Nugget Shooter Forums

Swinging the detector?

rocmoc

I am getting ready to purchase a Gold Bug 2 or a Goldmaster GMT. I have two concerns; have a little shoulder injury so would I be better off with a detector where the box can be belt/chest carried? Does the the one pound difference in weight between the two unit make that much difference? Second, being a newbie would I be better off with the easier to use GMT?

Thanks,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Or you could buy Nevada Chris' Hipstick or Doc's swingy-thingy....I like the Hipstick for all my minelab Pi detecting and I use the swingythingy for my xterra-70;especially at the beach.

I don't know that the gmt is easier to use...personal preference, I guess.

fred

Edited by fredmason

Wow thanks guys, just the kind of info I was looking for (your posts and the followup searchs of the helper items). One of the searchs talked about arm/shoulder wear & tear with gun show belt possiblities.

Again, Thanks.

NOW, any thoughts for a newbie using a Gold Bug 2 vs a Goldmaster GMT? Hunting is in Arizona / Utah and is for Gold & meteorites.

A big thanks,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I already have the Gold Bug 2 and Love it but would also like to have the GMT too and constantly scouring the classifieds for a used one at a good price...... Two really Great pics!

Joe

Aloha Rocmoc,

Have used the GMT with great success and I too have issues with my shoulders. I always wear a backpack with the camelbak unit for water and have found that attaching a bungie cord to my GMT right at the area behind the readout always helped me out a LOT in the long run. The swing thingy and the hip stick units work great also. Just remember that you will need to get out and practice, practice and then practice some more. Get to learn the different "sounds" the unit makes when it runs over different objects. In other words you will need to train your ears to pick up different sounds, almost like in listening to a musical. Once you get the sounds down then you are on the way to a great and fruitful adventure. Just remember. none of this will happen overnite so dont get discouraged.

BTW, if you can find the boox ZIP ZIP by Larry Sallee it is worth the money. A LOT of great tips and hints about your unit. I have one BUT will not part with it until I decide to sell my GMT. HA!!

Good luck out there and stay safe.

Stsn aka Kaimi

I'm reading that book zip zip right now and am on my third time reading thru it...... Really about the best thing i ever read on metal detectors, very very thorough and he really says a lot about the GMT and how to set it up which really applies to all machines..... that's what has me so hyped up on it..... he also mentioned the gold bug as a great machine in there.

Joe

Test swung both the Goldmaster GMT and Gold Bug 2 today. For ME, the choice is the Gold Bug 2. Reason being the ablilty to remove the box from the shaft, belt mount and swing the shaft & coil without the extra weight. Made all the difference in the world for ME, more so than the easier learning curve of the GMT.

Thanks for all the feedback,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I have the GMT and I love it, I also have the Tesoro super trac and I love it also. swung a buddies GB2 and it is awesome. Can close your eyes and grab one and your good to go, just practice with it till your neighbors think you have a screw loose. Dig every target till you master that thing. Good luck.

Test swung both the Goldmaster GMT and Gold Bug 2 today. For ME, the choice is the Gold Bug 2. Reason being the ablilty to remove the box from the shaft, belt mount and swing the shaft & coil without the extra weight. Made all the difference in the world for ME, more so than the easier learning curve of the GMT.

Thanks for all the feedback,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Your going to really like that Gold Bug 2 ....... The smallest ellipical 6" coil is the best for very small near surface or on bedrock flakes. In case you don't have it already here's a link to the manual and a coil comparison chart

Joe

http://lghttp.5907.nexcesscdn.net/804D56/assets-lg/Manual/EN/Fisherlabs_Goldbug2.pdf

Coil comparison chart

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/field-tests/GoldBug2FieldTest.pdf

After spending that money on a great detector be sure to do the same thing for headphones to get the most out of it

Edited by Joe Z