Nugget Shooter Forums

Just got a quad

Steel Pan

Just picked up a used Suzuki 300.

4 wheel high, low and very low drive, w/locking differentials.

Winch and front and rear racks.

It has a little over 1600 miles.

I think it's goin' to be just what I need out on the claim.

Prob gonna need tires the end of next season.

Never had one before. Seems to be plenty powerful and can't wait to get 'er out to play.

Had to fight off Albino Brain Chiggers to get it home, but I made it O.K. :wee:

Congrats! and be safe. In regards to tires, check out the tire thread here.

Congrats! and be safe. In regards to tires, check out the tire thread here.

Was looking at that thread yesterday since I knew this quad would need 'em.

Been dealin' on this quad for about a week. Managed to talk the seller down

quite a bit and the tires was one of the reasons, plus I told him I didn't need

the plow and storm cab. I have a tractor for plowing and I've never been

impressed with those flimsy storm cabs with the plastic "wilndows".

Only thing I need to do is build ramps for loading the quad into my P.U.

I already have the material since I'm a pack rat at heart. A little expanded metal

and angle iron will do the trick. :brows:

Not only practical, but lots of fun. Just be very careful on downhill off camber turns..... that's when they tend to roll/flip

Thanks, I have a little experiance on most handling issues. I used to race snowmobiles cross country and have "the lean" figured out. But yes, I'm gonna take 'er easy, I'm gettin' too old to be reckless anymore. :olddude:

• Like 1

The are some great videos on Youtube on how not to load an ATV!

Edited by Desertsunburn

We load the grandsons yamaha 450 into the bed of the truck without ramps.... we each grab a front tire and put it up and on the tailgate then we both pickup the rear side and push it in.....Done.

to get it down we each pick up the rear side and pull it back til the rear wheels can reach the ground with the front wheels on the tailgate..... then just give it a quick pull backwards to get the front wheels on the ground. If you have a utility quad i'm not sure how much heavier it is. This one weighs about 380lbs and i'm not a big guy by any means.

I was going to buy ramps until i seen how easy this was with two people.

Joe

We load the grandsons yamaha 450 into the bed of the truck without ramps.... we each grab a front tire and put it up and on the tailgate then we both pickup the rear side and push it in.....Done.

to get it down we each pick up the rear side and pull it back til the rear wheels can reach the ground with the front wheels on the tailgate..... then just give it a quick pull backwards to get the front wheels on the ground. If you have a utility quad i'm not sure how much heavier it is. This one weighs about 380lbs and i'm not a big guy by any means.

I was going to buy ramps until i seen how easy this was with two people.

Joe

There was a time when I could have done that too, but after a couple of car wrecks, skiing and snowmobile accidents, a train wreck, and numerous other encounters with life's surprises I no longer have that simple option. :th: At this stage of the game, I'm lucky to just be able to ride the darn thing. :olddude:

There was a time when I could have done that too, but after a couple of car wrecks, skiing and snowmobile accidents, a train wreck, and numerous other encounters with life's surprises I no longer have that simple option. :th: At this stage of the game, I'm lucky to just be able to ride the darn thing. :olddude:

Time for Ramps or a very small trailer which is even easier yet

when by myself i used ramps i would pick a high spot in the land and back up to it then put the ramps straight out from the pickup to the high spot in the land then just walk the quad across by myself and it was nearly level.

Joe

Just make sure you put some chains from the bottom of each ramp to some sort of attachment point on your truck. I can't tell how many times I've seen ramps shift or slip and tear up vehicles and people.

Most use a chain to the safety chain loops on a receiver. Just make sure that they're short enough to not let the ramp slide off. Make the chain adjustable at the ramp end for those uneven loading situations.

Another thing to consider: Your tailgate lines. If they're cable, might want to consider a solid bar method when loading. Most cables aren't meant to handle 500# repeatedly (if at all) - think weight of you + quad.

Just want you guys to stay safe out there.

• Like 2

when by myself i used ramps i would pick a high spot in the land and back up to it then put the ramps straight out from the pickup to the high spot in the land then just walk the quad across by myself and it was nearly level.

Joe

I'll be using your method most of the time. At my center of operations I have a nice high bank on which to off load.

Just make sure you put some chains from the bottom of each ramp to some sort of attachment point on your truck. I can't tell how many times I've seen ramps shift or slip and tear up vehicles and people.

Most use a chain to the safety chain loops on a receiver. Just make sure that they're short enough to not let the ramp slide off. Make the chain adjustable at the ramp end for those uneven loading situations.

Another thing to consider: Your tailgate lines. If they're cable, might want to consider a solid bar method when loading. Most cables aren't meant to handle 500# repeatedly (if at all) - think weight of you + quad.

Just want you guys to stay safe out there.

The gate does have cables, so I was figuring on disconnecting them and let the gate drop. Planning on having the upper end of the ramps having a piece that will drop into the gap between the gate and the bed. That's a great idea to use an anchor chain for stability.

Hey y'all, I really appreciate all of the suggestions and will take your advice with seriious concideration.

Thanks!!! :shake2:

Edited by Steel Pan

Quads are so much fun......check to see if you have a skid plate underneath as that could ruin a really nice day.

Merry Christmas :Just_Cuz_06:

Joe

Quads are so much fun......check to see if you have a skid plate underneath as that could ruin a really nice day.

Merry Christmas :Just_Cuz_06:

Joe

Yep, got the skid plate. I can't tell for sure without jackin' 'er up, it may be a two piece. :89:

...and a Merry Christmas to you too. :)

Sounds like you picked up a king quad 300 just like mine. They will climb anything you have the guts to try in super low diff lock. Only issues are with the CV carb on these machines being a little finicky. The choke (enricher actually) likes to stick open causing a super rich mixture and very poor fuel economy along with smoke out the exhuast and plug fouling. Use a good inline fuel filter to help stop that issue.

The guy I got it froim told me that it has issues of flooding when tryin' to start.

It's just a matter of getting used to the machine. :brows:

It's pure torture not bein' able to get it out to the claim 'til Spring. :cry2:

I'm sure it won't do well in 5' of dead Albino Brain Chiggers. :th: