Nugget Shooter Forums

Pictograph help

Doe's anyone have any Ideas on how to enhance a photograph to bring out what was once on this rock??

The first image is one side of the rock and my hunting partners a couple of my grandkids..The other image is the one I'm needing help with..DSCF0436_zps4f150397.jpgDSCF0439_zpsb7920c4e.jpg

SB,

This is a simple invert of the 1st picture.

My guess is go to fork in road, cross the river or stream, and watch out for big cat... :D

The 2nd picture had nothing on it.

post-26159-0-75359000-1359968054_thumb.j

Here is the best site I know to ask, learn and share information about treasure marks and reading signs.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-marks-signs/

Your picture is, IMHO indian rock art and not treasure related.

Cant make out much on the 2'ed one. It may have a headless turtle pointing down.

A common method is to trace the drawings with chalk to enhance them for photographing.

Edited by nvchris

Yes, here's a little Photoshop work targeting certain shades for increased saturation, adjusting contrast, levels, curves, creating hue/saturation adjustment layers for boosting specific channels, so on and so forth:

post-1023-0-94236600-1360345781_thumb.jp

Edited by bigrex

Nice enhancement, bigrex.

Now that you did that, the image to me looks like a deer.

The dark red small circle is it's eye, and just above it is the horn(s) pointing down. It's one of those things when you have to look just "off" the subject but not focused right on it, then it's easier to see the whole image.

What say others?

Greg

Edited by AuTSaurus

Nice enhancement, bigrex.

Now that you did that, the image to me looks like a deer.

The dark red small circle is it's eye, and just above it is the horn(s) pointing down. It's one of those things when you have to look just "off" the subject but not focused right on it, then it's easier to see the whole image.

What say others?

Greg

Thanks,

I thought it kind of looked like a horse with maybe another figure of some sort out front. Still difficult to tell exactly what was depicted there.

Edited by bigrex

Wow thats pretty neat Bigrex, Guess I need to look into photo shop....And thank you everyone for your help and thoughts on them..I don't think their treasure related but was curious about the side thats hardest to see..Thanks again

• 3 months later...

Sklybones,

There is a program called Dstrectch that is specifical meant for pictographs.

http://www.dstretch.com/

It does wonders for all the pictographs I have used it on, even bringing out faded ones thought lost.

Very cool and thanks for the link!

Thanks SpyV I think this is just what I was looking for...Now with what I've seen from the web site I wonder how many pictographs are on the rocks that I cant see at all thats some amazing stuff there...And I would like to also thank Bill for having such a great site for people to share things like this that alot of us have a hard time finding but this brings everyone together and help each other ..God I love this site...Just wish I had more gold pics to share..lol

You're probably right Rodd. this boulder sits at the end of a small canyon that has quite a bit of water washing down it during the very few thunder storms we get here, so it's very possible that there could be more hidden below the surface...I know of another pictograph site about 20 miles from this one that someone has dug down and there was more wrighting below the surface level,,I'm going to get some pictures of that one also,, that site was from a war that the shoshone had with the piautes here and the shoshone came back to that spot to celebrate thier victory,,Back in the 40's-50's people used to be able to go across the wash from the pictograph site and get arrows that the indians shot across the wash into a small cave...That site needs to be photoed and enhanced also.it's hard to see also...