Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone have luck with Coyote Dry Lake?

Hi guys and gals,

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, and is looking forward to a great new year.

I am planning a trip down to SoCal in perhaps a week or two, my main point of interest being Coyote Dry Lake (looked it up from this site: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/index.php). I am choosing this location, because it seems to have a lot of finds, at least according to the site I looked it up on. Has anyone searched here before? Any luck? Tips? Thank you in advance. I am just beginning, but am learning quite a lot. I noticed that a lot of the finds listed are H5, so I will bring along a big magnet stick. (I don't have a metal detector...is it worth renting one?)

Thanks again,

Simon

Edited by noncents

Aloha Simon,

Here is a tip that should get you a specimen or two: Hunt with the sun to your backand kee scanning ahead of you looking for any anomoly. I used to constantly talk to myself asking "What is wrong with this picture?" . Hopefully this will help. Good luck out there.

aloha,

Stan aa Kaimi

Thank you for the suggestion. I plan on looking for darker rocks that have a metallic appearance to them. I did an image search for H5 chondrite on google images, so I think I might base it off that.

I've got about 40 hours of field time in at Coyote, never found anything, but it's a big playa. Stay on BLM designated routes, and watch the private property on the north shore that you don't end up driving/hiking through someone's yard.

Once again, thank you to everyone that responded. Are there any good areas within an hours drive of Barstow? That is where I will be most likely staying. Thanks again.

Once again, thank you to everyone that responded. Are there any good areas within an hours drive of Barstow? That is where I will be most likely staying. Thanks again.

Yes, just about anywhere within an hour of Barstow is good meteorite hunting. : )

Edited by Mikestang

Do you guys think it is worth it to rent a metal detector for searching the Barstow area? I have actually never used one before...

Edited by noncents

Simon...contrary to what one sees on the tv...using a detector generally requires more that turning the knob to on and wildly swinging the coil...especially when hunting for meteorites and gold nuggets...

save your money and sanity until you can get some lessons and/or practice with someone who knows which end is which on a detector...

fred

Not for the dry lakes in the area, no.

Cool. Thanks for the info, Mike and Fred. It'll just be a magnet stick and eyesight alone, then!

Edited by noncents

Alright, my plan is to do a 3-4 day trip down in Barstow. First day we get there and probably relax, get any additional info we need. Second and third day we will most likely visit:

-Coyote dry lake

-Harper Dry Lake

-Lucerne Valley

I chose these 3 places because they are all within an hours drive of Barstow, which is just great.

Hope everyone has a happy new year!