Nugget Shooter Forums

Need a little Gold Bug 2 advise

beaudurkee

I run my threshold so that there is a constant buzz. It creates more chatter in mineralized ground, but I feel it lets me here the smallest hits better. Also, I can hear small changes in the general tone which seems to indicate a change in ground balance. Sometimes I am ground balancing every 10 feet. Not sure I would know/think to do it that often without the sound. When you read the Fisher owners manual and I've watched some video's on youtube, people seem to run the threshold so the machine is quiet and only sounds are on a target. Is it hurting or helping my results running the threshold sound like I do. Would like some feedback from some GB 2 users please.

Oh, I run the sens at max

Mode on audio boost

Mineralization in Normal

You are correct in running the threshold to where you just hear a hum or buzz noise. But I don't think running the sense maxed out is correct.

Also a very a good tip given to me by bright old chap here on the forum once told me if you run across a piece of lead with a gold bug 2, it will make a crackling sound as your coil comes off of it. Tips like that are priceless. :yesss:

beaudurkee, Buy the best earphones you can afford with indiviual volume ajustments. Use preamum batteries. Sens depeneds on the area. Make sure cord is taped and not crossed, follow the manual, do a search for Gold Bug users forums. Experement with settings. Epoxy a .25 gram flake to a white poker chip and use it to test settings in a new area. Best place to hunt? In the old gravel desert roads, I know people with pockets full of sub/gramers from roads.

Good Luck

Max

I run with the absolute faintest sound possible as then the signal does NOT HAVE TO OVERCOME the constant drone. Earphone mandatory Calrad 15-135b--both mono/stereo.dual volume control have rocked my detecting for over 33 years SAME PAIR,so durability is not a issue. I know a half dozen new GBPro owners who borrowed mine and run them now ALL of them.Never max sensitivity as too much chatter and after practice they'll talk to ya to help ID by sound/signal cackle/etc--fun toys for us boyz or in my case ol'fart :old: John

Beaudurkee: Running in Audio Boost and Max Sensitivity would shrivel my gourd (especially with too high of a threshold), but this is not to say it may not work for some -- at least under certain circumstances. For example, one of the members of this forum (Lucky Joe) sometimes uses that combination, has found a gazillion nuggets and has posted YouTube videos of some of his finds and techniques. There are many different combinations of settings that may work for one person, but not for another. It takes a lot of hours of hands-on field work and experimentation to achieve a high level of competence with a GB2. Lucky Joe, myself and a couple of other experienced GB2 users will be on hand the long weekend of Jan 25, 26, 27 during the upcoming PCSC outing. If you can make it, don't be shy -- just ask for some pointers. I will have a super small test nugget with me that weighs just .002g, as well as others in ascending sizes. Ain't nothing like some hands-on experience to ramp up your learning curve.

Bill.... embrace the chaos that ensues at full gain! You will not miss targets and will pick out even tinier bits than when running smooth. They just sound different is all: instead of a zip, you will hear a clipping/blanking in the threshold chatter.... very easy for the ear to identify as a metal target as opposed to ground minerals. Now don't get me wrong, what works for the GB2 does not work for any other detector that I've tried. Cranking the gain on other detectors (even the GBPro) will get you an earful with no results. I have some theories about why this is so, but it is easy enough to check on your own: Take a tiny flake that just barely registers when running a smooth threshold. Now try it with gain at full... you will still recognize the target. Next, do just the opposite: Start with a flake that you can just hear with the gain at full and then try it with the gain reduced to allow a smooth threshold.... the target disappears.

Most importantly Beau... just stick with it. You will be better with the detector next month than you were last, and better next year than last year. And like Martin said, if you can make the Randsburg outing, you will get all the instruction you can handle.

Bill.... embrace the chaos that ensues at full gain! You will not miss targets and will pick out even tinier bits than when running smooth. They just sound different is all: instead of a zip, you will hear a clipping/blanking in the threshold chatter.... very easy for the ear to identify as a metal target as opposed to ground minerals. Now don't get me wrong, what works for the GB2 does not work for any other detector that I've tried. Cranking the gain on other detectors (even the GBPro) will get you an earful with no results. I have some theories about why this is so, but it is easy enough to check on your own: Take a tiny flake that just barely registers when running a smooth threshold. Now try it with gain at full... you will still recognize the target. Next, do just the opposite: Start with a flake that you can just hear with the gain at full and then try it with the gain reduced to allow a smooth threshold.... the target disappears.

Most importantly Beau... just stick with it. You will be better with the detector next month than you were last, and better next year than last year. And like Martin said, if you can make the Randsburg outing, you will get all the instruction you can handle.

Joe I never doubt till I try and I will have to give that a go if I ever get my hands on another GB2. I did attempt using the detector with the gain way up, but it drove me purt near nuts. Never too old to learn a new trick....

I run with the absolute faintest sound possible as then the signal does NOT HAVE TO OVERCOME the constant drone. Earphone mandatory Calrad 15-135b--both mono/stereo.dual volume control have rocked my detecting for over 33 years SAME PAIR,so durability is not a issue. I know a half dozen new GBPro owners who borrowed mine and run them now ALL of them.Never max sensitivity as too much chatter and after practice they'll talk to ya to help ID by sound/signal cackle/etc--fun toys for us boyz or in my case ol'fart :old: John

Thanks for the tip on the earphones. I had been using some cheap set I got for $20 on ebay. I'm getting new ones tonight.

It would be great to come see you guys at the event. I have been out to Randsburg before. Have a general idea of the area from motorcycle riding out there as a kid. Couple questions: Where do you all meet at? I would assume PCSC is a club? Do I need to join/pay or sign up somewhere for this? Thanks