Nugget Shooter Forums

What do you think about when swinging?

mn90403

I just came back from some days of meteorite hunting and gold searching and with all of that time hunting I had time to think. Sometimes the mind wanders to non-hunting topics which is a lack of concentration but my wonder here is what do others think about? Do you think about your settings? Do you think about the terrain? Do you wonder why it has been so long since you have heard a target? Do you think about the last time you were in this patch? Do you get mad and say you are going to find one of the SOBs that are hiding from you? When you find a bullet or trash are you 'encouraged' or 'discouraged?' Today I found myself saying 'Gold is close to god and nugget is close to fuc_it!' Now, how do others concentrate on the task of hide and seek? What makes others better at their 'self talk?'

Mitchel

You might try chunking 10 penny's out ahead of you. That way surely you'll get lucky and find one and then think to yourself...

"Well, I didn't get skunked today." YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! :4chsmu1:

I just came back from some days of meteorite hunting and gold searching and with all of that time hunting I had time to think. Sometimes the mind wanders to non-hunting topics which is a lack of concentration but my wonder here is what do others think about? Do you think about your settings? Do you think about the terrain? Do you wonder why it has been so long since you have heard a target? Do you think about the last time you were in this patch? Do you get mad and say you are going to find one of the SOBs that are hiding from you? When you find a bullet or trash are you 'encouraged' or 'discouraged?' Today I found myself saying 'Gold is close to god and nugget is close to fuc_it!' Now, how do others concentrate on the task of hide and seek? What makes others better at their 'self talk?'

Mitchel

Welp..............when im out there im usually concentrating on the sounds that come from the detector. That and looking at nature.

Lots of neat stuff to see out in the hills.

I have been in areas where the detector is totally quite and throw something out to test it. :)

For me.........its just getting out and getting close to God and nature, spending time with pops, and maybe finding some gold.

Its all good.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Well it kinda goes like this, kibble and bits,kibble and bits,gotta have some kibble

and bits. Oh I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener.......wonder why that dumb coyote

buys all that acme stuff. #%@@ ^$@ ouch ouch stupid cactus. I wonder if this darn

thing is working? If i find one more bullet then I will have a set.

Sure glad my hand went numb,darn scorpion sting was starting to smart ! darn its

hot....weee wooo ,,,weee wooo......hello...hello....stupid cell phone! :ROFL:

Mitchel you got to much on your mind.....beeping is for relaxing and clearing your head of non

gold related stuff....I noticed in your thoughts you didn't mention sex so I checked your profile....

now I understand :old: .....you might try adjusting your headset :head: maybe a little to tight....but

since your out in nature that's a good start....

As for Rimshot don't pay to much attention to him....you know how those East Texas boys are... :nutty:

you never know from one minute to the next what their gong to come up with next...they don't

know either :idunno:

Tom H....is just a young'en but he's started thinking right and he drives a nice pick-up :yesss:

Sawmill and me have had some of the same schooling early in lifepost-300-0-98322100-1357898520_thumb.jpg

but we've managed to move on to bigger and better things.....we just don't remember what they

are :olddude: we can remember in great detail what happened 30 years ago but if it went down 30

minutes ago forget it....

Now on the serious side :excl: .....don't be worrying about the truck payment ( that ain't going to change)....put off the "honey do's" ( again)....forget the new rifle you saw yesterday :41:

that's why your looking for gold to pay for it.....

Keep your mind on the ground and what it's telling you through your detector.....the next

swing of the coil is going to be a three oz nugget.....never mind the few other things that

get in the way....that's just normal beeping.....it's those little "almost" signals that you need

to be listening for....when you get a signal don't just fall on your knees and start flogging the

ground like a mad man :Diggin_a_hole: before you dig check the target from different

directions.....using different settings on your machine.....if a new setting is better than the

one you were using try using that setting after you dig your target....especially if the

target is gold.....

Back fill your hole and try to make it look as if no one was ever there.....now go back to

the pick-up and wash off the nuggets and relax....that new rifle is yours!!!! :yesss:

When detecting I am in the "zone" I am concentrating on the detector and what is is telling me as well as the terrain. Looking and enjoying natures beauty as I wait for a signal. I find I have better days hunting when not concentrating on the task at hand as it takes me out of the "zone"

Some days I think like a nugget.

Some days I try to be smarter than the nugget.

And some days I try to think out of the box.

It depends on if I am getting over the "goal" targets or not on a given day.

But thats when I am definately "in the zone".

If I'm not in the zone then time spent walking and detecting is a gift in itself to enjoy the surroundings and also "let yer mind wander if it wants"

Don't worry BE HAPPY. :Just_Cuz_06:

oH yEAH, p.s. sometimes I think about that John Anderson song "Swingin" Charlotte, an Chocolate Pie :head::zzzzz:

Edited by frank c

El Dorado has it right ... Concentrate on the task at hand and when the mind does wander ... and it will ... take a break, have a snack, drink some water, take a nap in the sunshine and when the wander passes, go back to the task. listening to and for that tiny break in the threshold takes concentration ... thoughts outside of the task at hand let those threshold breaks pass without being heard and you will walk over but not detect gold. Relax man ... this is supposed to be a hobby and be fun ... Enjoy!

Mike F

Thanks guys! These are the responses that I was hoping to get. I realize that being out in nature is great all by itself. I could walk and walk or sometimes drive and drive with the music on and be very happy (with or without someone else with me.) I'm somewhat happy in my own skin. But, I bought a metal detector to find little targets. I do understand the connection between concentration, meditation and the hummmmmmm of the TMers. The threshold buzzz can clear the mind. As Walt Whitman said God is in everything so at the end of nearly every trip I am tired and exhilarated but rarely frustrated. I also need to keep score as Frank has eluded to. I should have a goal in this hobby. I need to break the day down into parts, hours and moments to be in the zone.

Garimpo ... you keep us laughing and I read all your stuff.

Mitchel

Good nugget shooting is a lot like good sex. When you are really into it, i.e., focussed, then nothing else comes to mind and it is pure enjoyment -- an end in itself. But when distracting, unrelated thoughts begin to intrude, then forcing yourself to continue morphs into a mere means to an end, i.e., it becomes work and the fun part goes away.

Good nugget shooting is a lot like good sex. When you are really into it, i.e., focussed, then nothing else comes to mind and it is pure enjoyment -- an end in itself. But when distracting, unrelated thoughts begin to intrude, then forcing yourself to continue morphs into a mere means to an end, i.e., it becomes work and the fun part goes away.

Amen.

Old Tom

Listening to the Toons, My Eyes are Scanning Every aspect ot the ground.

I alway check out what's going on around me every few seconds or so.

The Thought always pops in my head, Where are you today Mr snake.

Ah, Hell I don't know what I'm thinking! I'm Thinking.

I don't like to think too much...but I do anyway. I will usually start out with how I'm gonna need a wide angle lens to fit the monster nugget I'm pretty sure I'm gonna find today in the picture. That is very quickly replaced by naked ladies, :evil1: then I move on to the fact that it's really quiet out here and perfect conditions for me to make the headlines of "Man eaten by a Mountain Lyon" then I start getting the creepy feeling something is watching me, so I start to formulate a battle plan :5bat: for when that little back-biter tries to sucker punch me from behind I'll be ready, :Just_Cuz_15: but that gets too stressful so I go back to naked ladies :evil1: followed by the occasional thought of being bitten on the hand by a snake while reaching for something, that in turn gets stressful so I move on to micro brews, :2drink: cigars and a campfire.

Needless to say by the time I get back I'm just plumb worn out, and I think about doing something less stressful next time like drywashing!!

Bucket, Bucket, Bucket!

I thought about the Mountain Lion the other day ... do you ball up ... play dead ... when they find you half eaten will someone wonder what your last thoughts were? etc ... Ideas for another topic ...

Edited by mn90403

Mitch buddy... I don't ball up and play dead, I'm scrappin, kickin, punching, biting, hissing, spittin, fartin and runnin....all at the same time!! Although one whiff of ol Bucket and the Mtn Lyon might think I been dead for two weeks and was already rotten!! That could work. :brows::nutty:

Bucket, Bucket, Bucket!

I thought about the Mountain Lion the other day ... do you ball up ... play dead ... when they find you half eaten will someone wonder what your last thoughts were? etc ... Ideas for another topic ...

http://www.nuggetshooter.com/articles/CatTail.html Oh yes they be out there......

OH YES, I was detecting into the mountains this week and came to a sandy part of the wash and lo an behold a nice pyramid shape with claw marks from all directions pulling the sand to the middle.
It was typical cat scat fer sure. I then started to look around real good where I went stayin away from any overhangs.

Ok ... thinking about dangers is a distraction and I have started a new topic on that in the Prospectors Lounge Dangers: Mountain Lions, Snakes, Falling

Here I want to expound on good thinking while swinging. Since I posted this I thought about another hobby of mine ... playing pool. Now I play pool at a high level and have been for over 40 years. When you reach a certain point of playing with pros or playing 'hit and giggle' you start playing for money or you don't. Many good players will not get into a game with you unless you play for something ... time, $20 and time, etc ... they say they can't play their best game if there is no bet. It is called the money game. So, I have to say when I am swinging ... What is my money game? What is your money game thinking? It is when you are in that zone ... you can see 3D ... you know how deep they are and ... (if I don't know what it is like from someone that has been there or gets there in his thinking then I don't know what it is like.) Micro Nugget is on to it ...

I'm trying to remember what I think about and for the life of me now, I can't tell you (it was last week okay!). I don't worry about not finding a nugget (for financial purposes, am still working for a living), except for the personal challenge. I don't think bout work, I've left it at home. Still trying to learn the machine and it's sounds but still dig all targets. Guess I'm listening to the sounds and trying to fine tune.

Shep

• Like 1

I get to concentrating on the sounds of the machine so hard, that I lose track of time. Last time out I realized I was starting to get a little shaky :th: . Decided to look up, pull off the head phones and have a snack. Looked around and had know Idea where I was :idunno: . As I sat down, drank some water and ate a power bar, I started to realize how tired I felt. Pulled out my phone and was shocked to see 5 hours had gone by. Had to walk up a hill to get my berring and find my truck. I had traveled 3 miles. I was a little alarmed at first that.. Then I realized I could always follow my scrath marks back like bread crumbs. I love the fact that I went 5 hours without thinking about work. This has become the best stress relief I have ever found.

beaudurkee you sound like some of the stunts I pull....in 15 years here I've been lost.....really turned around

twice and going to the top of a hill here won't help when all your looking at is more jungle...so before leaving

the pick-up I always take a GPS fix.....saves a lot of walking and stress......

Another use for the GPS.....when I dig a nugget I stand there and get a GPS fix so later at the

house I pull up Google Earth and enter the fix so I can get an idea of how a string of nuggets

looks and maybe form a pattern for more beeping.....