Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whynotme

Making a living of prospecting

The question I have is can you turn this from hobby to making a living from dessert prospecting?

It's been done. I've seen guys doing it but my idea of making a living is not sleeping under a tarp with a old stinky dog eating jack rabbit the dog caught. You will make more money working at Mc D's. Now you can give it a shot up north in Alaska but the dog is there already and you will be the waging tail. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. But hell if you have a warm dog go for it.

You can always mine the miners. More money was made through history that way. Just go to the Mesa gold show next month to see how it's done. Stop by at our GPAP booth and buy a ticket for a huge nugget and say hi to Glenn and I.

I know folks that do it but as stated it's a meager life.

They live out of a Van or Truck and like the old days bath about Jan and Jun.

There happy I guess , there still doing it.

My old dog don't smell too bad and she's a pretty good cook :4chsmu1:

Hey Don can she catch a rabbit

If you know what you are doing, can find/acquire/own the right placer diggings, get it permitted, have the cash to buy a backhoe or excavator, cat, dump truck & wash plant, etc.

You can do far better than just make a living, once up & running.

But, that is about as rare as someone a big lottery.

Tough row to hoe, unless you love it.

30tlzra.jpg

3 grams a day would be good wages. So it could be done with a good drywasher.

Used to be a small number of guys metal detecting for gold and making a good living back in the 70s.80s, early 90s. The goldfields were large and nuggets were on top of the ground just waiting to be picked up. Then the popularity grew and more and more people got into it. Still can find some areas that are good producers but it's hard work and there's no guarantee you'll do good. Most of the guys these days live in vans, trucks,etc. I know a couple myself and they are happy and surviving,

Best way to make a million dollars in mining, is to have 2 million dollars to throw at the hole :4chsmu1:

And where did I find you Steve the first time we met?

1-image0-17.jpg

Used to be a small number of guys metal detecting for gold and making a good living back in the 70s.80s, early 90s. The goldfields were large and nuggets were on top of the ground just waiting to be picked up. Then the popularity grew and more and more people got into it. Still can find some areas that are good producers but it's hard work and there's no guarantee you'll do good. Most of the guys these days live in vans, trucks,etc. I know a couple myself and they are happy and surviving,

With all the rules,regs,plans,NOI,POO,bonds,closures,forest/desert classification,seasons,permits I'd say your about 22 years too late for the show. Dream of the golden life whilst ya cuddle up to the wife at night and live your dream weekend warrior style. In dayz of old I raised 4 kids and put'm through school but with ungodly oppresive restrictive eco insanity now ??? no better way to lose a couple hundred thousand in a heartbeat-John :grr01:

Max- I met you and Polly at the LDMA camp at Duisenberg(sic) near Randsburg,Ca. I found my first nugget (61 grains) on those claims owned by Alan at the General Store. Must have been back in the late fall of 1992 or early winter of 1993.. That photo was taken at Stanton.

Had a ball during my time out there and am hoping to get out there again --- soon. Things just keep happening though....

Steve

And where did I find you Steve the first time we met?

Steve, You are right and I was about 15 minutes from calling the sheriff and telling him that the man in the back of that van was dead!

You would not recognize Dusenburg now. I remember you and I where working Charlie Salwasser's claims and someone stole the blower off your brand new Keene 151. It would be just as hard to make a living prospecting then as it is now, gold prices are all relative.

I dredged gold for a comfortable living in the early late '70's and early '80's, and then took a job as operations manager for a mining company running 4 different placer mines at once ... I then hooked up with a couple partners, buying & selling commercial mines, then finally operating a mine employing 37 miners with a bit over a million$ in rolling stock ...We made huge $$ buying and selling mines,... We made the $$ because our mines were all very, very rich and commercially viable, not the "recreational" ground you see being hawked around certain parts of Arizona these days .... We made enough to keep Peru's economy afloat, ( if you know what I mean, and I think you do), but our crew, most of whom we took off of welfare, stole us blind, though we didn't know it until everything failed and the IRS took all our equipment ... But it was exciting, mining between N. CA and Alaska ... You couldn't do it today because of regulations and the bureaucracy ... We spent our share of time in court fighting the US Forest Service, and the California Fish & Game, but we always won!!! Every time, for the simple reason that the USFS tried to control us via their "Policies" as opposed to actual Mining Law ... Plus, at the time, California's chief mineral inspector actually had a mining background and was very familiar with the ground we were working, one of the richest gulches in all California! .... I wouldn't try it these days ... This government is dead set against anyone taking advantage of our country's natural resources ...As far as small time prospecting, you simply can't even begin to make a living at it ... I, as well as quite a few of the experienced guys on the forums, spend a lot of time and energy chase gold ... but, except for one person I know, who left AZ and is now chasing CA dinks and steelhead, nobody comes close to making a profit finding gold ... :m2c: ... Cheers, Unc

I'm impressed Ron!

Now that I think about it there is a way to make a living prospecting. People are doing it now. Reality TV. I can see it now. A family living in the desert trying to get by prospecting. If a producer shows up at the gold show ill ask. How about it Glenn. I'll lend you my big tent. Plus you have the dog. I would make sure I watched that show. We could get the yellow dog and parrot that smokes to make a appearance. Plus lab rat L who is doing it now can move next door. He would be your dinner guest each night. Everyone gets at least $5000 a show. Kitty can move in too and make her special dish. I could write the script. I have a few things in mind everyone would enjoy watching.

Frank.... what do you mean write a script for a reality show? Ya mean they have scripts........ Are you popping my bubble?

Hey Don can she catch a rabbit

She thinks so but hasn't proved it yet.....

She does not need to catch a rabbit she caught you Don

Frank you sure know how to get down to basic's.....

Guess with a marriage license in English and one in Portuguese means my rabbit is cooked!!!

2 wives G-- :arrowheadsmiley: OMG or didn't she trust ya and made ya marry her twice??? :4chsmu1: John

Don ... If not the rabbit ... I would at least say your goose is cooked!

Mike F

Don was the rabbit Now that I think about it we all ran as rabbits but in the wrong direction. You see they use bait

My rabbit is cooked.....my goose is cooked and I fall for their "bait" every time.....sure is fun at first.... :brows:

I remember you and I where working Charlie Salwasser's claims and someone stole the blower off your brand new Keene 151.

Max -- Don't think I ever forgot about that. You and Polly were the only ones I saw the whole week. That Friday morning, I Ieft everything there to make a quick run to the post office and the general store. Only gone for maybe 40 minutes and someone stole it in that time frame. Later on I found out the hunting season was going to open that weekend so no doubt it was a hunter that took it. Lesson learned..

Steve