Nugget Shooter Forums
beaudurkee

No score, but a scare!

Went out to the local GPAA claim in Bautista Canyon today (near Hemet, CA). I have never heard of anyone doing well here, but its 20 min from my house and I go there when I have a bad case of gold fever and not much time. Today was first time there with my detector. I really just went to practice, since detecting is my newest prospecting foray (been diggin for years).

The almost score... I had walked about a 1/2 mile further up the stream then I had ever gone before. I came across a quartz vein that someone had tore into. I started working the tailings, strip detect strip detect etc. When I get a signal. Woohoo, I get excited immediately, since I'm already over a foot down in the pile. 3" down I hit bedrock that the tailings are sitting on. After some examination and head scratching, I realize my target is down a crevice in the bedrock. I work as deep as I can with the nail and screwdriver I had with me and couldn't get it. Grrrrrrr! I'll have to regroup and go back with bigger tools and maybe a vac.

Now, the scare... I find a trail and decide to go full Mountain Goat in order to get up on the plateau above the quarts vien, thinking it might pop back up out of the ground. As I reach the top gasping and weezing, I realize I'm standing in someone's old marijuana grow and camp site. Gave me the creeps and I got the hell out'a there. I carry Mr. Glock with me for this verry reason. But, I'm always afraid of running into growers with bigger guns. I want to find stuff barried in the desert, not become something barried in the desert.

I've run across that a few times in the past 20 years or so ... Just comes with the territory ... Cheers, Unc

No big deal as wrong time a year. Sounds like ya had some good clean fun and exercise is always great too- :brows: -John

Did you ever go back and check out that crack?

Dizz

Did you ever go back and check out that crack?

Dizz

Yep, 90 minutes, several knuckle busters and a smashed thumb later(i'm not the most coordinated guy with a hammer)... I pulled 3 nice pieces of bird shot out of that crack. I'm glad my life doesn't depend on finding gold. :kap:

Yep, 90 minutes, several knuckle busters and a smashed thumb later(i'm not the most coordinated guy with a hammer)... I pulled 3 nice pieces of bird shot out of that crack. I'm glad my life doesn't depend on finding gold. :kap:

You aint kiddin. When its all said and done, if I save all my bird shot finds I will be able to create a nuclear shelter...

Went out to the local GPAA claim in Bautista Canyon today (near Hemet, CA). I have never heard of anyone doing well here, but its 20 min from my house and I go there when I have a bad case of gold fever and not much time. Today was first time there with my detector. I really just went to practice, since detecting is my newest prospecting foray (been diggin for years).

The almost score... I had walked about a 1/2 mile further up the stream then I had ever gone before. I came across a quartz vein that someone had tore into. I started working the tailings, strip detect strip detect etc. When I get a signal. Woohoo, I get excited immediately, since I'm already over a foot down in the pile. 3" down I hit bedrock that the tailings are sitting on. After some examination and head scratching, I realize my target is down a crevice in the bedrock. I work as deep as I can with the nail and screwdriver I had with me and couldn't get it. Grrrrrrr! I'll have to regroup and go back with bigger tools and maybe a vac.

Now, the scare... I find a trail and decide to go full Mountain Goat in order to get up on the plateau above the quarts vien, thinking it might pop back up out of the ground. As I reach the top gasping and weezing, I realize I'm standing in someone's old marijuana grow and camp site. Gave me the creeps and I got the hell out'a there. I carry Mr. Glock with me for this verry reason. But, I'm always afraid of running into growers with bigger guns. I want to find stuff barried in the desert, not become something barried in the desert.

its ok they cant carry ar15s or aks or have more than seven round clips :nutty::grr01::ROFL: