Nugget Shooter Forums

Where *Can* I Hunt?

Hi everyone - I'm new here. I live in Tucson, & have been here about eight years. I have an arts background & have been long fascinated by rocks, archaology, astronomy, anthropology, & nature in general. In the last six months or so I seem to have caught meteorite fever. When I saw an article back in September about meteorite hunters, I was like - OH! I WANT TO DO THAT!

So, I've been reading up online and have started tapping into books - have a bunch of things requested through ILL. I have a nice rare earth magnet which is now mounted to my favorite walking stick. I've ordered a triple loupe, etc, and have a GPS. I'm just about ready to hunt.

But - where?

I'm confused by the BLM language, and by what in particular are local (within about two hours' drive, preferably) spots that are legally permissible for me to hunt and remove the less than 10lbs I as a casual collector can take from a public land. Where do I start! I know there are some well-known meteorite folk locally, and the gem show is about to start... but I'm kinda shy, & thought I'd check on here first to see if anyone knew this area specifically.

I understand that Franconia and Holbrook are known strewnfields in AZ, but from what I gather they are pretty picked over, and currently not places where I'd be allowed to hunt.

Oh, and I have a CR-V (older one, with some issues) so I guess I'm looking for sites my car can handle getting to, and that I could go from there by foot.

Thanks a lot for any advice / input you have.

deborah

You mentioned the gem show. Take advantage of that and meet some of your local hunters. You have some of the best hunters in the world living there. They have books you can get right away and help available to so few other people. Meteorite hunters are not a shy lot by nature. They will go in and get a trophy before someone else if given the chance. Go get your knowledge and then your meteorites.

Mitchel

Hi, Deborah. The easiest way to get started is to purchase a BLM surface use map (all the Arizona maps can be found here:http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/maps/iac-maps.html) for the areas you want to visit, they're only $4 ea. from the BLM. You can use those maps to see what areas are BLM managed public lands. They also show State lands, which may or may not be open to the public. Use Google Earth along with the map and pick a spot that looks like good hunting (and is accessible to your vehicle). It sounds like you just want to do some cold hunting, not necessarily at a strewn field, so just pick anywhere that looks good, grab a magnet, and head out! Don't be afraid of the BLM advisory memo, it doesn't stop you from looking and finding, it only stops you from removing more than 10 pounds in a year, which is something that 99.99999999999% of us would never achieve cold-hunting anyway. Good luck!

Mike

Edited by Mikestang

Beb,

Fred is referring to going out on a group hunt. Without knowledge and research you just show up with others and they tell you where to go. I was showing up early to a hunt for meteorites and while looking I found this speci (gold and quartz) at Franconia. As Mike knows and helped someone later on that same group outing, a couple new to meteorite hunting and on a wedding anniversary found a very nice meteorite and they did not have a metal detector.

It is both more fun and better to hunt with someone. In many cases it is also safer so I encourage you to set something up online or at a local Tucson spot and go out with others or meet them there.

I'll be in Tucson next week and I can meet you if you like and we can hunt through a few dealer booths!

Mitchel

thank you so much, everyone. i will have to go buy the BLM maps.

i'd love to go to a known strewnfield, but i'm not sure where any are aside from holbrook & franconia.

i have a friend who would like to come with me to hunt, but she is also super new. she's an astronomy person.

i might like to meet up for hunting the dealer booths, sure!

thanks again. i am so excited. maybe this weekend i will have everything together to go out for my first hunt!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this post today by one of the meteorite hunting community's best hunters:

http://www.nevadameteorites.com/nevadameteorites/New_AZ_Meteorite_Sonny_Clary_1.html

This should give you some new ideas but I don't know WHERE he was hunting.

Mitchel

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this post today by one of the meteorite hunting community's best hunters:

http://www.nevadameteorites.com/nevadameteorites/New_AZ_Meteorite_Sonny_Clary_1.html

This should give you some new ideas but I don't know WHERE he was hunting.

Mitchel

Awesome, can't wait to read this - thank you!

Deb, neither the Holbrook nor Franconia fields are completely picked over, but they do take hours of effort to find meteorites, just like anywhere else. Get a good magnet stick and keep a sharp eye and you can find them.

In addition to the BLM maps already mentioned, I suggest you check out the Meteoritical Bulletin, the MetBul, here: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php , and do a search for meteorites in Arizona, there are many. The Metbul gives locations for each, in degrees of lat/long, that you can put into your GPS to make finding easier. Take these locations with a grain of salt, however, many are famously inaccurate, but are "in the ball park". Another useful resource is the DeLorme Gazetteer map book. It shows all roads and also surface management, BLM, USFS, state, or whatever, of everywhere in the state.

The easiest, and most fun, way to learn about meteorites is to get involved with a group hunt. Check this forum, and also Club Space Rock, at http://meteorites.ning.com/, and other meteorite forums online. Even if you don't find a meteorite the first few times out, it's great fun in the outdoors. Hard to go wrong with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so very much, Ed!!!! I still have yet to go on a 'real' hunt. Hoping to do so very very soon.

Edited by rarity

Good morning Deb. I see that Franconia is on your list of places to hunt. Just to let you know, Lake Havasu City is only 30 - 40 minutes from there. So if you aren't set up for camping, you can find everything you need right here.

I'm not necessarily a meteorite hunter, but I do know the area, and would be happy to show you around a bit. Most of the roads are suitable for a car, but there are some sandy spots to be aware of.

Does your GPS have mapping capabilities? Does it show "section lines"? This is the best way to know just where you are in relation to private, state, and BLM lands.

Patrick .....