number of cactus spines in my hand and wrist, but finally I had a target in the pile ... Got the target into my scoop and was disappointed to see it was a scrap of an old tin can ... However, I stuck the Joey up into the hole once more and it still was screaming ... I figured I had a buried tin can, but then I realized I had seen that early scrap of metal on my pick magnet before...It had fallen off while I dug the hole ... So I dug down about 10" and finally the screamer was out of the hole ... As I halved the dirt with the scoop, I suddenly heard a solid "clunk" as the target hit the scoop ... Yowza!!! Turned out to be nearly half an ounce chunker ... 8.8 DWT! Great way to end a dry spell ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-16138300-1360173363_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-27272400-1360173380_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-34940900-1360173402_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-82753800-1360173414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Ron

I bet you worked pretty carefully around those cactus and catclaw. Good on you Ron, but don't get all the gold before we get there for the outing. That is a nice peice of gold. :-)

:yesss:

Old Tom

WTG Ron, very nice way to end a dry spell for certain!

Hard work paid good Unc.....glad you like that little Joey coil....I have two of them....mono and DD....that

is sure a beautiful piece of gold....thanks for the pics....

Dang...now thats a good story on finding a nice nugget.
Glad you didnt give up on it as trash :)
WTG!
Tom H.

Ron now that's the way to beat the skunk for sure, that cholla and other cactus was guarding it for you so you had to pay the security fee of a few spines to retrieve the GOLD!!! :thumbsupanim

Ticket sales for the LSD outing just doubled :4chsmu1: Thats a honker of a nugget Ron....Congrats !! :head:

I heard our Unc is giving tours of his patches and free maps to the first 0 members....

nice gold!

fred

I heard our Unc is giving tours of his patches and free maps to the first 0 members....

nice gold!

fred

I wish.... Nice gold Unc Ron

Nice nugget Ron WTG :thumbsupanim I was out there on saturday and seen you zoom by on your atv and on the way out seen your truck with the trailer :4chsmu1: I was beepin with Lon and we both managed to beat the skunk with a couple of dinks but Lons was a little bigger and so he got one of his dollars back :grr01: Mike C... :200:

Great payoff for a bloody job well done!

Hi Unc, beautiful nugget.. congratulations! The big ones always make you feel good for a few days until you want more! :yesss:

Edited by goldstudmuffin

Thanks all ... Russ, you are right about the temporary high you get off of finding a good nugget ... I went back out today and sort of surveyed the whole hillside patch and realized that small patch of red dirt was the only area that I had not covered eleven ways from Sunday over the past year ... No targets today at all ... Nugget shooting is like a drug, you get a good high then, after a few days, you get depressed .... :cry2: ... But I still love to rattle the poke, until Dodacious makes me stop so she can hear American Idol !!!! :D /// Cheers, Unc

Nice Shootin!

Beautiful nuggets, I love the ones with holes.

Great to see you using my old Joey I miss that coil more now :) Folks don't realize just how deep they can detect. I've dug targets that size @ 16" with that Joey.

Yo, Chris... That Joey mono is one sweet coil ... I've found a butt load of nuggets, both shallow and deep with it ... Thanks for giving me a great deal on it ... (I'm not sure if that is a butt load troy or adv., but it's a great coil) ... :nutty::rolleyes::inocent::wee: Cheers, Unc

Aww man Cuz, yer killin' me...but what a way to go! :yesss:

Keep up the good work, and keep on finding that good stuff!

Cuz Gary in the cold country...

No pain...no gain...and that honkr' is beautiful indeed!!John :4chsmu1:

WTG Ron!!! Keep em coming!!!!!