Nugget Shooter Forums

First nugget?

beaudurkee

Howdy all,

I have spent every free moment for the last couple months detecting out by Twentynine Palms, CA. I have worked different looking ground, contact zones, tailing piles and washes. Gone way back in and close to the road. No nugget yet. I'm getting all types of targets. As small as bird shot. So, I feel like I'm starting to get dialed in with my machine.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I love every minute I spend out there and have met some great new friends. The people I have met in this hobby have been some of the most down to earth people I have ever come accross.

I'm curious how long some of you went before finding your first nugget. I would love to hear the stories. Anyone ever got a nugget as their verry first target? Anyone ever hung in there for a year or more?

Hi, beaudurkee, 2 weeks before Xmas I was camped for a week in the flats not far from the Rusty Gold Mine I think that was your truck that drove by us several times. I was the white 4x4 GMC with the pop up camper and the barking dogs. I worked the flats and the washes in that area for a week were I had found gold before but no luck this time. Don't get discouraged there is gold there and there has been some mighty fine nuggets found in the Dale.. Be diligent it does not come easy but you are working a good area. Check out the WSPA we have some good claims in the Dale and once a year we have a club outing there.

Bob

Took me about a year to get my first and it was a little ove a pennyweight and in my own drywasher header pile after a day digging. Seemed to be much better after realizing I could actually find gold with a detector and they started coming more regular after that. I would hunt a while before that and go back to drywashing tired of digging bullets and wire... Now I detect more than anything and do pretty darn well at it.

Hi, beaudurkee, 2 weeks before Xmas I was camped for a week in the flats not far from the Rusty Gold Mine I think that was your truck that drove by us several times. I was the white 4x4 GMC with the pop up camper and the barking dogs. I worked the flats and the washes in that area for a week were I had found gold before but no luck this time. Don't get discouraged there is gold there and there has been some mighty fine nuggets found in the Dale.. Be diligent it does not come easy but you are working a good area. Check out the WSPA we have some good claims in the Dale and once a year we have a club outing there.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yeah, that was me. I remember your truck and camper. I'm in the RV industry, so your camper caught my attention. I should have stopped and said hi.

Beau

Beaudurkee,

I went out on a club hunt where you were out on the Black Jack claim and that is where I found my first nugget a little less than a year ago. It took me about a year and a half but it was about 15 different tries. One thing that I think makes a difference is how much you know about the desert before you use a metal detector. I knew very little and never had been dry washing or been with anyone who had ever hunted for gold let alone find any. I know how to beach detect but I don't really think I am much of a relic detector. Impatience creeps into my thinking too often but repeating the same 'dumb' patterns or looking in the same 'dumb' places will get me the same results. We all need results and without them we need to seek advice. I found my first nugget in tailing piles. Jim Straights books on metal detecting says 'follow the dry washers.' Dry washers were finding gold before metal detectors and continue to find gold many years later. The modern metal detectors will let us find some of that bigger gold before a dry washer if we slowly detect before they dig the place up. My second piece of gold was no where near any dry washing activity. Go figure ... gold is where you find it. After you find some gold then you grow impatient to find more but you are right, the enjoyment is in the HUNT. This is why I say gold is close to God.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-96258500-1357256659_thumb.j

beaudurkee: The same weekend you were camped near the Rusty Gold and Beeper Bob was camped on those flats I managed to eke out four little ones totaling 1.3g (two at night) all with my GP5000. It can be frustrating when a dry spell comes along. I went several years before I detected a nugget. I bought my original Gold Bug in 1995 in Downieville. That machine had no way to discriminate out iron mineralized stones. It drove me crazy. It wasn't until I moved up to my first Gold Bug 2 that the nuggets just started pouring in. Similar story with my GP Extreme -- nothing for a couple of years except bullet after bullet, then BINGO, I finally had my epiphany when I found a one pennyweighter about 14" deep on the Red Chispa. I suddenly "understood" how to listen to the machine's subtleties. Successful gold nugget shooting requires above all else an ability to focus for long periods of time. If you can find enjoyment out of redirecting your head away from the office and such other brain clutters of work-a-day life while concentrating all of your mental energy on our mutual obsession, then you will find enjoyment out of nugget shooting even on those days when you end up reeking of skunk stink from head to foot. This is so, because if you truly are focussed, then at least you will be learning things each time out -- maybe only where the gold isn't or maybe something new about your detector. But that is the nature of mental focus -- it is an amazing engine driven by pure motivation and an inquisitive mind.

Beau, you will hear different stories from individuals on how long it took to find the 1st nug.

Some have detected 1 on their 1st time out. Others stories vary. Time spent in the field and asking questions like you are doing is a great aid to climbing the ladder to achieve your goal.

It took me about a year to detect my 1st that day I detected 2 more for a total of 3 first nuggets.

Perseverance is number 1.

When you persevere at something you automatically start to learn different aspects about the interest. And that increases your knowledge and gets you rolling in the right directions.

Stick with it theres alot to learn about both VLF's and P.I.'s.

Concentration while detecting will reward you with faster and more detailed understanding of the machine you are using. Learning its capabilities and its quirks.

SO Go get em Good Luck an Hapy Huntn.

Beau ... I had detected the beach for about 10 years before going to the desert. I found my first gold in 3 days of detecting almost in Bill Southern's back yard just south of the entrance to the LSD area in Morristown ... then it was two years to my second one. Keep in mind I lived in NH at the time and only spent the month of February each year hunting for gold. But once I had that first GP3000 and found gold the first time I kept my skills up using it on the ME and NH beaches. Point being the more intimate you are with your equipment the better.

Mike F

Beau, back in '81, having read everything available on the subject of electronic prospecting, I spent 2 days with my Garret A2B in the Dale District. Near the end of the 2nd day, at Pinto Placers, I popped out a raisin-sized nugget. First words out of my mouth weren't "Hallelujah" or something like that, they were "Well, it's about time!" Best day in the Dale rewarded me with 11 oz. Still AU to be found there in the right spots with the right effort. Hope this hleps; HH JIm

My first nugget took about two weekends and the second one took another two weekends to find. The third..... Weeeeelllll that one took 8 months to find!

Keep at it because sooner or later that "bullet" you think you're digging up will end up being a gold nugget and it will be the greatest feeling in the world.

Patience, persistance and perserverance is the key!!

Good luck out there, you'll get one eventually.

I found pounds of gold dredging,sluicing and panning up in far northern California beginning around 1977 and never metal detected for gold until 1994 when my new bride bought me a Gold Bug 2 ... Well, back then I was of the opinion that folks who metal detected for gold were just downright pussies and, though I gave it a try in areas where I was finding lots of gold, many ounces, I just couldn't find a speck with the metal detector ... Then, for business reasons, we moved to Arizona, and an acquaintance told me to go to "Jackass Flats" where there supposedly was good gold nuggets to be had ... I spoke to others here in the Wickenburg area and some also said that Jackass Flats was where locals used to go out on Sunday picnics, eat fried chicken and walk around a pick up big beautiful nuggets off the ground ... The only problem was, when I asked where Jackass Flats was, nobody could exactly remember! ... :Just_Cuz_06: ... Anyhow, Dodacious and I spent lots of weekends cruising different dirt roads and hiking gulleys and continuing our quest for gold nuggets and the elusive "Jackass Flats" ... After a few months, we ended up north of Morristown and followed some side roads ... It was in July and about 112 degrees mid day, near seven years after I began my fruitless beeping ... Dodacious was sitting up on a hill with a tarp tent overhead and I was down frying in a trench that was cut through a caliche hillside ... Got a huge screaming signal on the GB2 and down just about 6 inches was my very first metal-detected nugget ... Arizona has spoiled me ever since, and there's been pounds in the poke ... Below is my very first, 2.5 DWT--Found in "Jackass Flats" a big area which has another name: LSD!!!!!! ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-99389800-1357281012_thumb.jpg

BUT ... BUT ... Uncle Ron ... You told me there aren't any more gold nuggets in LSD ... You got the last one! ... Or was it that you said ..."I got one the last time I was there!" HMMMMMMMMM!!! :brows::Just_Cuz_06:

Well you just never know I'm new to detecting and my first target I dug with a detector turned out to be a two ounce nugget about four inches down using a Goldmaster an old friend had right next to the hole he been digging for the last 15 years "probably one of my old beer cans" he said I dug it anyhow how an low an behold the nugget on my profile pic

Yo Dusty, is your friend still your friend? :barnie: That's awesome! Can you post a bigger picture of it? Cheers, Unc

Thanks for all the stories, they are great. Just got back from two more days in the Dale. No nugget's, but a ton of fun. Got excited about 200 times. Never feel dissapointed when it turns out not to be gold. Just add my little trash treasure to my growing collection. Found a boot tack about 8" down in a old mine tailing pile. Have to admit, I really thought it was going to be the first nug. Found a great spot with quartz and iron and not another sign of a scratch to be seen. When the detector started going off, I thought "okay, here we go". Turns out I discovered a virgin patch of cut up metal bits. I think some miner sat around 100 years ago and cut wire into little peices and scattering it around just to mess with me. :grr01:

beaudurkee,

I am late reading this thread but I can tell that you will be successful;

you have enthusiasm for what you are learning and perseverance, a key trait for a detector operator.

I hope to meet you one day in the Dale, one of the most evocative and magical places I have ever been to in the desert

and I could not tell you why, it just is.

Good luck and good hunting.

:idunno: bummer is it's been over 50+ years ago and found sooooo many pounds I can't truly remember it---wow :old: but that's cool too as now maybe I can also forget some horrendous stuff also-John :brows:

beaudurkee: Those little pieces of cut up wire bits you reference likely are the decomposed remnants of an old timer's classifier made out of ordinary window screen. But I have come across places scattered liberally with metal shop filings, BBs and ball bearings. Such deliberate seeding affords a glimpse into a seemingly darker side of the human critters we share the desert expanses with.

beaudurkee: Those little pieces of cut up wire bits you reference likely are the decomposed remnants of an old timer's classifier made out of ordinary window screen. But I have come across places scattered liberally with metal shop filings, BBs and ball bearings. Such deliberate seeding affords a glimpse into a seemingly darker side of the human critters we share the desert expanses with.

Funny you mention the classifier. The pieces were square and my first thought was some type of expanded metal. Most pieces were 1/2 to a inch long, but I did find one piece about 18 inches long. The metal was about 1/16 square and had about a 1/2 inch section every 8 inches where it was joined like expanded metal. But, it was streached out into a single line. I have grown up on ranches, seen all types of baling, barbed and expanded metal. Haven't seen this. After you mentioned people seeding a area, I started looking at the pieces more closely. They don't look like they were cut up with a tool (no pinched ends). Just one of the deserts many mysteries.

beaudurkee,

I am late reading this thread but I can tell that you will be successful;

you have enthusiasm for what you are learning and perseverance, a key trait for a detector operator.

I hope to meet you one day in the Dale, one of the most evocative and magical places I have ever been to in the desert

and I could not tell you why, it just is.

Good luck and good hunting.

I get the same feeling out there. You find miner trails that look the same as they did 150 years ago, because there is no rain or growth to erode them. Then on the other hand you can look over a vast dry wash and how long ago was that much water moving through to create it.

I was actually taking a break and having a pop. Thinking about how quiet it was and how I felt like I was sitting on the lifeless moon... when a humming bird came and landed on the tip of my detector for a moment. Don't think I have every seen one land before and never expected to see one with no flowers for miles.

I found this bizarre section of the desert where someone had run a grader and scraped the surface gravel into long thin strips, what for?

I get caught up wanting to know the story behind every old car part and desert junk I find.

Archived