Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for a place to hunt meteorites near Yuma.

Hello All, going to be in Yuma for a couple of weeks on business in January, hoping to get a few days off. If I do I am looking for an area close by to try my luck at meteorite hunting, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Plus I'm looking at buying a metal detector while I'm there (better prices than here in Canada), anyone with detector buying experience in Yuma or suggestions.

Thanks

Tony2163,

I don't know about the Yuma area but if you drive north you can look in the Franconia area which is off of the 40 freeway. Some others here will give you more ideas closer to Yuma.

What I would suggest to you about buying a metal detector is to buy one before you go to Arizona. If you buy one in Arizona and take possession of it there then you will have to pay the sales taxes on it with the possible exception that you could show you are a Canadian citizen. If you buy on the internet now and have it shipped to an address outside of the state of Arizona then the dealer does not have to collect sales taxes from you.

Call Bill and ask him about his deals for out of country/state buyers.

Mitchel

Just go to the Yuma Meteorite Park 6 miles east of town. You can rent a detector or use a magnet pole for free. Keep what you find. Hunt two days and get your third day for half price!

Ask for Joe at the door and he will put you on some good ground. And tell 'em Bedrock Bob sent you!

Thanks for the tips, will keep it in mind. Although I think that the Bush Doctor is trying to have some fun with his Canadian cousin, never heard of a meteorite hunting park, is that like a fish pond, do they restock it on a regular basis;-). We have a few for tourist who come to Canada, like the city made entirely of igloos, just six miles east of Toronto:-p

Cheers

Tony

You caught me in the act!

Yes, just jerking your chain...or moose hair cord, whatever is more appropriate.

Franconia or Holbrook is your best bet. Neither are anywhere near Yuma. But there is a lot of wide open desert out there and the chances of finding a meteorite are all about the same if you are outside of a known strewn field...That would be slim to none but it does not stop folks from hunting and finding them.

Good luck my friend and have a great time! The weather is too darn nice in Yuma during the winter and there is hundreds of square miles of territory to hunt to your heart's content.

They are no known Strewn Fields near Yuma...but, there could/should be some waiting for the alert sight-hunter carrying a magnet stick...the pavement is covered with black rocks so you will have to look for out-of-place rocks that may be fresh and black or rusty or whatever other color God sent to Yuma...

good luck...there are many types of detectors and prices...buyer be informed...

fred

If I was going to Yuma I'd pick up a BLM surface use map and cross-check public lands with satellite imagery (google earth) and try to find a relatively inactive geologic area - mud flats, flat alluvial areas, low hills, etc. - and head out with my magnet stick. :thumbsupanim

I just left Holbrook and you better be an expert if you are going to find anything there now. It has been so picked over and conditions are very tough. There were 3 of us there for 2 days each and we didn't find any. This was my second trip and the others (Twink and Don) have been there many times. It is much different from this summer. All of the south side has had cattle trample it and land at the end of Sun Valley Road is being developed. The fences have been repaired and it is difficult to cross the tracks unless you drive over at the eastern crossing.

Franconia and Gold Basin still seem to produce the most targets on a regular basis. Your problem will be getting there from Yuma but that is only about a 3 hour drive which is much shorter than going all the way from Canada.

Mitchel

There is a meteorite find at the general area called Stone Cabin. It's unclassified and not much was ever found but enough to know there is more there. Someday maybe it will get classified and in the books!

Also, there was some evidense of a fall about a month ago just East of Yuma and South of I-8. So, just about all the area down there has promise of a find.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...