Nugget Shooter Forums

The biggest bullet I ever dug up.

Redbeard

I got a big one last month myself. I thought, I'll post a pic of mine and show a realy big bullet. Then I saw yours and mine looks small. Okay, this is starting to sound wierd, lol. Nice find, I think it's cool. Probably a good idea to leave it out there. A lot of that old stuff was Depleted uranium (DU; also referred to in the past as Q-metal, depletalloy or D-38). I had a friend who found a old 50 cal bullet. Thought it was cool and drilled it to make into a key chain. Few days later he wasn't feeling to good. Not sure on the conection, but betterr to be safe then glowing :ROFL: :ROFL:

I don't know much about military shells but I would think one that big might have a charge inside. Maybe someone that knows will chime in... :idunno:

I don't know much about military shells but I would think one that big might have a charge inside. Maybe someone that knows will chime in... :idunno:

"Generally" ones you find in the southerrn deserts have been used for training purposes and have no charge. But, I wouldn't go beating on it with a hammer to find out.

I thought about the depleted Uranium angle too.

When I dug it up I knew I had something really big and was pretty careful but I didn't expect this.

I found it many miles from the nearest military training area so I guess this was just one that got away from them. A friend said he thought it was a tank round. I wonder how far they can shoot.

Found one like it near the Little Mules Mountains CA, around 3" dia. but it had blue paint on it. Reported it to the owner of the land and later told me it was a dummie, and the military removed it. Would not want to mess with the one you found, the blue one I found did not have a tip on front.

How good of a shot are you? You had better be off quite a ways when you attempt to do that. The shrapnel from that bugger flys a good distance and tears the body up pretty badly. Looks like a tank round to me and it's better to let a sleeping dog lie, but it should be reported and the military will despose of it properly least someone else runs accross it.

Old Tom

Hi redbeard :You should call it in to the local sheriff's office even though you were lucky the next person might not be.here in sandiego a couple of kids playing in their local cayon found an unexploded shell and played with it and it coast them there lifes when it EXPLODED.

Hi redbeard :You should call it in to the local sheriff's office even though you were lucky the next person might not be.here in sandiego a couple of kids playing in their local cayon found an unexploded shell and played with it and it coast them there lifes when it EXPLODED.

Good idea, betterr to be safe then sorry.

Yea , That on May have some Kableweeeeeeeeeeee Left in it! LOL!

I'm Stupit! I would put a M-80 on the fuse and light it.

I might do that but it would be WAY more fun to shoot it (from about 300 yards) to see what happens.

You might want to have something very solid to hide behind, that bad boy would still do some damage at 300 yards!!!

Chris take a GPS fix on the bullet and call it in to your county Sheriff....they will probably send out the

military EOD boys that know what their doing and they won't be shooting it either....they know better....

I talked to a guy from the Army a few minutes ago and they are going to send some guys out. He said they will set off a bit of C4 on it to see what happens. He said they also sometimes shoot them with a .50 cal.

T-bone, That is a great photo. I'd love to see that go off.

I know it would have been cool to blow that sucker up myself but...

I knew I probably wouldn't be back for a while and started worrying that some guy who doesn't know which way to wear a baseball cap might stumble on it and bring it back to camp.

That look like a 105mm. I would be very careful around that round. Here are some pic and other info's...

That would surely got rid of the overburden!

More Au to you, Robert

post-1291-0-91922600-1357351242_thumb.jp

post-1291-0-32773300-1357351261_thumb.jp

post-1291-0-29993100-1357351296_thumb.jp

These were a little easier to pack out. :D

guys that noughty stuff its real stuff, with explosive chardge. dont mess with that. if you se, 2 rings on it with holes, that its used for timing and temping the grenade. that tells me its one with chardge inside, and explosives with years become crustalyne and have tendency to be unstable, and even moving around can make it react and its not good and healty for you. if you can call cops to brings bombs squad to destrow that bomb, before some another find it and get waporized

Archived