Nugget Shooter Forums

Have had since I was a kid, found in southeast missouri. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Munkieprince...not sure what you got, there's more qualified people in here than me on meteorites and rocks...but it sure looks cool!!

It is a hematite rose. An iron oxide. The ridges and high spots are burnished and that is what seems to be "burn marks".

Nice rock man! You just gotta love the myriad shapes of hematite. Every piece makes you wonder how the heck a rock got formed like that. I think that is why God put all that hematite down here in earth is to make us wonder about rocks from space. I bet 99.44 of all meteor wrongs are some form of hematite or a rock with a hematite shell.

There seems to be a run on hematite concretions on this forum lately. It is nice to see sediments making a comeback.

Edited by Bedrock Bob

I looked up hematite and found some very similiar looking stones. Now let me ask you this, is there any meteorites that resemble this? I did notice that a regular magnet would never stick to it. Is it worth having someone look at it or can I just write it off as a really awesome round meteorwrong? Thanks.

Edited by Munkieprince

Mike and Bob know their stuff...I'd save your money and just enjoy the beauty of it.

Edited by Bucket

Hey Munkenprince,

I wrote a story about a pair of rocks, one a meteorite and one a meteor wrong. I think you might get a kick out of it and it may put things in perspective for you. Here is the link..

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22865

When you hunt meteorites you find hundreds...no...THOUSANDS of meteor wrongs. Meteorites ate VERY rare. And those meteor wrongs become very special too. After all a meteorite hunter learns his stuff by virtue of his failures a lot more than by his successes. And in my case I can say that I learned to appreciate earthly rocks in a whole new way. Especially the iron oxides.

Your hematite rose represents a milestone. It is the one that got you thinking about meteorites. If you ever find one it will be the cornerstone of your success. If you do not it will be the curiosity that motivated you to ask and learn something new. So in a way it is more valuable than most meteorites that a hunter could find.

Put it on the shelf. Even if it is worth nothing it is still the most valuable rock on your shelf. Meteorites are not that big a deal really. If you found one, even a big one, it would not change your life that much. Money just does not do that and meteorites are not really going to bring you much money anyway. Not even if you found a whole bunch of rare ones. But finding a rock that spurs your interest and makes your mind start firing synapses and causes you to inquire...Well, now THERE is a valuable rock!

Keep hunting man! They are out there!

Edited by Bedrock Bob

About the size of a baseball, shaped like one as well. Tried weighing but over loaded 600g scale. So im guessing between 6 and 7 hundred, possibly more. Very heavy for size.

Very nice find. Missouri has a few deposts of iron ore but no mining that I'm aware of. This was supposed to be an attempt to restart but too many problems.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/lawsuit-filed-over-control-of-pea-ridge-mine/article_d93d5729-6000-5826-953c-3c6a78b22734.html

There have been a number of meteorites found in Missouri and I think your best bet would be to go someplace where they have been found before. Don't know exactly where you live but they are scattered all throughout the state.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/missouri_meteorites.htm

My suggestion would be to find the one closest to you and contact the landowners for permission to hunt. If you do, check those old rockpiles on the farms first.. Who knows.. Maybe you'll get really lucky...

Steve

Now let me ask you this, is there any meteorites that resemble this? I did notice that a regular magnet would never stick to it. Is it worth having someone look at it or can I just write it off as a really awesome round meteorwrong?

No, there are no meteorites that have an exterior surface like that. Hematite is an iron oxide that is not attracted to a magnet, and it is also the mineral most often found as a meteorwrong. Magnetite, another iron oxide, is attracted by a magnet and is the other mineral most often found as a meteorwrong. To the unpracticed eye these oxides can display traits that many associate with meteorites, however, when you know what you are looking at the differences are very clear. An example I like to use is an orange peel vs. a lemon peel. To someone who's never seen either fruit before they look essentially the same.

Bob's post hit it on the head, some of my favorite rocks in my collection are meteorwrongs, not because I ever thought they were meteorites, but because of the circumstances surrounding their find or just their aesthetic appeal. Also, you'll spend way more money looking for meteorites that you ever would selling what you find, so it's as much about the journey as the destination. Keep looking, I've discovered that all you have to do to find a meteorite is look everywhere. :)

Edited by Mikestang

Mike,

Here is a display they have at Rich Hill in Stanton to show what you are saying. On the display they show Hematite, Magnetite and a Meteorite. It is in a case and the picture is not the best but these are things I didn't pay much attention to even a year ago.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-54089900-1358151109_thumb.j