Nugget Shooter Forums

trommel washplant vs highbanker combo

IzNoGood

One is feed by a shovel or by a machine the other sucks up the material, or can be hand feed.

A trom will wash the material more, thats good if its clays or cemented.

All depends on your location and type of material.

For a beginner the High Banker Combo is a good choice. Its cheeper and less moving parts to break.

Thats main reason why i thinking abouth trom. My dirt have lot of clay, and i notice when sampling that lot of flowr gold its in clay glued to big rocks, much bigger than 2' nozzle can suck. And second, my creek have deep sides, and not much space to locate site for trom. And if i gues good, trom needs 2 engines? One to move wash barel and one on water pump?

you right amigo, and now i do precalculation abouth costs of build. there its no way to cost me under 800 -1000 euro. and its now even close mobile as highbanker, just need to findout how to deal with clay, and how to take materyal stucked on big rocks by clay

IzNoCood,

Make sure you have a blaster hose coming off your high pressure output (3/4" to 1" hose is best) with a fire nozzle with a shutoff valve on your setup, you can use it to help dissolve the clay on the big rocks and breakup the clay deposits, it also works well for blasting out gold in cracks, crevices, hardpack, etc., just make sure you have your suction nozzle right there to suck up that material as it gets released from the clay, cracks, hardpack, etc.

IzNoCood,

Make sure you have a blaster hose coming off your high pressure output (3/4" to 1" hose is best) with a fire nozzle with a shutoff valve on your setup, you can use it to help dissolve the clay on the big rocks and breakup the clay deposits, it also works well for blasting out gold in cracks, crevices, hardpack, etc., just make sure you have your suction nozzle right there to suck up that material as it gets released from the clay, cracks, hardpack, etc.

Use the valve on that hose to regulate the flow so you don't blast your Gold into the next country.

you mean some like this one?

attachicon.gif25hydro.png

No that is a Hydroforce nozzle, it is used out of the water, it pumps water out onto dry material so you can dredge/suck up dry material, here's a video of Chuck Lassiter the gentleman that makes the Hydroforce nozzle showing how it works.

http://youtu.be/Mvd2l1_iTbw

What I'm talking about is a hose that comes off of a "T" or much better a "Y" on the high pressure output of your pump, basically it's a small firehose with a control valve at the nozzle.

Here's a picture of my dredge, if you look close you can see 3 hoses coming from the pump, the dark gray hose is the pickup/foot valve inlet hose, the lighter gray hose is the high pressure hose going to the jet tube, the white hose is my 1" blaster hose, you can also see the "Y" on the output of the pump that has the high pressure hose and the blaster hose connected to it, the blaster hose is as long as the suction hose so I can have it and the suction hose under water with me, the blaster hose with it's nozzle to help break up hardpack gravel, clay and to blast out material in cracks and I suck up everything that the blaster hose loosens up with my suction hose.

The "Y" on my pump is made by Keene, but you can make one out of pipe fittings.

MYNEWTOY.jpg

A lot depends on the type of gold bearing clay present. I have seen some clay like material that will disintegrate into silt in contact with high pressure water & slight agitation.

But, generally a high-banker will not usually handle big chunks of cement like hard pan clay or large hard balls of sticky plastic like clay very well.

Simply because they hit the grizzly inside the high-banker feed slot like rocks, or dough ball clumps & slide out the grizzly exit as oversize before they have time to totally disintegrate.

Simply because there is not much physical agitation or pulverizing impacts involved in a high-banker set up, other than gravity fall & the force of water from the spray bars effect.

On the other hand, a trommel has every thing a high-banker has, plus the spinning tube the feed material passes through.

The spinning effect of the tube creates a battering-grinding-pulverizing effect & disintegrates clay far better than a normal high-banker.

But, trammels are more complex, have lots of moving parts & cost far more than the average high-banker.

There are all sorts & sizes of cement mixers around & some are relatively inexpensive.

If the clay you have present carries high gold values.

If it's a pick & shovel operation?

You might consider a small portable cement mixer of some sort to disintegrate the clay + wash the feed material gravel.

Then simply tip the mixer barrel & pour the washed material into a crash type box at the head end of a sluice box.

EDIT TO ADD:

This is not any sort of endorsement.

Just a couple links to hobby scale trommel-classifier & motorized model.

To give you ideas, what you could build, if you have the skills & equipment to do it.

http://www.casluicebox.com/TROMMEL-CLASSIFIER.html

http://www.casluicebox.com/TROMMELS.html

Edited by elder-miner

• 1 year later...

Kay,

You have posted twice on these forums and both times you have posted a link to a prospecting supplies website, both of which I have edited/removed out of your posts, the first time I explained to you that it isn't allowed to post links to other prospecting supplies vendors since the owner of this forum also sells prospecting supplies.

You have now been officially warned to not post another link, third strike and you will be banned from these forums!

Skip