Nugget Shooter Forums

Picked up a Whites GMT

beaudurkee

Although metal detecting is my #1 obsession, searching Craigslist for deals is a distant 2nd. Got a nearly brand new Whites GMT, pick and head phones for $250 today. Didn't really need the machine, because I like my GB2 so much. Figured it would be nice to have for a spare. I always have people that want to go with me and check metal detecting out. Now I have a tool to introduce people to the hobby with. I have a Garrett Infinium I picked up for the same reason. But, I can't figure it out. So no way I was going to put it in the hands of a beginner.

• Like 2

Dern sweet deal for sure!

I was able to snag a GB2 for 280 from Craigs list.

Lots of good deals out there if you search.

Glad you got one of them :)

Tom H.

Yep, good machine. Found my first non-panned gold with one.

And Jim McCullough on here will attest to their abilities.

The GB is a great tool, too. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Wow, great deal! Would have bought it myself.

Just curious about the Infinium, what is there to figure out? It makes a noise, you dig it up. Hard to be any simpler than that.

My Infinium makes noise all the time for no rhyme or reason. Short of sending it back to Garrett, I don't know what to do with it.

Beau ... Fred is right on the money ... send it back ... one thing wrong can and usually will make it almost impossible to locate whatever you are going after. You should be able to tune that machine to be very quiet if not silent other than a smooth threshold ... SEND IT BACK TO WHITE"S for analysis and repair.

Mike F

My Infinium makes noise all the time for no rhyme or reason. Short of sending it back to Garrett, I don't know what to do with it.

All the time where? The Infinium like most PI units is susceptible to electromagnetic interference (EMI). No surprise if around the house or even in town. If you are well and truly away from EMI sources and the units makes random noise just sitting there, then it may need to go back to Garrett. Be sure batteries are in correctly if using AA as a reversed cell can cause issues. If you have a spare coil try it out also. Coils cause more problems than control boxes. If the issue is only when moving the detector around could be loose coil cable if it is not properly secured. Do not forget that cell phones can cause EMI issues also.

If you do need to send it back send the control box, headphones and coil. Normally you do not send headphones with a detector but they are integral to the Infinium so best to send along. No need to send rod. Garrett has excellent service if you end up needing it.

Steve Herschbach

Find me on Facebook

Buea...what a deal :thcongratsflwrs:!!! wish i would have got a deal like that when i bought my GMT haha..you know i love my machine and im sure you will as soon as you get out in the gold fields..lets get out to the dale district and swing the gmt's!!

Beau ... Gave you bad advise ... was overcome by the title of this post referring to the White's GMT ... I know that the Infinium is a Garrett product. If the problem persists I would indeed send it back to the right company ... In this case Garrett.

Mike F

All the time where? The Infinium like most PI units is susceptible to electromagnetic interference (EMI). No surprise if around the house or even in town. If you are well and truly away from EMI sources and the units makes random noise just sitting there, then it may need to go back to Garrett. Be sure batteries are in correctly if using AA as a reversed cell can cause issues. If you have a spare coil try it out also. Coils cause more problems than control boxes. If the issue is only when moving the detector around could be loose coil cable if it is not properly secured. Do not forget that cell phones can cause EMI issues also.

If you do need to send it back send the control box, headphones and coil. Normally you do not send headphones with a detector but they are integral to the Infinium so best to send along. No need to send rod. Garrett has excellent service if you end up needing it.

Steve Herschbach

Find me on Facebook

I was told about the issues of being in town. Took it out to the desert and still no bueno. I have 3 coils for the unit. Was the same with all. To be a little more specific with the problem... It seemed like when ever the control box moved, it sounded off. I took the box off the shaft and tried to hold it very still, seemed to work better. I'm no electrical engineer, but if I had to guess, something is loose in the control box. I agree with you, I'll send the whole lot back to Garrett. I do want to get it fixed and get used to working with a PI unit, while I keep pouring my coins into my minelab piggy bank.