Nugget Shooter Forums

Here is something you don't get to see very often!

Danby Dry Lake Meteorite. One that people do not get to see the inside often....or ever! This is one of those meteorites that you might pick up, scratch your head looking at it and throw it back down. These pictures are meant to show the breccia. It is difficult to see the clasts but the camera at the right angle pulls them out pretty good! Enjoy!

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN0997.jpg

With a focus hair! :tisk-tisk:

DSCN0991.jpg

Edited by Desertsunburn

Yep! I would chuck it down it looks Earth made to me.

I see Stratification in it.

Not Space Origin.

Wanna bet?

BTW, this specimen a specimen found by Jim Kreigh on his last hunt before he passed away. This was the stone cut and tested by Uof A, now in my care. Jim was born this day in 1929, I might add. I thought it fitting to share this rare specimen on behalf of Jim on his Birthday. Some of you knew him and many of us have visited the pit he dug at Danby!

Jim

Mike, it's in the Met Bulls as Danby Dry Lake. If you look, lookat the comments. Man, I do not like bulletins with little or no history or adaquate discription!!

Bob Verish wrote a short paper on Danby when the TKW was increased. Other than that, there is not much of nothing out there about it!

Rob Matson ended up donating a larger chunk (still smaller than this one to UCLA too. I would actually like to find a good home for this one and others I have as well.

Jim

Beautiful pics of a very nice rare stone. Thanks for sharing them. Congratulations on having such a nice piece.