Nugget Shooter Forums

What Was Your First Meteorite Hunting Experience?

I'm just wondering about what it was like for all of you when you went out for the first time to hunt. Did you do anything silly that you look back on and laugh about? Did you have any actual finds? Who went with you or were you by yourself? Where did you go? Etc. Come on guys, indulge me...

I haven't gone yet! I did take my new magnet stick out in the yard to test it, and collected many, many bits of nails & screws & washers & so on. It was funny how excited I got every single time something leapt over to the magnet.

O.K. kid, I'll start ya off here on this post.
I was a "lucky duck" when I started. By that I mean I was fortunate enough to get started hunting meteorites by a seasoned gold prospector and meteorite hunter.
May he R.I.P because I think of him all the time.
Jim Smaller had befriended me when I moved to Northwest Az. and we became quite good friends over the years. He initiated me to the Gold Basin and Franconia meteorite fields.
I made the usual mistakes of getting excited when I hit a target and then figuring out it was a terrestrial find in the begining.
I never hunted with a stick and magnet I jumped back into metal detecting after a 20 year absence. I started right off with his direction and advise and detected a meteorite the 1st trip I had made with him.
I must admit I had a great start in learning meteorite hunting. Thats all it took was that 1 find and I was HOOKED like a trout.
To me it was the greatest thing since toilet paper, such excitement digging up or finding on the surface an actual "piece of outer space" here on mother earth.
I would say this to you, I know there are many people who hunt with a magnet stick. And thats perfectly fine.
BUT I would definately suggest when you are able to get a starter or 1st detector go for it.
You will be in heaven. Detecting them is truly awesome. And nowadays there not really super easy to find on the surface except in areas that are not heavily trafficked.
I have detected and dug some fairly deep meteorites that would never otherwise have been found.
Well hope this gets yer blood flowin and makes ya wanna git out there an do it.
Good Luck an Hapy Huntn. :D

My first hunt was on the closest dry lake I could find to my house, Rabbit Dry Lake. I spent several hour walking around on it and picking up anything that stuck to my magnet. I didn't find anything, but it was cool to finally get out and look.

I got pretty lucky, I learned about the Gold Basin strewn field from Bill at one of his outings when I was just hunting for gold. Saw a couple finds so I knew what to look for, and my next trip up there (I almost always prospect alone) I decided to spend a few days looking for meteorites and found about 15 bits and pieces...just happened to hit a good part of the strewn field I guess, only found that many in a day one other time since then. That was on a club claim that anyone can join and I still pull a few out of that same area I found my first pieces at occasionally!

O.K. kid, I'll start ya off here on this post.

I was a "lucky duck" when I started. By that I mean I was fortunate enough to get started hunting meteorites by a seasoned gold prospector and meteorite hunter.

Jim Smaller had befriended me when I moved to Northwest Az. and we became quite good friends over the years. He initiated me to the Gold Basin and Franconia meteorite fields.

I made the usual mistakes of getting excited when I hit a target and then figuring out it was a terrestrial find in the begining.

I never hunted with a stick and magnet I jumped back into metal detecting after a 20 year absence. I started right off with his direction and advise and detected a meteorite the 1st trip I had made with him.

I must admit I had a great start in learning meteorite hunting. Thats all it took was that 1 find and I was HOOKED like a trout.

To me it was the greatest thing since toilet paper, such excitement digging up or finding on the surface an actual "piece of outer space" here on mother earth.

I would say this to you, I know there are many people who hunt with a magnet stick. And thats perfectly fine.

BUT I would definately suggest when you are able to get a starter or 1st detector go for it.

You will be in heaven. Detecting them is truly awesome. And nowadays there not really super easy to find on the surface except in areas that are not heavily trafficked.

I have detected and dug some fairly deep meteorites that would never otherwise have been found.

Well hope this gets yer blood flowin and makes ya wanna git out there an do it.

Good Luck an Hapy Huntn. :D

Aw, thank you! I think eventually, once I kind of understand how this works and get the other things purchased, then I will start looking into metal detectors. How much does a decent one cost? I'm afraid to look.

My first hunt was on the closest dry lake I could find to my house, Rabbit Dry Lake. I spent several hour walking around on it and picking up anything that stuck to my magnet. I didn't find anything, but it was cool to finally get out and look.

Awesome - that's how I felt even in my yard! I need to get my hands on some maps and figure out where there are dry lakes near Tucson.

I got pretty lucky, I learned about the Gold Basin strewn field from Bill at one of his outings when I was just hunting for gold. Saw a couple finds so I knew what to look for, and my next trip up there (I almost always prospect alone) I decided to spend a few days looking for meteorites and found about 15 bits and pieces...just happened to hit a good part of the strewn field I guess, only found that many in a day one other time since then. That was on a club claim that anyone can join and I still pull a few out of that same area I found my first pieces at occasionally!

Sounds great. I can't wait 'til I find the first one. And the one after that. And the one after that............ What is a club claim?

You can keep your eyes open for a Whites GMT or Fisher Gold Bug2 for 3-5 hundred used .
If you are vigilant you might come across something like these at a yard or estate sale for even less

Edited by frank c

Aloha guys,

I will never forget my first hunt: It was the day after I received my GMT (traded a pistol for it with SGTFDA) and was invited to hunt out at Franconia . JAYRAY took me out there and we met up with AZDIGGER and proceeded to hunt the area. i think I must have hunted less than 30 minutes when I decided to take a shortcut thru a boulder/stone strewn area to get to a good looking area that Azdigger was hunting. I had my GMT on and was causally swinging it when I had my ears blownoff with a LOUD grunt. Lo and Behold there sitting stuck between two big rocks was a 300 gram complete stone. Fully encrusted with fusion crust and looking just awsome. Of course no one was around so I just picked it up till later. I can still remember the looks I got from Rick and Jason when I pulled it out of my side pocket and asked "Is this a meteorite?" i was lucky enough to get it featured in the Whites Metal detecting website that december. After that, it was GAME ON for me!

Ah, them were the good old days.

Aloha and stay safe out there guys,

Stan aka Kaimi

I too was taken under the Wing of a fantastic friend and mentor, Jim Smaller (Paleface) RIP.

He took me litteraly and point to an area, "Hunt there , go slow and listen, you should find one...30 min. later I had my first...but not my last.

My first came from Franconia and it was during an Outing. Met lots of good friends at these outings.

Even if my health does not let get out and walk like I used to I still want to go hunt.

Beautiful stories. Thank you for typing them out, guys.

I can't wait until I have one to post.

I was the lucky person to be invited by Jim Kriegh and John Blennert to help map the Gold Basin strewnfield for the University of Arizona. See my post under Tucson is Coming...

Twink

Frank -- In spite of the fact I never had the chance to meet Jim, I miss him too. He was a fellow rockhound and I really enjoyed reading his posts and learned a lot from the knowledge he shared.

R.I.P. Jim

Steve