Nugget Shooter Forums

Old Gold Miser blower drywasher

SGTFDA

At the GPAP meeting last night picked up a old wood Gold Miser drywasher with a vac for $35. The motor needs adjusting so I ran the drywasher with my small generator and a electric blower. After a little tuning the drywasher worked great with that setup. I think I'll replace the tray cloth. What is the best cloth to use?

post-384-0-26494800-1357341131_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGTFDA

SGT, you can go to wallmart or any material store an get muslin. Just don't get too tight a weave hold it up to the light and look youll see air/daylight squares.

If you don't see light thru it its too tight a weave.

Remember to wash it an get the sizing out of the material.

If you were closer I'd tell ya to come over an give ya what ya needed.

There are other materials that can be used but muslin is the easiest to find.

If ya happen to be up this way goin to vegas or whatever give me a call I'll cut a piece for ya.

SGT, that cloth on yours was an experiment. If I remember right it is not muslin.

You have the only drywasher with it.

I have a whole bolt of that material in the shop still.

Has the mini seen much use ?? If so how is that cloth holding up ???

I believe it was double layered if I remember right on that riffle tray ??

Edited by frank c

Frank looks like one layer when i hold it up to the light. I've used it a few times and looks like new. My wife Angie the gold sniffer wants to use it next time we go out. I'll keep you posted on how it holds up. You have he'll of a memory. I picked up some muslin and put it in the gold miser tray. What a pain in the butt with all those wood screws. The dirt runs through that old washer just like water in a sluice.

Edited by SGTFDA

• 2 months later...

I have a collection of old Popular Mining magazines from the 1980's and '90's and one article, written as I recall by an old timer in Australia, recommends using polyester cloth. I think he said to check the stretch and pick some cloth that stretches about 10 to 15%. I bought some but haven't as yet tried it.

This is my first post here, seems like a very good group. I have an ancient old Keene 151 drywasher, plus a drywasher built by a friend from Larry Fletcher's plans. Busy working on and trying to improve both of them.

Bob

I have a collection of old Popular Mining magazines from the 1980's and '90's and one article, written as I recall by an old timer in Australia, recommends using polyester cloth. I think he said to check the stretch and pick some cloth that stretches about 10 to 15%. I bought some but haven't as yet tried it.

This is my first post here, seems like a very good group. I have an ancient old Keene 151 drywasher, plus a drywasher built by a friend from Larry Fletcher's plans. Busy working on and trying to improve both of them.

Bob

Please share your improvements on the 151