Nugget Shooter Forums

Time in the hills and a broken quad

TomH

Welp.............heres the story..........

Took off work today cuz I figured it would be awsome out in the deserts. I was right. I was awsome!

Cool, cloudy, bit of rain, just a great day for detecting.

Towed the quad in and dropped dad of at a wash for him to play in.

Took the quad up about 5 miles and was just enjoying the day. Birds flying around. Acting like a 20 old on the quad....Cool weather..no sense of impending doom...

Had to open a fence....quad died? Hmmm...no sense of impending doom...

Tried to restart and NOT!....battery didnt have enough juice in it to fire it up.

Guess its not charging. Will have to look into that.

Well, Crimmy.........what to do. Dad wont be on the walkie talkie for 2 hrs so.........lets go detect.

Maybe if it cools down a little it will fire up.

Hit a wash where I ran into Joe No Shoulders last year..........nutten but scrap.

Back to the quad and it still wont start.

Looks like your walking bud.

Hid all the valuables up a wash and started hoofing it. Decided to turn the GPS on and see how far I go and how fast.

3.8 mph average......over 3 bleeping miles!

The GPX 5000 gains about 1 lb for every mile walked. Belive me...its true!!!!!

Finally got ahold of Dad on the walkie talkie.....COME GET ME!!!!

Just like when I was a kid...except this time I wasnt drunk :)

So we got hooked up...got the quad...im shot by this time and we called it a early day.

It was still a great time in the hills. Really nice weather............and a trip I wont forget.

Mental note............extra battery or jumpstart pack on the quad.

Oh. BTW...im feeling it tonight :)

Tom H.

• Like 1

Ouch Tom :grr01: To bad your quad isn`t made by Toyota :4chsmu1: instead of Dodge :hide: or it would have limped :olddude: you back to the truck :inocent: 3.8 MPH in sand is pretty good man ! But your "feeling it" after only 3 miles :rolleyes: Geeezzzz .... Boulderdash and I couldnt take you anywhere :rasberry::head:

• Like 1

Last month, my quad acted up day after a long trip over the hill at Q. Didn't want to get stuck out in never never land ( I don't have anyone to call and hope you gave your dad a big hug!). Took quad into Blythe, $180 later no better (already paid). I took it apart that afternoon but didn't know what to look for so put it back together. Next day, no problems and no problems since, BUT! I took it to my mechanic and had him check it over. More money out, but have peace of mind now. I hunt alot alone and something I should think about more, but just in case, what's your dads phone number? Just in case ;-)

Take care, Shep

Ouch Tom :grr01: To bad your quad isn`t made by Toyota :4chsmu1: instead of Dodge :hide: or it would have limped :olddude: you back to the truck :inocent: 3.8 MPH in sand is pretty good man ! But your "feeling it" after only 3 miles :rolleyes: Geeezzzz .... Boulderdash and I couldnt take you anywhere :rasberry::head:

Oh back in my younger years....ive hoofed it out many times and a lot longer...maybe thats why im feeling it!

Plus...running on 4 hrs sleep dont help. Night shift sucks that way.

Tom

TomH, I am surprised, I thought all of them had hand pull cranks and I am pretty sure my Polaris I had would crank by hand without a battery being installed. I know the Chinaesse 4X4 I used to have would, it had a big engine but I could get both hands on the pull cord and crank it when it was hot.

Dads Rule :yesss:

Max

Last month, my quad acted up day after a long trip over the hill at Q. Didn't want to get stuck out in never never land ( I don't have anyone to call and hope you gave your dad a big hug!). Took quad into Blythe, $180 later no better (already paid). I took it apart that afternoon but didn't know what to look for so put it back together. Next day, no problems and no problems since, BUT! I took it to my mechanic and had him check it over. More money out, but have peace of mind now. I hunt alot alone and something I should think about more, but just in case, what's your dads phone number? Just in case ;-)

Take care, Shep

LOL....BR 549

Just make sure you have a lighter for fire, water and scooby snacks to keep you going.

:)

Tom H.

TomH, I am surprised, I thought all of them had hand pull cranks and I am pretty sure my Polaris I had would crank by hand without a battery being installed. I know the Chinaesse 4X4 I used to have would, it had a big engine but I could get both hands on the pull cord and crank it when it was hot.

Dads Rule :yesss:

Max

Its a 86 Kawasaki Bayou 250.

Ive looked in the past for a add on pull and for some reason...not available.

Tom H.

A bad day in the desert is still better than any day at the office.

Thats what im screaming! :)

Tom

Love the duality of electric/pull or kick whatever as one option is not good. Great TRUE story and very glad it wasn't me as toooo much hiking for a ol'fart anymore,can do,in time ,but sure would NOT wanna do it-Back in 80 s got stuck in the blackrock desert,hiked out MANY miles,came back 2 days later with parts / help and bike gone :200: John :idunno:

My RZR doesn't have a put starter nor can you jump start it. Only way to have a chance is to install a second battery and keep it charged ... or as I started in the beginning carrying a an automotive type jump battery pack! That RZR will put me much further off the traveled road that I want to walk back ... it just has a mind of its own and wants to go further out! ... Can't seem to convince it otherwise!!!! :)

Mike F