Nugget Shooter Forums

LSD Outing...

Ok folks the next NS gig will be at the LSD and a few things to know

Roadrunners and GPAA have claims in the area

There is a small amount of open ground and more up the road a ways

Meteorites are also found here, Trilby Wash and Wickenburg both chondrites

Easy access and lot of room at Jackass flats, but getting a state land parking permit or AZ hunting license is a good idea

RV camping no problem and also a RV park within 8 miles that I run.

Dates will be in early March just not sure exact yet.....

Im in with Pops!

Tom H.

Permit is to park or camp on state land as that is the best area, prospecting is generally not permitted on the state trust areas. Most folks do not bother, but the state guys could get all tec on ya if you do not have it. May look into camping elsewhere on BLM if I can find a suitable spot. The state has always wanted folks to buy this permit to use the land and sometimes enforces it but other times not. This is a public forum so I like to keep things straight up if you know what I mean...

Bill the GPAA Golden Dream Claim has a large flat campsite. A great central location. Much like Gold Basin. It would be the perfect spot for camp and easy to get in and out of.

Bill, please explain this state land or hunting permit thing. After looking at the map, I do see quite a bit of state land in the area.

Patrick .....

Patrick and anyone else.....This is just a formality , but it is the law. Heres a link to the PDF document permit aplication. http://www.azland.gov/programs/natural/RecreationPermit.pdf . Print it out, fill it in, write a check, and mail it. The turn around time has always been within a week for me. Its only 15 bucks for an individual ,and are honored one year from date of purchase..... I always have mine when camping or driving through Arizona State Trust Land.

Edited by adam

Bill the GPAA Golden Dream Claim has a large flat campsite. A great central location. Much like Gold Basin. It would be the perfect spot for camp and easy to get in and out of.

Is that the one near the windmill Frank, my book is at work.

Golden Dreams is further North. I think you're thinking of... crap... that other one near the Yahoos.

Golden Dreams isn't, though, suitable for large camp trailers as there's a couple dips across a wash ya gotta go thru to get there. I wouldn't take anything longer than 24' or low-slung.

I have hauled the 4000# 18' box trailer GPAP has behind my 2WD dually without issues, though.

State Land permits are needed to even traverse State Trust Land. If you drive across it, they require it.

The hunting permit only allows for active scouting or in-season hunting. I've seen several folks fall into that gotcha. It's $15/individual or $20/family and good, as said, for an entire calendar year.

Lots cheaper than the minimum $500 fine they hand out.

Having helped organize several off road gatherings in the past, be very wary of spreading the word as an organized event/outing/whatever. Unless you want to be required to have a permit on State Land.

It is much safer that we all just state we will be out at LSD on such and such dates and are thinking of camping at X place, hope to see some luke-minded folks while there.

I want to get out and have fun, not run into a crap load of red tape. Especially since St Land recently decided and all but announced they will no longer lease to or provide permits for OHV companies, clubs, etc. for activities on State Lands.

And some folks wanted AZ's Federal lands to be managed by the state??

Hi ya Glenn,

I have never seen anyone hassled at Jackass Flats in 20 years and there are too many outfits using it yearly to count for gatherings, horses, bikes, quads, etc. But I guess there is always a first time. We have also done outings here in the past with no issues to date. Have met many of the enforcement officers out here and they are some good folks not bent on hassle, but do not like seeing folks off trails and roads with ATV vehicles one bit and are indeed enforcing that as well as having the required off road tag now. Just have to follow the rules and it is all good my friend....

And this is not an business organized or sponsored gathering of any kind as you said we are meeting for some gold hunting in the area as at all outings and the BLM also requires permits on organized group outings as well. That is the reason you do not see any dealer that attends these outings even sporting banners, goods, or signs of any kind advertising their company and there is no law on State or BLM restricting camping by a bunch of folks wanting to use the land legally. The most organized this rat tat group of prospectors ever get is when sitting around the campfire.

Now when a business wants to do an outing with promotion, sales, etc., that is a whole different ball game, but doable. The necessary permits can be purchased and one must pay around 5.00 per person, but not sure on that as I do not do any of these type outings even on private lane. I invite folks to camp out, meet each other, and maybe learn a little about prospecting and we are well within our legal rights as big time tax payers :4chsmu1:

I fully agree that getting the camp permit is the best bet for parking an RV on State Land and also suggested it and if anyone is worried BLM land is just a stones throw in all directions as are RR and GPAA claims you can camp on if you do not want to spend the extra $$. :thumbsupanim

Bill you go past the windmill on main rd down and up the next wash turn left at the GPAA sign. Down into and across the wash left then sharp right up over the hill and just go straight. If Glenn can get the sinks like a stone truck pulling the club trailer there I don't think there will be issues. I watched a low riding car with four 400 pound people do it. The club uses that site 2 times a year for outings. A lot attend and I've not heard of anyone having trouble. It's big, open and flat close to the NE claim marker

Edited by SGTFDA

Guess it will be March 1-3rd 2013 for those interested in attending, should be fun and maybe even some gold will be found :yesss:

I will post directions to both the State camp area and GPAA claim on BLM soon as I figure out how to save a map from google earth.

Bill that's a good date for the GPAA claim. The club has a outing there in the middle of the month in march. You going to be sneaking home at night to sleep

Guess it will be March 1-3rd 2013 for those interested in attending, should be fun and maybe even some gold will be found :yesss:

I will post directions to both the State camp area and GPAA claim on BLM soon as I figure out how to save a map from google earth.

Bill to save an image in Google Earth, click on the File tab , "Save", and then "Save Image",

Looks like a free weekend for me. No races. :thumbsupanim

The fuel bill will kill me driving the motor home out there, but the wife and I will be camping with the group. She will prolly go home durring the day. But she loves to passout at a good campfire after 2 beers. :idunno:

We would like to grill Carne & Pollo Asada with all the fixings for everyone on Saturday night.

The fuel bill will kill me driving the motor home out there, but the wife and I will be camping with the group. She will prolly go home durring the day. But she loves to passout at a good campfire after 2 beers. :idunno:

We would like to grill Carne & Pollo Asada with all the fixings for everyone on Saturday night.

Cool....Ill make up some Chile and cornbread. We'll have to get a head count closer to the outing to see how much to bring.

Dad and I will be there. Unfortunatly the outing at Quartzsite falls on the same weekend....it takes us 230 in gas to go to the Q and 50 to go to Wickenburg....kind of a no brainer...Do like the outings with Bunk and Co. though.

Tom H.

Sounds great Blake :yesss:

Cool....Ill make up some Chile and cornbread. We'll have to get a head count closer to the outing to see how much to bring.

Dad and I will be there. Unfortunatly the outing at Quartzsite falls on the same weekend....it takes us 230 in gas to go to the Q and 50 to go to Wickenburg....kind of a no brainer...Do like the outings with Bunk and Co. though.

Tom H.

Say it isn't so Tom.....About the conflicting date's?

Patrick .....