Nugget Shooter Forums

Detecting Lessons costing big bucks?

What has happened to customer service? I mean really I am not up on all this stuff out there, but have had 3 guys this week call asking what I charge to help them for a couple hours with their new GPX 5000. First fellow (Scott) said he got his for Christmas and when he called the folks his son purchased from for some field instruction he was told he had to wait for a group session to be setup or pay a "teacher" 300.00 or more for a half day lesson...

The other fellow purchased his from an AZ dealer and was told they do not give field instruction with detectors, but they could direct him to someone that could for a fee. He found me while calling around checking prices and just the cheerful thank you from him over the phone was payment enough.

The 3rd fellow is calling me back next week also and after calling around for help, same thing everyone wants $$$$$$$

So I will be taking both fellows that already made an appointment out this coming week for a free session to help them get the hang of their new beeper. Will also help out the third guy this week as well and at NO CHARGE!

Charge for field instruction? Really? Not me..... I was helped long ago by others in the mining world and I now try to pass this along with the forums and outings as well as taking some of my time to give some field instruction. What goes around comes around me thinks.

Used to be you purchased a detector and most dealers took the time to help if you requested or needed it as part of the customer service one would expect after a high end detector is purchased. I have helped many out there and will continue to do so when I have the time free of charge out here at the LSD if you can make it after I get off work during the week. Weekends I am usually out hunting and not available or out of town... No I can't just drop everything and go out on the spur of the moment most times, but I will try my best to make time for you!

Yup I can help with other detectors other than Minelab as well and will do this for any forum member though with some of the newer units from other manufactures I may be learning with you a bit.

Yes this is a rant and a sort of sales pitch I guess, but I had no idea this kind of money is being charged to help others learn their detectors so they have a glimmer of hope of finding a nugget or coin with their new beeper. Folks ya just need to shop around for the best dealer not necessarily what looks like the best deal so that you can get some help from the person you purchased from by phone, email, or a few hours in the field. Is it really that great a deal to get some extra trinkets and stuff then find out you will now need to pay someone 300.00 you did not buy from in the first place to teach you to use the detector you saved a few bucks on?

Geeeeze it is getting weird out there....

Rant over 6:57am....

Bill, thanks for a good post . It brings back alot of great momories. i will nerver forget the time that Maureen bought a 3500 for me from you. The thing that i remember most was the first hand onfo you gave Me the next day in the field. That instruction has helped Me many times over the years. When I bought My 5000 from a AZ. dealer They didn't give any instructions but my good friend Lunk steped up to the plate and gave me a helping hand on the settings to use.

Thanks again Bill for getting me started out in the use of PI detector. Your the greatest.

Harry

Bill, thanks for a good post . It brings back alot of great momories. i will nerver forget the time that Maureen bought a 3500 for me from you. The thing that i remember most was the first hand onfo you gave Me the next day in the field. That instruction has helped Me many times over the years. When I bought My 5000 from a AZ. dealer They didn't give any instructions but my good friend Lunk steped up to the plate and gave me a helping hand on the settings to use.

Thanks again Bill for getting me started out in the use of PI detector. Your the greatest.

Harry

You are very welcome my friend, where ya camped these days?

Yes buy from Kellyco or others interneters to save a buck and then go to brick and mortar store for help. I think it sucks-sorry Bill but ifn' folks don't wise up there will be NO MO' FOLKS TO HELP and then what---oh yes pay to play. I gave many 1,000s a free lessons to those who bought from me--some dozens and still :cry2: untrainable but they got lessons anyhow. I still give free lessons detecting,sluice,pan and dredge BUT only to folks who bought from friends/friends stores ONLY. :old: John

You are a good man Bill and you don't toot your own horn enough! Those who have visited you in Morristown know how much you help people and not just MD people either.

For you prospectors who come to the LSD/Wickenburg area take some time and visit Bill, he don't have the biggest shop in AZ but its the most interesting and helpful you will find.

Max

Bill I will join you in your rant.....people buying from a mail order house for example and then want their

local dealer to spend his time helping them is one of my biggest grips in this hobby....

When I was a dealer I would take new detector buyers out to White Hills or the King Tut area every Fri...Sat and

Sun.. for hours of free lessons.....I had a head phone jack that plugged into the battery and then I could hook

two head phones into it so I could hear the same thing the student was hearing.....worked great for training.....

Out of all the years iv'e been here on this forum ( Bill i salute you) i have never seen or heard of you charging for lessons (other forums well you know ), in the field or for detector lessons for that matter.Free lessons came with the purchase of a detector as i recall,at least on a scheduled appointment.Bill in my book your the top of all three dealers we all know here on these forums. Thanks

OK, I’ll bite. As most of you know, I started Arizona Gold Adventures back in 2008. I was roundly criticized and ridiculed on just about every forum I belonged to or joined as a New York carpet bagger, out to “mine the miners.” Obviously, I saw things differently.

I saw the growing interest in gold and gold prospecting and sensed the yearning in our society for the adventure and excitement treasure hunting in my beautiful home State could provide. I saw it as a way to continue to enjoy my hobby – and get paid to do it.

Now, if you LIVE in Arizona, and have the intestinal fortitude to do your own research, buy your own equipment, join a club or stake your own claim, you are NOT my customer. However, that leaves 99.9-percent of the rest of the country, and world, ripe for the pickings.

Teaching clients to use VLF and PI metal detectors can be very easy, and it can be very frustrating. I have personally taught about 180-individual classes at Rich Hill, Humbug Creek, and Gold Basin. Two-thirds of those classes have gone off as expected with no problems. The other third were instructional nightmares, as clients had panic attacks, became frustrated or angry that they weren’t getting it fast enough, or simply were not smart or physical enough to ever “get it.”

The two Minelab dealers I know personally in Arizona, both offer free instruction – If you buy from them. If you bought your machine somewhere else, then why shouldn’t you expect to pay for their time and expertise? If you buy a $6,000.00 metal detector from Kellyco, and have no idea what you are doing with it, you deserve to pay $300.00 a day to learn how it works. In my humble opinion, $300.00 is a bargain against that kind of stupidity and arrogance.

Bad customer service is completely removed, a different issue that I will not argue because I agree wholeheartedly. But, with the proliferation of online metal detector dealers and the new popularity of the hobby, there is a real demand for these lessons. In the true spirit of American capitalism, folks like me identified that need and have stepped up to service it - and profit from it.

Bill, I admire you for your beliefs and devotion to your fellow gold prospectors, and I understand your frustration with “bad customer service,” but I only give my time away to family and friends, and the occasional Veteran or underprivileged child. By the way, even my friends sign a liability waiver. If you are giving free lessons, make sure your liability insurance is paid up. We live in a strange world where you are friends one day, and adversaries in civil court the next. Nothing is free in America, not even good intentions.

Guest goldstudmuffin

OK, I’ll bite. As most of you know, I started Arizona Gold Adventures back in 2008. I was roundly criticized and ridiculed on just about every forum I belonged to or joined as a New York carpet bagger, out to “mine the miners.” Obviously, I saw things differently.

I saw the growing interest in gold and gold prospecting and sensed the yearning in our society for the adventure and excitement treasure hunting in my beautiful home State could provide. I saw it as a way to continue to enjoy my hobby – and get paid to do it.

Now, if you LIVE in Arizona, and have the intestinal fortitude to do your own research, buy your own equipment, join a club or stake your own claim, you are NOT my customer. However, that leaves 99.9-percent of the rest of the country, and world, ripe for the pickings.

Teaching clients to use VLF and PI metal detectors can be very easy, and it can be very frustrating. I have personally taught about 180-individual classes at Rich Hill, Humbug Creek, and Gold Basin. Two-thirds of those classes have gone off as expected with no problems. The other third were instructional nightmares, as clients had panic attacks, became frustrated or angry that they weren’t getting it fast enough, or simply were not smart or physical enough to ever “get it.”

The two Minelab dealers I know personally in Arizona, both offer free instruction – If you buy from them. If you bought your machine somewhere else, then why shouldn’t you expect to pay for their time and expertise? If you buy a $6,000.00 metal detector from Kellyco, and have no idea what you are doing with it, you deserve to pay $300.00 a day to learn how it works. In my humble opinion, $300.00 is a bargain against that kind of stupidity and arrogance.

Bad customer service is completely removed, a different issue that I will not argue because I agree wholeheartedly. But, with the proliferation of online metal detector dealers and the new popularity of the hobby, there is a real demand for these lessons. In the true spirit of American capitalism, folks like me identified that need and have stepped up to service it - and profit from it.

Bill, I admire you for your beliefs and devotion to your fellow gold prospectors, and I understand your frustration with “bad customer service,” but I only give my time away to family and friends, and the occasional Veteran or underprivileged child. By the way, even my friends sign a liability waiver. If you are giving free lessons, make sure your liability insurance is paid up. We live in a strange world where you are friends one day, and adversaries in civil court the next. Nothing is free in America, not even good intentions.

That's just the way Bill is... I've told this story before about Bill.

Scott and I bumped into Bill out in the field a few years back. Scotts detector had just took a dump that day, when Bill found out Scott's detector was broke he offered to take it home with him and ship it to minelab for repair. So Bill took it home and boxed it up and shipped it for repair and never asked for any money, never expected anything in return to this day... now isn't that a rare thing to find these day's when people want $300 for a detecting lesson. It's cheaper to go to the Doctor than have someone teach you how to use your detector!

I don't think I'm that good with a detector... just a bit of luck once in awhile!

• Like 2

I am a true believer good deeds have a way of coming back to you in life.
When you go out of your way for someone you're giving up something of sorts be it your own time or sacrificing another commitment you should have been doing at the time.
So what goes around comes back in time.
And time is ON your side Bill.

• Like 1

Aloha guys,

I am 100% with you Frank C.

I have taken a couple of guys out hunting in spots that I was told was "secret" and not to reveal to anyone. HA! What a joke! Needless to say I dont hunt with that person anymore and want nothing to do with him. If you cant share information in this hobby then you are (IMO) in it for your own greedy motivations and sooner or later this greed and selfishness will come back and bite you in the rear.

Just me ranting and venting about this subject;

Bill, keep on doing what you have always done in the past just like a bunch of other guys I have met on this forum and you will be rewared with some great times around campfires with other great guys,

Aloha and stay well everyone,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Bil I also believe in the law of Karma and you my friend know that you have my buisness along with everyone else I direct your way-because I know your not after just thier money- :idunno: you'll treat them right :thumbsupanim Mike C... :200: PS-Do those free lessons come with a nugget from a fresh dig or a soda and a bag of chips :nutty:

Edited by Mike C...

I was not trying for bites Terry and I give free help and instruction because I choose to and am willing to share my free time with those needing help as others have for me, I am not worried about insurance and will continue to do this for folks at no charge. I am not condemning you or anyone for charging folks for instruction if that is what they want. I just didn't realize how many are doing this and charging big bucks, so I am just offering the same for free as an option as I always have....

Something is indeed free in America and that is my help to my fellow prospectors and I do not see it as a business opportunity except often these same folks show up to make their next purchase here at my store.

My forum was started 15 years ago (at Bravenet) for the same reason, free help from me and our members who are some of the best in the business and man do we shine at this now!

To me it just is not about money but about the feeling I get helping others friend, family,or someone I just met, and it is as simple as that. Also it is about representing the products I offer with the value and service folks deserve.

With all due respect Terry, there are many things in life much more valuable than money to me and most of my best friends have come from folks I have met here at this forum and in the field and from not seeing them as ripe for the picking :4chsmu1:

That is just how I roll man.... :head:

I know from personal experience and from being told by other people

that Bill is generous with his time and his experience.

These traits are admirable but they are normal for him.

It is hard to believe that if people are charged money

they will pay more attention to what they are being taught.

I am always amazed what people think up to charge money for

and even more for the excuses they come up with to justify it.

I understand both sides. Membership on this forum is free but I have chosen the premium. Bill should not have to go out of pocket just to be a good guy. As he said on some other posts the bandwidth used here costs so this is a small help.

Mitchel

When I moved out to Az 3 years ago I turned to Bill. I've detected for years but nugget shooting is different. He came through for me. At the time I sure it was the last thing he felt like doing but he did it. He knows his stuff. Bill I will always be your friend and every time I look at that nugget that was found under your shoe I think of you

When I moved out to Az 3 years ago I turned to Bill. I've detected for years but nugget shooting is different. He came through for me. At the time I sure it was the last thing he felt like doing but he did it. He knows his stuff. Bill I will always be your friend and every time I look at that nugget that was found under your shoe I think of you

Thanks Frank, let me know anytime you want to go out for a hunt I had a great time that day my friend.

Hey Bill could you teach John B. how to run a minelab? :knight-horse::laught16::laught16::laught16:

We have all put a little effort into that one Russ :arrowheadsmiley: But he just has a thing for the VLF after finding that table full of gold... Sure would be nice to see those pics again.

Sometimes it gets frusterating, Just talked to a guy the other day that want to get a detector. He has narrowed it down to to models. I quized him as to what type of detecting he wanted to do etc. etc. He asks me what I was using, (they all do that.) told him what I used and what I have in stock and could order. He was asking if I gave lessons as he was willing to pay. At the end of the conservation he said he dosen't know what he will have, but will call me when he get it to see if I can schedual him in for lessons.

Another guy call me 3 different times about the LOBO ST. Spent about 1 1/2 hr total on the phone. Told him I had them in stock and my price. After about a month the guy calls up and said he found one (new) for 20.00 less than I had. but he had a question on running it and wanted to know If I could help. The rest of the story is history

Some people just want the cheapest they can get.