Nugget Shooter Forums

It's not a Quad or an ATV it is a Trooper ... what tires?

mn90403

I have my Trooper fixed but now I am thinking about LT tires for it or something better than what I have. The originals are P245/70R16 106S and I have some tread left on my current set but I am in 'fear' of a puncture and more nails. Recently I found myself on some quad trails in the basin. After some of these rains the ruts are quite deep and I have good clearance so I can go but if I had the right tires I would be ok even if it is not a quad. I also need to drive a few hundred miles on the freeways to get to the claims. My mileage now is 18-20. There are a couple of choices but what does someone recommend?

Mitchel

Odd man out here and I run Cooper AT 10 ply with full road hazard and love them. 200.00 cheaper and I really like the tread. I switched several years back and have been very happy with them and I am very hard on tires on my 4WD trucks.

I just looked at the BFGs and they are right at $1000 installed here. Very knobby and noisy the lady told me. What model of Cooper did you guys use?

Mitchel

I went to a dealer in Kingman today and asked them about Cooper and BFG tires. They said they can get any tire they want but they don't carry those brands any more because the 'moulds' are over 5 years old. His line was that if there is not new equipment under 5 years old they thought the quality was dropping. He wanted to sell me Toyos. Since I didn't have the Trooper with me I didn't really do anything other than listen. Is this just a salesman pitch? I like the store and they do good work on other things and they are in the middle of the desert. Is there any truth to that? Oh, the Toyo has a 50,000 guarantee.

Mitchel

My thoughts are he was giving you a smoke screen.....Cooper and BFG have been around for a long time and

their time proven with good products....

Instead of running down the competition he should have been saying good things about his product......

:m2c:

Mitchell ... you should know better than to liston to smoke and mirrors like that ... If he could get them as a dealer he would have them and sell them ... likely another dealer in town has the brands and all he could get was the Toyo's ... I had a set for about 5000 miles ... they are a cheap alternative to my favorite BFG's ... currently have the Cooper's on because at the time I needed them for my 18" wheels there was a bit of a local district shortage and I wanted them right then and there. The Cooper's are a good replacement if the BFG's aren't available.

Mike F

I just looked at the BFGs and they are right at $1000 installed here. Very knobby and noisy the lady told me. What model of Cooper did you guys use?

Mitchel

The other brands are quiet as well.... when they are puntured and you are stuck in the desert. You got to ask yourself "whats important here". Your life may balance on the answer if you are heading out into the desert.

Mike,

I listen and report. If it is smoke and mirrors then someone on the forum will tell me. I can spot some BS but I'm not an expert on many things.

Mitchel

Mitchel ... Yanking your chain a bit ... after all I have met you in person and have had conversation with you ... you do listen ... sorry if I insulted. I like the Cooper Discovery A/T3's and I think they would work well on your Escalade if that is what you are needing new sneakers for.

Mike F

Mike,

Still feet for the Trooper but what I was really wondering about was the salesman's statement that molds get old for making tires. Is this just total BS?

Mitchel

Chiming in here...

The BFG is a great tire, and many brands use them for the standard to which they must perform.

The AT/KO tire is an awesome tire with great dirt and street manners.

The MT/KM2 revolutionized the LT mud tires a few years ago.

We ran Coopers on our Rock Crawlerand race car for a season. They were good tires, but in what we did they either didn't stick well, or took a couple extra per race. Keep in mind that we abused the devil out of them. We have run almost exclusively BFG for the last 13 years of the team. And we've had failures, but they are the predominant tire in all off road motorsports around the Globe and have the most miles across tera firma because of that.

I like several others, too, but you don't need the rundown. That salesperson is in question now.

I have a couple friends in different tire manufacturers and will ask them about molds wearing out. I'm sure they do, but can honestly say that a company like BFG (one of only 4 or 5 companies in the world that actually manufactures tires - most contract their tires' production to companies like BFG, Cooper being one of them - ever notice how most All Terrain tires look so similar in tread patterns?) would not allow their quality to take a hit from old molds.

Not really sure what an old mold would do to a tire. If you know the manufacturing process for tires, the mold is a pretty simple part and really only gives the tire shape, tread, and sidewall features on the outside while holding in heat and pressure during curing (vulcanization). The real work and quality are steps earlier in production when they're assembling the various pieces.

Now, if the curing process has an issue, or the mold doesn't fit together right (typically 6-12 pieces) then you'll get defects, but those will manifest quickly in radial runout, balance issues or things like tread separation.

GlennM, Then you must know my buddy "Wild Bill" Wiederhold "The Voice of BFG " ? And Tim Sanchez the "DESERT BULL" ?.

Lord I miss the Baja days and the "Hermanos Locos". Wild Bill was the man the govenor of California picked to run the radio comms for the big wild fires a few years back, I sold him my little beach cabin at Campo Christina when I had to leave for health reasons.

If you are ever around the Baja races you would never doubt buying BFG tires.

My 2 cents.

Max

Thanks Glenn,

I think Glenn has confirmed what I 'suspected' about the salesman's pitch. For whatever reason they have chosen to sell Toyos and that is ok. I had Toyos on several of my passenger cars over the years and they are as good as any other tire that I needed. But when I am buying a performance tire for protection and my increased pleasure of my hobby I can't accept their 'house brand' explanation over BFG or Cooper. I think that Glenn gave me the details about the manufacturing process and experience he has that trumps this salesman's pitch.

If he would simply have said 'We don't carry BFG or Cooper because we think you can get better value for your money with Toyo,' then that is an ok salesman's line. Don't tell me someone has bad molds. It defies logic and I will try to get confirmation. In Forums like this and on the internet there are sources and experts that make it easy to confirm or deny.

Mitchel

Odd man out here and I run Cooper AT 10 ply with full road hazard and love them. 200.00 cheaper and I really like the tread. I switched several years back and have been very happy with them and I am very hard on tires on my 4WD trucks.

I went with Cooper this time around too. I replaced Goodyear ATPros and these were the best tires I ever ran but the cost now exceeds what I am willing to spend. Full Road hazard too!

The Coopers are a bit noisy on the road and for their size are not as wide as the Goodyears for the same size...hmmmmm. They seem to give a softer ride and I am told will not wear as well as the Goodyears did. But I like them so far. And Made in America!!! :thumbsupanim