Nugget Shooter Forums

Metal Free Boots

beaudurkee

Wanted to get my first pair of metal free boots. Was tired of the false signals when walking. Did some research and reading, then decided to contact Bates Boots. I carefully explained what I wanted them for and that they needed to be metal free. They responded to my email quickly and had 5 different models they said would work for me. I read the description of each, made my choice and ordered a pair. I selected the Bates Delta 9. Took them out for the first time over the weekend. Great pair of boots. Spent 13 hours of hard walking and not one blister. Just one problem... they were not actually metal free. They have a lot less metal than my old boots and the false signals were greatly reduced. But dang it, I wanted metal free. Does anyone have any suggestion for a true 100% metal free boot?

There is a topic on boots here and Mike Furness knows about them but I bought a boot called Magnum Essential Equipment and a model called Stealth Force 8.0 and it is metal free. They have other models. They are an international shoe rated for stealth situations in combat areas but I bought them because it was at the surplus store and they are almost as comfortable as my marathon running shoes.

Mitchel

I have been looking for detecting boots someone told me Walmart has 100% metal free boots for $39

you might want to check them out I am next time I go to the store

Renegade Bob

"Just one problem... they were not actually metal free. They have a lot less metal than my old boots and the false signals were greatly reduced. But dang it, I wanted metal free. Does anyone have any suggestion for a true 100% metal free boot?"

I dont even understand this thread....If you are using a Gold Bug it willl give a signal on your foot , weather your boot is metal free or not. If you are using a PI machine , you will need metal free boots, but it isnt neccessary for VLF machines.

I just picked up a pair of New Balance 992MTN boots from LA Police Gear (approx $95) ... I have worn them for 4 days now and they are the most comfortable and supportive boots I have ever had on. When they were first delivered I took them out of the box and placed them on the ground outside. I passed both my GPX5000 and 8" commander coil and my White's MXT with elitical DD coil across the boots ... so signal. That is a good thing as sometimes I use a large coil and don't want any chance of false signals from my boots. The other no metal boots I have are Converse C8896 boots. These have been supportive and stood up well ... and of course metal free. Of the two so far I like the NB better ... but I can only wear sneakers by New Balance so am not surprised that their boots are similar in fit. I have a very high arch so the extra arch support at the end of the day makes a lot of difference in comfort. I have never tried a pair of Bates Boots but a lot of the guys use them.

Mike F

"Just one problem... they were not actually metal free. They have a lot less metal than my old boots and the false signals were greatly reduced. But dang it, I wanted metal free. Does anyone have any suggestion for a true 100% metal free boot?"

I dont even understand this thread....If you are using a Gold Bug it willl give a signal on your foot , weather your boot is metal free or not. If you are using a PI machine , you will need metal free boots, but it isnt neccessary for VLF machines.

True, if I run my GB2 directly over any boot it will signal. I'm not talking about running the machine directly over my feet though. I opperate at max sens on the machine.When walking with boots that have metal, even getting within a foot of the coil or lifting my foot up to step can cause my GB to signal. By having a boot with no metal, these false signals go away.

For a Gold Bug it makes very if any difference. Go to lapolicegear.com. They have many choices, but converse is my choice

True, if I run my GB2 directly over any boot it will signal. I'm not talking about running the machine directly over my feet though. I opperate at max sens on the machine.When walking with boots that have metal, even getting within a foot of the coil or lifting my foot up to step can cause my GB to signal. By having a boot with no metal, these false signals go away.

Ok I see then. Well sorry the folks at Bates did you wrong. They do infact carry some true metal free boots though.

Adam I think my computer has different info than yours.....the only 5.11 black boot I can find is a

black tactical boot for 29.99 but it has metal eyelets for the laces....

UPDATE and CROW eating.

I sent Bates a email explaining my issue and asked them to send me some metal free boots. I got a email back the next day, with just a simple request for the serial #. I responded with the #. I got a call from customer service today. The lady told me the boots are metal free. We go back and forth for a while arguing over technically metal free and actually 100% metal free. This was my distintion by the way. She keeps telling me they are metal free and I keep saying they are not. This goes on for a while. By this time I am pacing around the front yard and getting loud on the phone. My wife starts yelling at me from the house it's only a pair of boots for crying out loud... you're embarrassing me with the neighbors. My wife is not making the situation better. Finally I tell girl on the phone listen to this. I grab the detector, unplug the head phones, crank up the volume and start waiving it over the boots and yelling do you hear that. It now dawns on me that they are not making any noise. At this point, I made up a quick excuse about a incoming call and hung up. Standing there in the front yard having a WTF moment, I ran the detector over my feet (I had flip flops on). Right foot, little hum hum. Left foot, zip zip. Forgot all about the metal plate in my left foot. Souvenir from a motorcycle accident 25 years ago.

I wore the heck out of the delts 9`s I used to have. If they have the boot lace lock on two of the eyelets, I had to file the locking part out or I couldnt get my boots off :grr01:

haha Beau im just picturing you pacing back and forth in the front yard as your yelling at your phone with your detector in the other hand swingin over your boots!! LOL!! so they are metal free?

haha Beau im just picturing you pacing back and forth in the front yard as your yelling at your phone with your detector in the other hand swingin over your boots!! LOL!! so they are metal free?

Yep, boots are metal free. Me, not so much.

Archived