Nugget Shooter Forums

I am looking for help here...

Just got this email, anyone have any suggestions so I can get this fellow beeping? Bill Babbs you still reading the forum? LED lights?

I have a mine-lab 2200. I haven't used it for many years as the kids were in college and we always planned on heading out when they completed school. In 2008, my daughter finished and 5 days prior to picking her up and bringing her back out here she died. I just kept on working not caring about to much of anything, but now my hearing is going and it has made me angry. My wife told me to get out in the desert and play before I drive her nuts. Heres mydelimna I need a new battery but also I need a scanner that can fit into the earphone slot so I can visualize the sounds as I can't here the different pitches anymore. Is there such an adaptation that I can get? Also is there a way to get better batteries for this machine as mine never lasted more than 4 hours. I live in Surprise and can get to your shop easily but want to know the best time. I work every other week with a week off between.

Thanks

Robert Brainard

Bill,

Missiourimeteorites might be of help on this one, How about it Steve?

If he don't pickup on this you can PM him. There are several members who are quite sharp on electronics.

Max

Bill, there are several LED bar graph circuits around using very few components easily purchased from places like Digikey. Would not be a big deal to make one but would think watching it instead of where you are stepping or swinging around would be problematic at best and dangerous at worst. The LM3916 is a good fit and very sensitive.

http://www.ti.com/product/lm3916

Could try incorporating some sort of haptic feedback as well if you want to reduce reliance on eyeballs. Vibrating cell phone motors are pretty cheap, few bucks, not sure if they would provide enough feedback though unless directly attached to the hand or handle. Or rip one outta an old pinpointer.

A guy with little to no experience could get it going with an Arduino (it will both drive the motor/led and do the analog to analog conversion), and easy to add bluetooth as well that way if you want it wireless.

Edited by JasonG

There use to be a couple of gizmos on the market-one used vibration and the lit up-the vibrating gizmo is called a vibraphone-google it-kellyco carries it and the led one I'm still looking for-Hope this helps-Mike C... :200:

Edited by Mike C...

Could try incorporating some sort of haptic feedback as well if you want to reduce reliance on eyeballs. Vibrating cell phone motors are pretty cheap, few bucks, not sure if they would provide enough feedback though unless directly attached to the hand or handle. Or rip one outta an old pinpointer.

A guy with little to no experience could get it going with an Arduino (it will both drive the motor/led and do the analog to analog conversion), and easy to add bluetooth as well that way if you want it wireless.

Jason,

That's a great idea, I like it, :4chsmu1: , the vibrating cell phone motor could be placed in the headphones and the user would be sure to feel the vibration, I think that would be the next best thing without being able to hear the signal, that along with LED lights would work well, the lights for signal strength and the vibration to get your attention,

Mike C,

The Vibra Phone 280 sounds just like a what is needed, except from what I just read about it is an issue in this case...

",,,,Vibra-Phone 280 works with all common detector models except for Minelab and Fisher detectors."

BILL, I have seen a light mounted on top of a 1/4 " headphone jack that does exactly what this guy needs.
I have to do some searching for it and I'll try to find a link they can be bought online.
Fix em up with a mini battery pack and then plug this gadget into the hpone jack an set to go just watch for the light.

If not Total deph there is a Number Of things he things he can do!

He can use a Freq Shifter to Move the Out Put from what it is to something he can hear. I can come up with a Number of them. VCO out Put can take it high or Low.

If it's just a Problem like I have of Hearing the Tinnitus Buzz like a Fan running all the time I just Use this circuit and it shut off most of the crap. See Attachment.

The Vibrator is not Sensitive enough to do the Trick.

LED Light bar on the Audio Out or Meter Could do the Trick.

You can change two Parts and this will do wonderful things for folks that hear the Buzz from Tinnitus.

Ok Tinnitus is different for every one but mine was cause by hearing the same 1000Hz tone and 2600Hz , 2800Hz Telephone signaling Over and Over some times at over 100Db.

I have a built in Notch filter now.

post-21985-0-61894300-1358046340_thumb.j

Edited by homefire

Bill heres a link to what is current , http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130833352382

this is not the exact item I was reffering to I amm still searching for the plain headphone jack light I have seen in the past.
I sent the seller a question as to wether it will work on any detector headphone jack VLF or PI.
Waiting for a reply.

Bill,

Missiourimeteorites might be of help on this one, How about it Steve?

If he don't pickup on this you can PM him. There are several members who are quite sharp on electronics.

Max

My hearing is really terrible also but never stopped me from finding gold and I mean even the teeny weenie sub grainers. I was using a Gold Bug 2 though but I always believed detecting is a "state of mind" that requires a lot of deep concentration and it's not just something you do. I think that's the main reason I was successful in spite of my loss of hearing. Having good equipment is a must but so is a proper mindset.

As far as Robert goes, if his hearing is really,really bad, a good amplifier might do the trick. I know there's some out there made for the SD models although I can't supply the specifics.

Steve

Edited by Goldfinger

Bill.... I'm pretty deaf and have learned to be sensitive to vibration. The only way for example

can I 'hear' my cell phone ring is by feeling it vibrate against me. Also LED lights are another

way as they can be seen if in the range of eye detection... On my way to the fairplex show as

Jerry Hobbs is picking me up at 8 AM this Sunday Morning... God Bless All and Keep Positive

tailgate jim straight

Steve, I thought you had a light or a viborator in it. I also remember the extension you had on the loop. The knowledge and equiptment the young guys have today is awesume, I started with a homemade BFO and the step up to a White's 66T with transistors was top of the line, if you and I had of had the only Minelab 5000's in existance back then we would have retired with our own Fort Knox! I am sure Robert's problem will be solved.

Max

My hearing is really terrible also but never stopped me from finding gold and I mean even the teeny weenie sub grainers. I was using a Gold Bug 2 though but I always believed detecting is a "state of mind" that requires a lot of deep concentration and it's not just something you do. I think that's the main reason I was successful in spite of my loss of hearing. Having good equipment is a must but so is a proper mindset.

As far as Robert goes, if his hearing is really,really bad, a good amplifier might do the trick. I know there's some out there made for the SD models although I can't supply the specifics.

Steve

what a fascinating thread.

My two cents is for all you guys whose hearing is getting marginal,

you know, where you are starting to think that maybe it's time to get a hearing aid.

I am passing this along from recent experience

in the hopes that it will spark some of you into action.

If you are losing your hearing and are thinking about getting your hearing checked,

please go do something about it!

You may not realize - as I did not - if you let your hearing "just get worse"

that eventually if it gets to a certain point,

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, in many cases you will lose it.

You will go deaf.

If you catch it in time, hearing aids can go a long way toward preventing this.

I am not sure how from a medically informed perspective

and when I got mine I was in a hurry because I had to immediately take off on a huge cross-country driving trip

so I didn't have much time to delve into it.

Hearing loss is a big deal.

It has a huge impact on the overall quality of your life.

In my case, I was right on the edge of going deaf with no way back.

I know we are all different and this is not a 100% situation for everyone with acute hearing loss.

But please do not let pride, " being too busy" or anything else stop you from looking into it.

If your hearing gets to a certain point there may be no helping it.

One day last summer, out of the blue, I suddenly decided that enough was enough.

I was no longer willing to constantly be saying "what?" to my family and to everyone I knew

and I was no longer going to allow myself to be isolated by not being able to hear and participate.

On the recommendation of a friend, I went to Costco to shop for hearing aids.

I was shocked at how good the guy was at doing the testing and evaluation.

He didn't try to shove me into the most expensive pair,

he took the time to explain things to me.

I cannot tell you what a difference it has made to be able to hear better;

to be able to participate in life again and not feel as though I am on the sidelines.

And, I have not even used my hearing aids for detecting yet,

I am sure that will be another revelation.

This is all I could find on the specifics of what I am talking about from a fast search in Google,

but this topic is vitally important to look into if your hearing is going.

(the italics below are mine)

I just reread this and it looks a little like an ad for hearing aids or Costco,

but it's not.

It is from the heart and it is from experience.

All the best...

Q: Does my hearing loss progress?
While there is no way to know if an individual's hearing will continue to deteriorate,

the effects of auditory deprivation can worsen over time.

When sound is not stimulating the brain, the potential to "forget" how to hear is great,

and is closely related to the length of time the brain goes without stimulation.

Usually the longer the patient goes without treatment the more likely it is

the brain will forget how to hear and understand speech even after treatment is implemented.

These findings suggest that it is important to seek treatment for hearing loss in a timely manner to receive optimal results.

A small speaker's cone movement can be easily felt with fingertips lightly pressed against the cone. It might be pretty easy to open up some cheap headphones and mount one of the drivers where it's easy to keep your fingers on it. Or buy a small speaker, jack and wire at Radio Shack and work something up. I had a couple small speakers with mylar cones that were waterproof and very durable. Some types of headphones use something similar for their drivers.

-Ed

Bill,

The cheapest way to do this is buy one of these because it's about as cheap as it gets folks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Cost-VU-Panel-Meter-Lot-of-2-/160893438879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2575ff0b9f

Then get you headphone jack with wire and connect to the vu meter. Plug in the jack to your minelab 2000. The needle will be your ears. Just strap it on using a wire tie.Some of the VU meters come with back lights. But if you're not tech savy I wouldn't waste my dollars.

Just a wild guess but I would set the threshold where the needle just barely moves. Let us know how it works out. Then you have the ground balance problem....you're just going to have to play around with it. But it should work.

GL!

Edited by Rimshot

What a great thread.... There seems to be many of us with a hearing loss. But in

too many instances it can impact daily living to a small or great extent. So no matter

how serious you loss may be keep being positive and if communicating with some

one with a loss... if it is a frequency loss speak slowly and pronounce each sylable

and/or if it is more of an amplitude loss speak more loudly, but avoid shouting...

One thing to add to my last post. If the meter needle trys to move to the left, you have the wires wired backwards. There is a positive and negative side.

OK guys, he came by the shop this afternoon and I have the 2200 here now, need to get him a battery and the stuff to try to help him detect. This will be a challenge but fun I think... I am not charging for my help except parts and here is where I need help again or still...

What about ground balancing? LED or VU? will it show balance

I really want to get this done for him and it will also help others I think.

Does anyone know how to reach Billy Babbs? He has been dealing with this for a long time and would be a huge help as he has developed stuff to help him detect and he is totally deaf. He has not been on the forum for a while now....

You are not wasting time Rim, why would you think that? I need the advise as this is not something I have done for anyone before.... Will the meter work for ground balancing?