Nugget Shooter Forums
Dizzo

General Ignorant Question?

If you are looking at a map in satellite view on Google Earth or just the regular map view and you zoom in to a location that you want to scout, what do you think of locations in the desert that have what look to be prospecting holes all over the place. I dont know if that is what they are, but I can think of no other explanation. I have uploaded an image of what I am talking about below. The reason I am asking is that I would not want go to a location that is sampled so hard that the landscape looks like an acme ridden school boy. Sorry for the ignorant question, but hey what better a location to ask than here with all the profassionals. :brows: Plus when you are on the ground at these locations, those pocs dont stand out so much, so it would be hard to get a grasp on the overall picture.

Dizz....

post-26455-0-88063900-1358976660_thumb.p

Those white Pock marks could be about anything.

What makes you so sure there Sample holes?

Crazy as it sounds, alot of times piles of blow sand and such, near creasote and other bushes show up like that.

Down here that would be ant hills.....some are 6' high...

Up there big worm holes..... :ROFL:

If you are looking at a map in satellite view on Google Earth or just the regular map view and you zoom in to a location that you want to scout, what do you think of locations in the desert that have what look to be prospecting holes all over the place. I dont know if that is what they are, but I can think of no other explanation. I have uploaded an image of what I am talking about below. The reason I am asking is that I would not want go to a location that is sampled so hard that the landscape looks like an acme ridden school boy. Sorry for the ignorant question, but hey what better a location to ask than here with all the profassionals. :brows: Plus when you are on the ground at these locations, those pocs dont stand out so much, so it would be hard to get a grasp on the overall picture.

Dizz....

attachicon.gifexample.png

Hi Dizzo If u live in northern nev, and thats where ur lookin. I would say praierie dog holes.

Edited by Scott W.

The reason I ask is that another place I go that has pock marks on a smaller scale is the area around Johnny site north of Puhrump...attached is a the image. There are not as many but none the less the same look.

The first picture is from a mountain in the Amaragosa Valley west of Beatty in southern Nevada.

It just looks so man made, and I didnt know whether anyone had actually experienced an area that had been what seemed to be systematically grid tested for something, or could compare from past experience.

post-26455-0-47497700-1358987419_thumb.p

Sh t you found my patch!

Is this a radar image or a true photo?

Too random to be drilling = no trace of a road . And they all seem to have a shadow @ 180°

My guess is vegetation and a radar image.

Nope no dumb questions man and ya get help even if some is tongue in cheek, but we have all ask many of these same questions at least once :4chsmu1:

Yeah right Chris, :rasberry:

It is a google maps image. I have seen a lot of shallow 4x4 holes around Johnny site and it got me paranoid. You guys are probably right about the sand and foliage.

Chris's PATCH is all of Nevada! And ... the world

Mitchel

I like to agree with NVChris. The dark spot is probably vegetation and it shadows, the lighter spots, area are probably tailing piles, or a lighter color soil that was once underneath the darker top soil that was exposed by erosion or by man. It could be a clay or ash layer exposed or a lighter material that have accumulated in a depression or leeward side of a bush, etc. Here in Mesa, AZ Just to the East of Usery Pass Road. There is a band of Volcanic tuff exposed in the granite of Usery Mountain. That Volcanic tuff layers can be found 40 miles away from the three Superstition Mountain Volcanoes. Ii your area it may not be volcanic tuff/ash but may be gypsum, perlite, etc.

More Au to you, Robert

Nuclear bomb holes and I don't think they will let you detect at the test site. :4chsmu1:

Have seen this look near Yuma in a few hunting spots and there is a lot of twisted steel laying all around where the dummy bombs hit when they were training for carpet bombing back in the day. Thats my guess of the photo.

The last pic looks like heavy overlying volcanics with either prospects or natural weathering in certain spots.

Looks to me like somebody was chasing a prospect ... Notice how linear the small digs and the larger ones are ... I'd guess someone found some indication and was chasing the hope of a vein ... The bigger digs look like they got encouraged enough to spend at least some diesel on the spot ... I'd prospect gullies below the line of digs or the slopes between digs and gullies if the slopes are gentle ... Bottom line somebody found something of interest or they would not have wasted energy, time and money to do so many prospects ... I know the area and it's worth prospecting especially if you can find old drywash tailings or handstacking in the gullies... One caveat however, not all prospectors were after gold ... Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what the Von Schmidt line is...I have heard it is a problem when claiming on the border between California and Nevada...but what do I know.

post-26455-0-30785700-1359040786_thumb.p

Edited by Dizzo

Last question I promise. What is the difference between the pink range and the red range on the lr2000...I know that it is means alternate source for surveying, but how do you find the alternate source...is it even claimable?

post-26455-0-94622300-1359045172_thumb.p

Edited by Dizzo

Chris,

So the line is on the geocommunicator for no reason? As in it does not affect claims.

I like lotsa lucks answer best....why not just drive through there in your 4x4 ....bob n weaving a lot....

Garimpo, I gotta git me one a dim dair 4x4's... :arrowheadsmiley:

No Idea on the pink.

Must be a reason for the color, look for the legend, the gouberment don't take a dump without a plan and reason.

An old saying. "if you want to find gold, look where its been found before"

If you're chasing gold , look around gold mines that produced "free milling ore".

Get the book M. Johnsons "Placer Deposits of Nevada"

Use this site, minedat.org and/or buy Hystware's mines and minerals.

Wandering around google earth is fun, but the vast majority of them holes are failed prospects.

Improve your odds and concentrate on known gold producing areas.

I use Mineral Resource Data System: Conterminous US , because I am behind a firewall 80 percent of the time I can look, but I will give a look to minedat.org and as for the Hystware software, I will have to research it. I have looked at M. Johnsons book before, here is the link...http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1356/report.pdf, unless there is a newer version. I try not to just Google Earth too much :grr01: and and done quite a bit of research regarding the different types of deposits in the Great Basin in general, but specifically Nevada. Maybe I am on the wrong track here, and maybe I like to chase rabbits, but who knows. If you are familiar with the topographic short hand the mines and minerals dpt of Nevada uses maybe you can help? Often I search for Andesite, Rhyolite, anything felsic and/or phaneritic as well as quartzite, with faults around them that are thrusting or the like. On the map it is stated normally as Tba, QTa, Ta3, Ta2, Ta1, Tr1-2-3, Tfi, Tjfi, and the quartzite Ocq, OCc, Ocqm, Zqs, ECq, etc. Unfortunately, I do not have the option to be around the greenstone stuff up in northern Nevada associated with Dots, DCs, etc.

thanks Chris, I will look at the stuff you suggested

Did you call us profASSionals? :)

• Like 1

The Geo maps are a great way to locate the potential contact zones. But I get lost in all the shorthand and have to keep looking at the legend.

Another great writer is Jim Straight, He's a Nevadan and has published some of the most read and respected guides to prospecting.

Reading his works can offer insight into gold deposits unique to the Great Basin area.

He goes by Dutch John and a few other handles on the various forums. Search out his posts!