Nugget Shooter Forums

Knife for Skinnin' /processing game

A good knife for skinnin' and processing deer, small game, fish, and fowl. :idunno:

I'm talkin' about out in the field, or at the kitchen table. :inocent:

I've been lookin' at some Bucks but still open for others.

Not really a "survival" knife, I won't be hackin' down any trees.

One of the Buck's.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=735055

Schrade Old Timer 152's are great skinners and all around boot knives, getting hard to find now but hold an edge well and more important when skinning, will take an edge quick. Easy to touch up when in the middle of an Elk and its starting to snow again at camp. I am rarely without one in my pack.

A Ulu for skinning, it goes from the field to the table,

For my daily pocket carry a 2" Folding Gerber.

For other needs a Gerber MK ll its scary razor sharp cuts with just a touch.

attachicon.gifIMG_0181.jpeg

Couldn't agree more. Gerber is the way to go.The vintage Gerber's with the armorhide handles are the best knives I have ever used and I have used them all. My family has been using these for 3 generations. They make different models to suit every need. Find one of the old fillet knives with a spoon handle. The single best knife ever made in my opinion. I own over 50.

I am fortunate to have acquired an 70's model 1Randall, made by Bo himself. It's the best knife I have ever had in a whole lifetime of having good knives. It's pretty much a fighting knife and was dearly sought after by SF In Nam and many soldiers in WII, but its a great all around camp knife.

On of my grandsons will get it one of these days, but they are only 2 & 4 years old right now

Edited by El Dorado

I am fortunate to have acquired an 70's model 1Randall, made by Bo himself. It's the best knife I have ever had in a whole lifetime of having good knives. It's pretty much a fighting knife and was dearly sought after by SF In Nam and many soldiers in WII, but its a great all around camp knife.

On of my grandsons will get it one of these days, but they are only 2 & 4 years old right now

Steve, I would love to see a picture of that knife!!

:useless:

Just gifted a vintage Shrade Old Timer, don't know the model but it had a 4" single blade and was in mint shape. You should have seen the persons face when they opened it.

A priceless moment.

Found quit a few pocket knives over the years detecting and a few fixed blades.

IMG_0005-1_zpsc52ee38d.jpg

Edited by nvchris

OK El D,

When I get out there and find enuf gold, i'll send you a knife and some gold and have you make me one with solid gold handle. I think that would be pretty cool especially if it's on the right knife... :arrowheadsmiley:

I have rescued 25-30 old used Buck knives from the one like Bills to the trusty 110 folder. I do what I can for restoring the blade, then change the handles to stone. All have been given away to special people in my life. Problem is, no one wants to actually use them and they just sit.........

Steve ... I'd be proud to use one and by doing so show off the extreme craftsmanship! :) I had a Case knife that my grandfather removed the handle and replaaced with a beautifully hand carved by him deer antler handle. It got stolen at a hunting lodge probably 15 or so years ago. I used that knife every time I went deer hunting ... it gutted and processed a few deer. After it was stolen I didn't shoot a deer for almost 10 years ... the deer gods expected me to be carrying that knife and when they didn't see it they punished me! :idunno: Finally they allowed me to have venison again ... but not every year like before when I owned the knife.

On another note ... I have found a few knives, fixed and folding blades, over my detecting career ... mostly back east in parks and on the beach ... unfortunately most could not be restored as the sea salt or the humidity and moist soils just destroyed them in a very short period of time.

Mike f

Terry,

I think yours is the only true skinning knife in this entire post....unreal! If a knife doesn't have a big curve in the blade it ain't no skinning knife. Ohhh you might use it for a skinning knife, but it ain't no skinning knife. :nono: Just my :m2c:

Rim

A little off topic, but knives in general seems to be popular. I have a bit of a passion for them and have put together a few. This is one of my favorites. Yes, all you have to do I push the button and it opens with a torquey snap. The safety button and the thumb stud hole filler are 14K, tha magic button is a 16-1 cab, tha scales (handles) are olive wood and the blade is beautiful Damascus. The rest of the metal is SS with a chemical conversion to make it black/grey and the back spine is filed into a vine pattern.

And no it's not a skinner, but the scary sharp blade is just as sharp as a straight razor and it could be easily used as a flencing tool

post-1252-0-06012000-1358960768_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-86432400-1358960820_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-67244200-1358960848_thumb.jp

Edited by El Dorado