Nugget Shooter Forums

Bellows drywasher question

Caliche Chris

Hey guys, I've been looking at several different drywashers, still debating on buying a decent priced one or building one myself. I know on blower models the fan with an offset weight causes the box to shake. My question is this. How do the bellows type washers work? Do they have a fan that the bellows forces air through to cause the shaking motion? This may seem like a dumb question but I don't understand how the bellows type works if there isn't any shaking action in addition to the "puff" from the bellows. I was under the impression that only the blowers have the fan inside them. Could someone explain this to me please? Thanks.

Here is a video of a bellow type in action.

It was made by one of our forum members , Frank C.

I like the quiet, jigging action of this type.

The bellows have a one way flapper valve that closes on the puff cycle forcing the air through the riffle board. On the intake stroke the flap opens and draws air in to the bellow chamber, allot like diaphragm pump.

Ok, now I have a better idea how the puffers work. I've been looking online at different plans and models and I think I'm going to go with Franks backpack model. They seem well built and are in my price range. Also, I'm hoping to get to see bedrock Bobs drywasher in action before I make any final decisions. Thanks for the helpful videos!

Howdy,

I have a collection of puffers. I like the puffers. When I go out to enjoy a day away from work, the last thing I want to listen to is a leaf blower running all day. Anyway, I believe a good puffer can do just as good, if not better, than a blower when used as a one man opperation. The keene is a great unit, moves a lot of dirt for a puffer. The Thompson is not far behind that (I just noticed a used one for $299 on las Vegas CL) thats a great buy. But, By far my personal favorite is the Desert Wolf. It has a vibrating clasifier which works great and gives you that vibration you were asking about, that you can't get from any other drywasher. These units arn't cheap, but if you ever use one, you'll never use another. Check out the site http://desertwolfsmfg.com/ . Ed Wolf, the owner, is a great guy and will answer any questions you have.

A offset weighted fan does NOT vibrate when run properly, it is a high frequency panning motion and NOT the old school buzz vibration. Took us at PESCO quite a bit of work to perfect and the adjustability of the offset weight system is the key. Just like a concentrating table you need a certain throw to get the absolute best results. Huffers are no competition ever-John

The desert wolfs do look nice, but I have to admit my ass puckered up tighter than a snare drum when I saw the price. I'm out of work at the moment, I've been going out and cutting hundreds of salt cedar posts and selling them a quarter a piece just to scrape by. It's rough work but I'll take that over a job at McDonald's any day.

John, thanks for the info, I just thought it was supposed to rattle I didn't know the idea was to get a panning motion. That makes sense and does seem like it would work better.

Howdy,

I have a collection of puffers. I like the puffers. When I go out to enjoy a day away from work, the last thing I want to listen to is a leaf blower running all day. Anyway, I believe a good puffer can do just as good, if not better, than a blower when used as a one man opperation. The keene is a great unit, moves a lot of dirt for a puffer. The Thompson is not far behind that (I just noticed a used one for $299 on las Vegas CL) thats a great buy. But, By far my personal favorite is the Desert Wolf. It has a vibrating clasifier which works great and gives you that vibration you were asking about, that you can't get from any other drywasher. These units arn't cheap, but if you ever use one, you'll never use another. Check out the site http://desertwolfsmfg.com/ . Ed Wolf, the owner, is a great guy and will answer any questions you have.

Welcome to the forums and yup I am a puffer fan as well, after a day listening to a leaf blower style my head wants to explode.... Like the ca-chink ca-chink of the puffer.

Welcome to the forums and yup I am a puffer fan as well, after a day listening to a leaf blower style my head wants to explode.... Like the ca-chink ca-chink of the puffer.

Thanks Bill,

Great forum. I'm enjoying it.

Bill

A couple drops of oil will take care of that ca-chink thing,and then it

will just make a pleasing thump ,thump sound. :ROFL:

I guess that was my best.... or not attempt at describing the metal linkage on my Keene as it runs, heck I bet I can dance to it :4chsmu1:

"Separation" is the essential initial dynamic of any gravity based recovery system, be it wet or dry. Both blowers and puffers separate material, albeit in somewhat different ways. But "Holding" and "Concentrating" are features that primarily contribute to the poke's bottom line. A blower simply blows air constantly through the riffle tray cloth to separate material that runs across it while the descending angle of the riffle tray affects the acceleration of the particles down the riffle tray toward the tailing pile. Meanwhile, as John points out, certain types of agitation or action of the riffle tray can affect the percentage of values that are concentrated and held (or lost). There is no "one size fits all" combination of factors. The operator must monitor and make adjustments according to the composition of the material being run (is the material mostly sharp edged or rounded? Is it heavily laden with black sand and ironstones or not? Is it bone dry or somewhat damp? Does it contain a greater ratio of dust -- especially fine dust -- or not? etc.).

A puffer both blows and sucks, i.e., on the compression stroke of the bellows air is blown upwards through the tiny openings of the riffle tray cloth causing the material to "jump" upwards and separate momentarily, while on the intake stroke air is sucked back down through the riffle tray cloth into the bellows chamber causing the mass of material to be drawn down, re-concentrated and held against the cloth momentarily. The angle of descent of the riffle tray affects the speed of the material as gravity pulls it downwards into the tails. It also determines the volume of material that will pass over the riffles. Thus, a puffer's rhythmic action inherently makes it slower to accumulate tails -- but can enhance its ability hang onto values. How well leveled the riffle tray is maintained or whether it is inadvertently jostled, of course, will affect its ability to concentrate and hang on to values. Again, there is no one size fits all combination of factors. Experience and focus are as important as the mechanical design of the machine.

It's kind of like a ballad if you ask me...I love em!!

Was waiting for Clint Eastwood to come around the corner with his Pancho and Stogie in mouth..... real good video.

Joe

I guess that was my best.... or not attempt at describing the metal linkage on my Keene as it runs, heck I bet I can dance to it :4chsmu1:

I put some electrical tape around the shaft that passes through the adjuster on the Keene. Ca-Chink be gone. I take my keene with me everytime as my backup. Units are bulit proof.

I have to disagree about the Desert Wolf. I bought one used (very little) (very cheap) . I soon converted it to my own design of which I have built and sold lots of', for me the Beck is the best.

Pic,s are the one I build.

msg-7251-0-99898200-1345678911_thumb.jpg

post-7251-0-15842400-1296940343_thumb.jp

post-7251-0-13227400-1296940400_thumb.jp

I have to disagree about the Desert Wolf. I bought one used (very little) (very cheap) . I soon converted it to my own design of which I have built and sold lots of', for me the Beck is the best.

Pic,s are the one I build.

I haven't used a beck. Is that a little gas motor on it? Kinda defeats the purpose (for me). I see you got rid of the vibrating clacifier on the top. That is my favorite feature. I also like the fact that the desert wolf can be easily folded down for back packing. Just goes to show why there are so many machines and so many favorites... We all have different needs and wants.

baeudurkee, I didnt mean to insinuate that I build "Becks" , Russ Ford of Dewey,AZ owns the rights to them. That being said the one pictured with the gas motor I did build with Beck's original parts when Charlie Salwasser owned the rights to them in Randsburg,CA. I used a gas motor because I was working a claim out past the LDMA camp on a precentage basis that produced in excess of an OZ every 8 hours and I didn't have time to charge batteries. The owner had it fenced and locked and we could only work it from 8 to 5.

The ones I build is the one with the 5 gallon bucket cut in have for a hopper, it folds up. I also built one that fit into a 5 gallon bucket when folded, it was hand operated.

I would like to have a "Thomspon" or a Nicks Nugget.

I don'thave a picture of the Desert Wolf.

I haven't used a beck. Is that a little gas motor on it? Kinda defeats the purpose (for me). I see you got rid of the vibrating clacifier on the top. That is my favorite feature. I also like the fact that the desert wolf can be easily folded down for back packing. Just goes to show why there are so many machines and so many favorites... We all have different needs and wants.

Edited by Gilaoro