Nugget Shooter Forums

Viva Las Vegas!

In my neck of the woods Las Vegas is where the action is at. There is the main drag with all the lights, the pretty girls and the sheer excitement of the whole scene. There is Highlands University with its fake grass and the Hillcrest café full of wrinkled old men in cowboy hats speaking Spanish and laughing while they drink coffee. They have the only Wal-Mart, hospital, shoe store or grocery store in the north east part of the state

It does not get much more exciting than Las Vegas, New Mexico. They have a couple of coin operated laundries and a decent auto parts store where you can get a hydraulic hose made if you need to. This little burg is really a happening place! So I always enjoy my trips into town. You never know what incredible things you might see in Las Vegas.

I was in Wal-Mart getting some tuna helper and a bag of dog food thinking to myself, “crap! It does not get much more exciting than this!” when I passed three guys stopped in front of an aisle header stacked with pudding cups and snack cakes. They were dressed in the usual drab clothing and boots, with untrimmed beards and hair. With dark eyes and a swarthy complexion as is the rule here and speaking in a broken dialect of Spanglish they were engaged in an intense discussion. As I maneuvered my cart around them headed to the dog food aisle I noticed one of them carefully passing something to the other. It was a Glorieta pallasite!

As I realized what they were looking at I recognized one of these fellows. I had met him years ago in the Glorieta strewn field while hunting with Dean Miera (I miss you man, I hope you are resting in peace). He was a very shrewd meteorite hunter and a gem of a fellow. He immediately recognized me and grabbed my hand. He then introduced me to the fellows he was talking with. They too were local meteorite hunters that had interest in Glorieta. And after about one minute he shoved a nice meteorite in my hand…I wish I had my glasses with me... It was a couple hundred grams with a nice fusion crust. Not too rusty. It had lots of olivine popping out all over it like a freaking steel fruit cake.

So I saw a Glorieta pallasite today at the Las Vegas Wal-Mart. Not only was that the only pallasite ever seen in any Wal-Mart, but it was the only Wal-Mart between Santa Fe and the Colorado border! That makes this find one of astronomical odds! Probably much greater odds than finding a lunar!

I am now booking reservations for meteorite hunting trips to Wal-Marts nationwide. For only $300 per person, per day you can have the opportunity to find rare Glorieta pallasites in virgin areas never hunted before.

As the only person on earth to ever spot a Glorieta pallasite in a Wal-Mart I can guarantee that even a beginner can improve his odds of finding one by employing my methods. While I can’t guarantee that every person who hunts with me will find a Glorieta pallasite, I can guarantee that each person who reserves a spot will have an enjoyable experience that they will treasure for a lifetime!

We will hunt the entire building over a four hour period and then break for lunch. In the afternoon I will cover special techniques for hunting the ladies clothing department and food aisles as well as a workshop for those interested in hunting the parking areas. By the time we finish you will be fully certified to hunt Wal-Marts for Glorieta pallasites on your own and will be awarded a framed certificate signed by the local Wal-Mart store manager! And if you reserve a spot in the next 48 hours I will throw in a CD of me in my torn up bib overalls telling a story about some adventure that I have had and embellishing and cussing a lot.

That's the great thing about Bob....he weaves you in and out of reality, giving you only a brief taste of one...then the other, as he slowly blends the two together, often times referring to past posts for flavoring just to see if you are paying attention, and when it's all said and done you have to go back and read the beginning again just to see exactly how he slowly boils us frogs. Brilliant!! :worship:

Great story, and idea BB! :thumbsupanim I sure wish you had a photo to "share!" :4chsmu1:

Terry,

I have already scoured the Nuggetshooter archives for any photo of Glorieta and compiled these into a YouTube video. They are photoshopped to appear that they were all found at Wal-Mart. There are links that pop up after the video is done that direct you to a credit card form or PayPal in case the photos of all that green olivine make a fellow want to hemorrage some frogskins.

You have inspired me my friend!

You are sick I always suspected it.

Las Vegas N.M Oh Boy can't wait to get there :tisk-tisk:

Actually, as far as schithole little towns go, Las Vegas is pretty cool. It is a sportsman's paradise. There is a little gold in every pan anywhere you dig in any yard in town. Four nice seasons and all the wide open spaces you can stand. Life gets a whole lot worse.

It is beautiful They filmed "Red Dawn" here and Patrick Swayze lived here most of his adult life. They filmed "No Country for Old Men" here too. A bunch of scenes from Natural Born Killers were shot here and the entire movie was shot in Northern New Mexico. The same for "Lonesome Dove"! All thoise fantastic landscapes they shot in that movie depicting every place from the Mexican border to Montana....All that fantastic scenery was photographed here. So while it is a bit if a wide spot int he road it is beyond beautiful.

I guess I had to say something good about the place The prettiest country on earth is about all we can claim here. Nothing else is much of a going concern.

Terry,

I have already scoured the Nuggetshooter archives for any photo of Glorieta and compiled these into a YouTube video. They are photoshopped to appear that they were all found at Wal-Mart. There are links that pop up after the video is done that direct you to a credit card form or PayPal in case the photos of all that green olivine make a fellow want to hemorrage some frogskins.

You have inspired me my friend!

LOL! :laught16:

Hey Bob ... I pass through Las Vegas everytime I go to visit my girlfriend just outside of Denver ... stop for gas there a few times ... never knew such excitement could be had in that town ... next time through should be mid March ... maybe we can meet for a coffee at the Wal-Mart!

Mike F

In 1974 I was invited there to teach a short editing class at the University.

For the final exam I made the whole class stay up all day and all night editing.

They were asleep in the hallways by the morning, but they loved it.

It was a great class with great kids.

I had a blast.

I remember hearing a story from the local cops about being out-run by drug smugglers

who would land planes full of dope on the highway outside of town

and escape in cars that were 'way faster than their police cruisers.

The cops were funny when they talked about it,

but they really really wanted some faster cars...

Loved the lightning in the evenings over the hills, even with no rain, amazing.

Nice place.

All I remember about Las Vegas, NM, was I got a serious and undeserved ass whoopin' there ... About 1954, my family took a trip from McAlester, OK, to California to visit my grand parents who worked in a tungsten mine in Bishop ... Dad pulled over the car into some sort of turn off on the outskirts of town and told us all to go to sleep ... Shortly thereafter, a huge windstorm hit and the car was rocking and rolling somethin' fierce ... Dad thought it was me moving around rocking the car and waking him up ... He kept hollering at me to stop fidgeting, then finally he had had it ... He jumped up, whipped off his belt and leaned back over the front seat and whooped hell out of me ... Well, that woke Mom up, got my sister to crying and the car was still rocking around ... He didn't apologize, but we did drive off into the stormy night and I finally got some sleep ... I hate Las Vegas, NM! Cheers, Unc

In my neck of the woods Las Vegas is where the action is at. There is the main drag with all the lights, the pretty girls and the sheer excitement of the whole scene. There is Highlands University with its fake grass and the Hillcrest café full of wrinkled old men in cowboy hats speaking Spanish and laughing while they drink coffee. They have the only Wal-Mart, hospital, shoe store or grocery store in the north east part of the state

It does not get much more exciting than Las Vegas, New Mexico. They have a couple of coin operated laundries and a decent auto parts store where you can get a hydraulic hose made if you need to. This little burg is really a happening place! So I always enjoy my trips into town. You never know what incredible things you might see in Las Vegas.

I was in Wal-Mart getting some tuna helper and a bag of dog food thinking to myself, “crap! It does not get much more exciting than this!” when I passed three guys stopped in front of an aisle header stacked with pudding cups and snack cakes. They were dressed in the usual drab clothing and boots, with untrimmed beards and hair. With dark eyes and a swarthy complexion as is the rule here and speaking in a broken dialect of Spanglish they were engaged in an intense discussion. As I maneuvered my cart around them headed to the dog food aisle I noticed one of them carefully passing something to the other. It was a Glorieta pallasite!

As I realized what they were looking at I recognized one of these fellows. I had met him years ago in the Glorieta strewn field while hunting with Dean Miera (I miss you man, I hope you are resting in peace). He was a very shrewd meteorite hunter and a gem of a fellow. He immediately recognized me and grabbed my hand. He then introduced me to the fellows he was talking with. They too were local meteorite hunters that had interest in Glorieta. And after about one minute he shoved a nice meteorite in my hand…I wish I had my glasses with me... It was a couple hundred grams with a nice fusion crust. Not too rusty. It had lots of olivine popping out all over it like a freaking steel fruit cake.

So I saw a Glorieta pallasite today at the Las Vegas Wal-Mart. Not only was that the only pallasite ever seen in any Wal-Mart, but it was the only Wal-Mart between Santa Fe and the Colorado border! That makes this find one of astronomical odds! Probably much greater odds than finding a lunar!

I am now booking reservations for meteorite hunting trips to Wal-Marts nationwide. For only $300 per person, per day you can have the opportunity to find rare Glorieta pallasites in virgin areas never hunted before.

As the only person on earth to ever spot a Glorieta pallasite in a Wal-Mart I can guarantee that even a beginner can improve his odds of finding one by employing my methods. While I can’t guarantee that every person who hunts with me will find a Glorieta pallasite, I can guarantee that each person who reserves a spot will have an enjoyable experience that they will treasure for a lifetime!

We will hunt the entire building over a four hour period and then break for lunch. In the afternoon I will cover special techniques for hunting the ladies clothing department and food aisles as well as a workshop for those interested in hunting the parking areas. By the time we finish you will be fully certified to hunt Wal-Marts for Glorieta pallasites on your own and will be awarded a framed certificate signed by the local Wal-Mart store manager! And if you reserve a spot in the next 48 hours I will throw in a CD of me in my torn up bib overalls telling a story about some adventure that I have had and embellishing and cussing a lot.

Priceless Bob... thanks for the story.

Ahhh.. La Vega... You can walk over to Lupe's Lounge for a cold one while your clothes are washing next door and your lady is washing your pick up...also next door. I love that place!

All I remember about Las Vegas, NM, was I got a serious and undeserved ass whoopin' there ... About 1954, my family took a trip from McAlester, OK, to California to visit my grand parents who worked in a tungsten mine in Bishop ... Dad pulled over the car into some sort of turn off on the outskirts of town and told us all to go to sleep ... Shortly thereafter, a huge windstorm hit and the car was rocking and rolling somethin' fierce ... Dad thought it was me moving around rocking the car and waking him up ... He kept hollering at me to stop fidgeting, then finally he had had it ... He jumped up, whipped off his belt and leaned back over the front seat and whooped hell out of me ... Well, that woke Mom up, got my sister to crying and the car was still rocking around ... He didn't apologize, but we did drive off into the stormy night and I finally got some sleep ... I hate Las Vegas, NM! Cheers, Unc

I feel for ya Unc. my dad did the same thing while we were traveling through some desert when I was 4 or 5 yrs old. After smackin me around he pulled over, bombed me outta the car and took off....after a mile or two my mum threw a fit and he turned back and picked me up. I don't remember the incident but it pisses me off.

Ahhh.. La Vega... You can walk over to Lupe's Lounge for a cold one while your clothes are washing next door and your lady is washing your pick up...also next door. I love that place!

Ahhh...La Vega....

Now there is a good way to put it.

Until you mentioned it I never realized that Lupe's was situated where you can drink and keep an eye on your woman as she goes back and forth from the car wash to the laundry. You have some really advanced situational awareness my friend! That is just genius!

Of all the watering holes in Las Vegas I am partial to Dick's Liquors. Ahhh...La Vega!

We love Las Vegas. Se stop there every trip from home to the Denver area to visit our kids, and back. Several really good restaurants there. Great hunting around there, too. great little town.