Nugget Shooter Forums

Looking for opinions

beaudurkee

I want to get a trail bike or quad for getting into areas I don't want to take my truck. My checklist requirements are: Reliable, get in and out of truck bed by myself, easy to ride.

I don't need to set any speed records and I'm not going hill climbing. Just want to put my detector in a backpack and head out into the deset (and then get back).

I would really appreciate hearing what has worked for you and what hasn't.

Thanks

You thinking new...or used? Anytime you go used the reliability factor can drop a notch or two but most fuel injected 4x4 quads are pretty darn reliable, but if its used you can't be sure unless you ride it around locally for a bit before heading out into the abyss. Pack a spare drive belt and basic tools.

• Like 1

A lot depends on the territory your wanting to go into.....for example a quad has a lot of room up front and in the

back to carry gear and the quad will go places your pick-up would never go .....you can put one in your P/U and

drive it out on ramps....same way for loading it back up.....

In my case terrain and vegetation are a big problem.....plus streams to cross that are to deep for a quad and

the forest here are almost impossible to penetrate with a quad.....so my best solution would be a ROKON....

Look it up here: www.rokon.com.....

What ever you decide on and if you buy used....first thing take it to a dealer and have them check it out....best if

the seller will allow you to do this before the sale....

Have fun.....be safe....find a lot of gold

I'm starting to lean toward a side by side. I like the models with the little truck beds on the back for hauling gear (and a extra seat for a buddy). The Rokon is badass. I had never seen one before.

Get yerself a 250 air cooled suzuki with racks front an rear.

Drive all week on a gallon or 2 of gas an no radiators hoses sensors xtra wiring and plumbing etc etc etc.

Keep it simple stupid thats what the girls always said when I was young :brows:

Get yerself a 250 air cooled suzuki with racks front an rear.

Drive all week on a gallon or 2 of gas an no radiators hoses sensors xtra wiring and plumbing etc etc etc.

Keep it simple stupid thats what the girls always said when I was young :brows:

I agree to a point, ya don't need all the extra stuff that may open the door to probs later on.

I just got a used Suzuki 300 and it seems to be fairly simple, but two riders are not recommended. :rolleyes:

I have a 70 year old friend who has been using one for close to 10 years a 250 and takes his wife with him.

I have mine set up for 2 an take the otherhalf and her detector and accs.

If ya don't push the envelope on these units like a wild young kid yer set ta go.

I'm with Steve (El Dorado) ... Get yourself a Polaris RZR 800 (50" wide model so you can go on the ATV trails if you want to) and a trailer to haul it ... you will never go back to a quad ... or at least i won't.

Mike F

• 5 months later...

I'm with Steve (El Dorado) ... Get yourself a Polaris RZR 800 (50" wide model so you can go on the ATV trails if you want to) and a trailer to haul it ... you will never go back to a quad ... or at least i won't.

Mike F

But it wont fit in your PU but the RZR is for sure nicer than a quad for steep hills. Check it out good though if buying used, I know of two that got dusted ( dirt got past air cleaner ) One fella I know ran PVC pipe up behind roll cage to the top and put another air filter up there. Some of the early models had quite a bit of throttle body problems on fuel injection about a $500 fix when it happens

I am really hard on equipment and the solution I've found, regarding reliability: HONDA! I've got an old '94 4x4 300 Fourtrax that I beat to death, never maintain and it gets me there and back reliably! No frills and it ain't sexy, but it sure has hauled a lot of gold home! Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Im with Ron HONDA all the way they run and run and run :thumbsupanim -when I rode street bikes most of them were hondas as well-right now I have a 96 Honda forman 400 4X4 and its never let me down-gets me there and back :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200: