Nugget Shooter Forums

Ebay purchase

Hi all,

I thought I would share this recent ebay purchase. I wanted to find a nice, small-sized meteorite that had fusion crust for educational purchases, and I came across the one pictured on ebay for $10. The seller says it is an Algerian Chondrite with a mass of 14.7 grams. The seller was also kind enough to throw in some fragments of a Nantan iron-nickel meteorite as well!

P.S. I included a lincoln cent for reference...I know a lot of people have those cool dice when showing how large a meteorite is. Any idea where I could get one, or if there is a special name for it?

Happy new year,

Simon

post-25896-0-24534200-1357535820_thumb.j

post-25896-0-20797700-1357535904_thumb.j

post-25896-0-81157000-1357535914_thumb.j

Beware of eBay, know who you're buying from.

If the seller was from China the Nantan will be hematite.

The stone looks like a typical desert varnished NWA chondrite. I don't like to pay much more that $0.10-0.30/g for unclassified stuff unless it's really purdy. :rolleyes::D

Edited by Mikestang

Beware of eBay, know who you're buying from.

If the seller was from China the Nantan will be hematite.

The stone looks like a typical desert varnished NWA chondrite. I don't like to pay much more that $0.10-0.30/g for unclassified stuff unless it's really purdy. :rolleyes::D

Thanks for the info, Mike. Glad I only paid for what I saw!

I don't think the seller was from China. The two fragments had a little cardboard placard that gave information about the Nantan meteorite, like composition, location, etc. looked very official, so I dunno.

Thanks again for the help.

Simon

I like the wheat cents too.

Thanks Frank, I'm actually a coin collector. I know a lot more about lincoln cents than I do about meteorites...lol!

I know a lot of people have those cool dice when showing how large a meteorite is. Any idea where I could get one, or if there is a special name for it?

Happy new year,

Simon

They are called scale cubes I think. Amazon or ebay may be a good place to start. Why their so expensive is beyond me :nutty:

Aloha, Or you can go to copquest.com and check out their L-shaped photo scales that are used at crimes scenes. They work just as well for size reference and wont cost you and arm and a leg.

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi