Nugget Shooter Forums

You could store it in a 50lb sack of rice. Rice is a natural desiccant and will help keep the moisture off it. It's also a lot cheaper than silica gel.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While detecting today for gold I found a very large hole and ten feet from the hole is a very heavy

(100lbs?) iron meteorite......can't tell by the dirt in hole how long it's been since dug up....but I think

possibly a slight rust has already started.....I'm planning to try and get it in the pick-up tomorrow and

bring it to the house....so my question is how should I store it to stop/prevent more rust.....

this piece is 17.7 miles from the Uruacu fall....

I think I read something about this fall awhile back. Is this the one where meteorites found in one area were pretty stable and meteorites found in another area were turning into rust after some time? I thought it had something to do with the type of ground it was found in. But that is a gorgeous find and hope it's a stable one. Lots of character.

Steve

Steve I don't know if the ones here are the ones you read about but the Uruacu's will rust pretty

quick if you don't do anything to prevent it hope that's not the case with this one.....

Where this one has been sitting for hundreds of years in the hole in my post it has been under

water for around 10 years....in just the last year or so it has been high and dry....I suspect

the people that dug this out of the ground were doing the same as me....hunting for gold

and either didn't know what this was or the weight kept them from taking it away.....if they

hadn't dug it I would have because it was only about 50 yards up the slope from where I

found the gold and I was working my way up toward it when I saw the hole.....thinking

someone had dug a BIG nugget I was scanning the hole to see if they had left me one...

then I saw the iron sitting there about 10 feet away.....

As promised here are some better pics....in the first pic at the bottom of the iron you can

see some of the small pieces that flake off when I move itpost-300-0-63781500-1359632129_thumb.jpg

here in #6 shows how flat the bottom ispost-300-0-78205800-1359632141_thumb.jpg then in #7-#8 and

#9 shows the deep pitspost-300-0-93861100-1359632151_thumb.jpgpost-300-0-08226000-1359632168_thumb.jpg.....

two of them are fist size....#9 also shows how tall it is....approximately 15"....and #10 post-300-0-15155700-1359632193_thumb.jpgshows the back side I guess....and #11 shows the small

file cut I made....post-300-0-80425500-1359632204_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-18862100-1359632181_thumb.jpg

You could store it in a 50lb sack of rice. Rice is a natural desiccant and will help keep the moisture off it. It's also a lot cheaper than silica gel.

Thanks for the idea about the rice....I didn't know that....here rice is expensive but like you say cheaper than silica....the

weight of this thing is a real problem.....now I have to decide whether or not to make a cut on it.....

Fred after looking at this piece closer I don't think it's part of the Uruacu fall....I'll try to put pics of the two side

by side so you can see the difference

Don, I don't know if you can put irons side by side and be able to tell if they were from a particular fall or not,esp the ones that were buried. Might depend on the location.. I do think you would have to have a very small piece cut off and and etch it at the very minimum to check for the widmanstatten pattern. At least you'll know for sure what you have and perhaps even some idea of it's value. If you do try cutting a piece off, do it someplace where it won't show as much. Some collectors are finicky like Fred stated.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7933

Not sure if you can obtain the chemicals? The other option would be to have someone else etch it for you. Jim (desertsunburn) comes to mind. He could surely find someone to do it if he couldn't do it himself.

Steve

Edited by Goldfinger

Fred and Steve your both right....first my source of chemicals have dried up since I bought any four years ago...

As for it's "pedigree" I'm sure your right about that Fred....again out in left field on that also....on any mineral

here there's always the chance of getting it confiscated by the officials so small pieces would have to be

mailed up there....

Steve the friend that owns the rock place was supposed to be there now so we could cut a piece off but so

far he hasn't called.....I'm also going to ask him if I can store this rock at his place in a big plastic bucket

with rice.....once I off load this thing it would be impossible to deal with here at my house.....having to move

it is the biggest problem....for something so small it sure is heavy....

That is defiantly different from the Uruacu rocks brought back with me. The 300+ grammar has been sitting on my jewelers bench for year and the fusion crust is beginning to rust/flake off.

The big one I brought bac has not been sliced, been on my mind to do it, but it has become a fixture on my jewelers bench. The pendant I just made has not been etched, to sur if I want to change the mirror finish on it.

Steve is that the only piece you have of that pendant? If you have another one etch it and see if it would

make the pendant look better.....at least it would be different....or

just etch a small window say on the lower left corner then it would certainly be unique....

Fred and Steve your both right....first my source of chemicals have dried up since I bought any four years ago...

As for it's "pedigree" I'm sure your right about that Fred....again out in left field on that also....on any mineral

here there's always the chance of getting it confiscated by the officials so small pieces would have to be

mailed up there....

Steve the friend that owns the rock place was supposed to be there now so we could cut a piece off but so

far he hasn't called.....I'm also going to ask him if I can store this rock at his place in a big plastic bucket

with rice.....once I off load this thing it would be impossible to deal with here at my house.....having to move

it is the biggest problem....for something so small it sure is heavy....

Keep us up to date with this. Pretty interesting find. I wonder if you could even get it out of the country without some hassle if someone were to buy it..

Steve

Goldfinger I think your right about the hassle.....I've been told that in order to ship out of the country

any mineral I have to be registered....meaning I have to declare each shipment and pay the taxes

on it....

The other problem would be building a crate that would support this thing....it would double the already

weight problem....

Of course if this iron does weigh 100 lbs that would be 45,360 grams and if somebody wants to buy

the entire piece and come and get it we can drink a couple of beers and make a deal on the spot.... :D

Don.

Didn't mean to sound so negative... First
you have to know exactly what you have then go from there. Maybe there's
meteorite dealer in south america someplace that you might be able to
sell it to. If there is, he should already be familiar with the
paperwork,taxes,etc. Might be able to pick it up too.

Steve

Edited by Goldfinger

Goldfinger I know your right in all the above....my first step is to get a piece cut so I can start the

certifying process....and that means shipping the piece to the USA....

The first time I went through all of this I took the pieces to the University of Oklahoma's Geology

dept....a hugh machine involved and after about 10 minutes the Professor said that in the 20

years he's been testing "space rocks" this one is the first real one....that was the Uruacu Meteorite....

I'll be going back there in July but I don't want to wait that long .....in the meantime if I can catch my

friend the rock quarry man in his office I'll start the process....and I'll buy a 20 gal. plastic barrel

to put the iron in and cover it with rice...

What is the chance that where this iron buried itself in the earth that it's the only one? Where the

water has receded is great gold beeping....and that's where this iron was dug out......

Here are some other objects that I have been digging at the gold and the meteorite site....

some are magnetic after attacking my magnet on the pick....

post-300-0-96347000-1359909528_thumb.jpg post-300-0-15233500-1359909543_thumb.jpg

El Dorado I apologize for hi-jacking your knife thread :snapoutofit:

What is the chance that where this iron buried itself in the earth that it's the only one? Where the

water has receded is great gold beeping....and that's where this iron was dug out......

Chances are if you found one there's probably more. :)

Don... Those limonite cube are a great gold indicator, used to dredge them up all the time. I have a nice collection myself