Nugget Shooter Forums

Strange find of some Maricopa county crystals

In our back road/goat trail traveling my wife noticed a pile of strange looking rocks/ore just laying in a small pile with no apparent diggings anywhere. It had a shinny orange color and consisted on a mixture of small crystals and 2 inch plain rocks all covered with a red/orange dirt waste.

Checking it out she imediatly found a cluster of quartz crystals. So we gathered it up and it filled 4 3 1/2 gallon buckets. It has taken her quite a while to seperate and collect the different kinds from the waste material.

I have ID Topaz, Tourmaline, Quartz and the others I am not sure about, anyway its strange that it was apparently dumped in the desert, the pictures are in a paper plate for reference and there a quite a few.

Any ideals?

Max

.http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/Gilaoro/CRYSTALS/

Max,

Sounds like a rockhound probably camped and went through their collectables tossing out stuff they didnt want. I have done the same and probably tripped some people out when they found it. Most people that dump material are on a trip following a rockhound book from location to location. Several on the paper plate look exactly like Castle Dome Fluorites to me, as for the others its hard to tell..

Edited by adam

Adam, I will try to get a better shot of them when I get batterys for the camera. Some of them are exact matches of topaz from Delta, UT and others match tourmalines from Las Delichous mine in Baja . Some of them are a tabular crystal I am not famailar with.

Max

Steve, I am rigging up a camera to do it, then I will do them indivualy. All the material is hard,The yellow , clear and pink very hard. then there are little

chunks of broken quartz not crystal and one has a tiny tip of gold on it.

Soon: Max