Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mn90403

Tucson is coming ...

The Tucson Gem and Mineral show with lots of meteorite events is coming next week. Have any of you attended, sold or bought at this show? Will you be there?

I met one of the meteorite men at the National Metal Detecting Day and I am on his mailing list and he says:

----------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
Subject: [meteorite-list] 2013 Tucson Gem Show Party Details!

Dear Listees:

As most of you know, for the past thirteen years my "Meteorite Men"
co-host, Steve Arnold, and I have held the "Meteor Mayhem Birthday
Bash" in the middle of the Tucson gem show. This is due partly to the
fact that we share the same birthday -- Feb. 1 -- and partly because
we like to do something positive, each year, to bring the meteorite
community together. It's not an easy task, but we try : )

The Birthday Bash started off rather small, at El Charro many years
ago, and has now grown into a major event with live video broadcasts,
award ceremonies, comedy sketches, guest stars, and so on. It is also
a monumental task to organize. With the added responsibility of
exhibiting at two locations during the gem show as well as numerous
science, education, and media obligations, I have discovered that I
cannot devote the amount of time required to properly plan the party.
I know this is a very popular event and I would be sad to cancel it,
especially in light of the fact that a number of people fly in
especially for it, each year.

I am therefore delighted to announce that, as of this year, my
excellent friend Maria Haas will be hosting the event, which we'll
probably now just call the "Meteor Mayhem Bash" or something like
that. Steve and I will still be present, the Harvey Awards will
continue, but we will see some fresh direction and thought put into
the awards and the party. The time has come to happily hand over the
baton.

Maria is the extremely popular Treasurer of the IMCA, a Tucson
resident, and one heck of a good party planner (I know this from
personal experience). With a new host comes a new and exciting venue,
with great live music from local Tucson artists:

The party will be Friday, February 8th, 2013 at:

El Dorado Restaurant & Bar
1949 S 4th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85713

Happy Hour/Cocktails: 7 - 9 pm

Harvey Awards: 9:00 pm

Live music with: Kevin Pakulis, Amy Langley, and Coyote Supper Club:
10 pm

If this is your first time visiting Tucson and you perhaps feel that
you don't have any friends here, please know you are WARMLY invited.
The party is a great way to meet a very large part of the meteorite
community in one place, at one time. First-timers are *especially*
welcome!

And that's it. It'll be a little different, but it'll also be great.
Steve and I will both be there, I will be considerably less stressed,
and am planning on having a stellar time : )

Big thanks to Maria, see you all there, cheers!

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com
www.meteorites.co

so, is there a comprehensive list of meteorite-related events (going on w/the gem show), somewhere?

The Tucson Gem and Mineral show with lots of meteorite events is coming next week. Have any of you attended, sold or bought at this show? Will you be there?

Hey, Mitchel. I used to go to the show every year as a kid in the 1980s. I've recently started going again and have been every year for the past few. See you there!

I guess this is the most official site! It lists people, vendors and hotels where things happen. Just select what you want.

http://www.meteorite.com/tucson-visitors/

Yay! Thank you!!!!!!! (Thanks for all the links above, as well.)

For anyone attending the Meteorite Auction February 9th,my son Chris and I will be showing a 30 minute DVD of my personal photo album of the Gold Basin Project, which began with Jim Kriegh and John Blennert in November 1995. I tried to document the mapping of the field adventures with my camera, and also on the DVD are Tucson Show photos and the meteorite parties we used to have for a few years featuring the late Jim Kriegh and the late O. Richard Norton and lots of others. You will see Jim and John cutting up meteor/wrongs out in the field with a generator until we got the hang of the meteor-rights. The cakes get cut at 7 PM sharp, and there are 12 Gold Basins buried in one cake and 19 Franconias hiding in the second cake. Just like real meteorite hunting, some are very small and some a bit larger.

The auction info:

http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/AuctionTucson2013.html

I will show the DVD about 5 times between 5:00 and 7:30 as it is only 30 minutes.

Twink

I want to thank Troy Ball and Jim Wooddell for donating the Franconia meteorites for the Franconia cake for the auction. I still have a stash of small ones from the old Gold Basin days I use for the Gold Basin cake. Perhaps next year I could do a Holbrook cake in addition to the Gold Basin cake. If a bunch of us donate just one Holbrook each during this coming year that might be fun.

Twink

Twink, I've been wanting to make this event for just about 7 years now but just haven't been able.
I guess you'd say its on my "bucket list"
Sounds like a fantastic time for all who attend with so much to see and learn.

Folks, If you go, you just can not miss Twink's cake. She puts a lot of effort into making that part of the event happen! Wendy found her very first Gold Basin Meteorite from that cake a few years back and since then has mastered hunting Gold Basin!

Twink, we are not making it this year but I sure would appreciate some pictures of the cake! Looks like lots of folks will be "finding" meteorites this year!

Thank you for all your efforts!

Jim

Looking forward to it, Twink, thanks for all your efforts! If I have another trip to Holbrook in 2013 like I did it 2012 I'll donate to the cake for next year.

Mike

For anyone attending the Meteorite Auction February 9th,my son Chris and I will be showing a 30 minute DVD of my personal photo album of the Gold Basin Project, which began with Jim Kriegh and John Blennert in November 1995. I tried to document the mapping of the field adventures with my camera, and also on the DVD are Tucson Show photos and the meteorite parties we used to have for a few years featuring the late Jim Kriegh and the late O. Richard Norton and lots of others. You will see Jim and John cutting up meteor/wrongs out in the field with a generator until we got the hang of the meteor-rights. The cakes get cut at 7 PM sharp, and there are 12 Gold Basins buried in one cake and 19 Franconias hiding in the second cake. Just like real meteorite hunting, some are very small and some a bit larger.

The auction info:

http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/AuctionTucson2013.html

I will show the DVD about 5 times between 5:00 and 7:30 as it is only 30 minutes.

Twink

Wow, Twink, that is quite an entry to meteorite hunting! How awesome.

Would love to see that DVD, & that sounds like the best cake ever. I'll be there.

For those of you who have never been to this show, it's a must see. You will be amazed at the sheer number of vendors,displays,etc. I think even if you spent a week down there, you would never see it all. It was pretty big when I was attending the shows and I often wonder how much bigger it's gotten since.

Steve

Frank C. and others who will not be at the auction -- I was telling John B. that I would like to share th eGold Basin DVD with all of you, somehow. If you can figure out a way for me to mail a copy to one of you, then perhaps it could be mailed to others. Please let me know and I will mail it to one of you to get the chain started if you think this would work. Once I send it I would not need to be involved as to who gets it next. If anyone has a better idea how to do this please speak up. It is a 30 minute DVD/slide show of my personal photo album from GB and I have been wanting to get it documented permanently for years, finally did it! Tthe last half will be photos of Gem Show years ago and the parties we had but I know you hunters will enjoy the first part with Gold Basins literally easy to find everywhere in 1996-98. I paid to get several copies made so I would not need it back. I already gave one to J.B of course! He taught Jim K. how to use the detector first and then they both spent a lot of time patiently trying to teach me. I know I must have driven them crazy as I would spend too much time analyzing each hot rock, then at last I realized the correct sound and then it became a lot of fun. Listen for the "Zip Zip" as Jim kept telling me.

Twink

Twink, I'd love to see it. Do you still have my address?

Jim

I will mail it to you, please send me your address again.

Twink

Tucson is here!!

I saw my first 3 dealers this afternoon and will see many more things other than meteorites.

If you are here and want to meet up or chat about what I have seen call me at 310-308-6935

If you are not here and want something call me too.

Mitchel

Mitchel, If this is your first show, you are in for a treat. Just so many things to see and not enough time to do it. Take some pictures for all the guys who can't make it.- if you can.

Steve

Johnno is there now and apparently drooling bad over many specimens. Hope he does not get kicked out, but Kat should be able to keep a pink bib on him!

I'll take plenty of pictures and as many 'detailed' ones as they will let me. My eye will get much sharper looking at all of these different meteorites. A picture in a book or on the internet is nice but there is no substitute for seeing some of these things up close and personal.

I'll give updates at night.

Mitchel

I am trying to upload my pictures from the hotel but it is not letting me do it successfully. I've been with Twink, Don, Steve and Vickie and now Robbie and his dad have shown up for the party tonight. I won an Imilchil meteorite last night at the dinner. It is just over 7 grams. So much to see. I'm glad I don't collect most of this stuff or I would be broke buying it.

I like finding it.

Mitchel

i made it to the show at the last minute today, with my best friend.

and i fell in love! with an esquel pallasite. but had to leave it, alas. ohhhh the pallasites.

i feel like it was all a dream. i left with a copy of geoff notkin's book, and a teensy sikhote alin.

Good for you! I'm going to the party now.

Mitchel

party???? aw! have fun!