Nugget Shooter Forums

151 and moist sands

whynotme

Hello all, I have been reading and can't find any thing that says how damp the soil can be before one run won't dry it. With all the rain the dessert has been getting all 2ths of an inch. Or can a 141 do the job? Also read that the 151 if not feed it blows gold out any truth to this?

The dirt needs to be dry, dry, dry. Any moisture not only makes a drywasher work poorly and get clogged up, but the small gold sticks to other materials and blows out. It's a waist of time. If you are talking about the So Cal deserts and the little bit of rain we have had over the last two weeks. I would say not this weekend, maybe next the ground would be ok. And it will still be to wet in low spots or more then a foot deep in most washes. Hope this helps.

In a pinch a good ol black plastic sheet does dry sands out pretty good. Spread out the black plastic to heat up,rock the corners, shovel on--after 10 minute warming period-and move around with a broom as a shovel does make a mess a things-Engine blowers will dry more but sometimes 2nd run mandatory . OR go to harbor Freight and get a great ol fire breather propane paint pealer and they work quite nicely and fun at night too-John :brows:

My experience of using a cement-mixer back in the 70's for gold, led me to buy a $100.00, HF cement-mixture in 2008 when moving back to the desert. Left the motor assembly and outer drum off, bolted a roller skate wheel on the drum. Got tied of spreading gravel on traps to dry, so said the hell with that. Ran gravel wet and it paid off. The tumble & grinding action of the mixer losens and frees the gold to stay in the bottom. The mixer being to heavy to lug around, so came up using a rubber tub from Walmart on lazy-suson bearings, mounted on a plastic pipe stand. It works great, little dust. Dakota Slim agrees, he saw it in operation. Where working now recovering 100's of birdshot,along with the gold.

Just a quick observation: Heavy plastic or rubber sheets IF impermeable work well to speed drying time. But a woven plastic or any type of permeable sheeting (such as canvas) will do just the opposite, i.e., such a tarp will wick up moisture from the ground about as fast, or faster, than the rate of surface evaporation. Unless the dirt is VERY rich, using a sheet is inefficient.

I was working on a quad last sunday when it started to rain and rain hard, it stopped ten minutes later but the ground was freshly wet and I didn't want to lay in standing water so I pulled out my "Harbor Freight fire breather" and blasted the ground for a few seconds and it dried it up real nice, so I tend to agree with HJ. If you don't want to sit around and wait for dirt to dry, this setup will git er done...and quick!!! Dig it up, spread it out, heat it up, mix it and do it again, you'll be good to go in no time.

My experience of using a cement-mixer back in the 70's for gold, led me to buy a $100.00, HF cement-mixture in 2008 when moving back to the desert. Left the motor assembly and outer drum off, bolted a roller skate wheel on the drum. Got tied of spreading gravel on traps to dry, so said the hell with that. Ran gravel wet and it paid off. The tumble & grinding action of the mixer losens and frees the gold to stay in the bottom. The mixer being to heavy to lug around, so came up using a rubber tub from Walmart on lazy-suson bearings, mounted on a plastic pipe stand. It works great, little dust. Dakota Slim agrees, he saw it in operation. Where working now recovering 100's of birdshot,along with the gold.

Do you have any pictures as they save words?

Trying to upload 2 pictures. Gravel I run stays clumped when squeesed in hand. When wet the gold finds it eazyer to work out of the clumps. Try it with bird-shot. Will not work in a dry-washer because there is no tumble and grinding action.

Pictures did not show-up, help

Edited by wet/dry mixer