Nugget Shooter Forums

Until now I have used only vlf detectors for nugget hunting and I have been rather successful at it.

I just recently purchased a ML gpx 4500 so I can eliminate some of the hot ground in my area. The areas I hunt are usually full of square nails and other iron trash, can anyone give me some suggestions on the iron disc. settings on the 4500.

I never use the discrimination while nugget shooting unless trying to work in a specific area unworkable any other way like a wash full of bits of iron and nails. That said with the GPX you must have a DD coil on for it to work and you can adjust disc level in your control panel. The discrimination will not blank out the iron like a coin detector, but will give a broken signal on most trash iron and the normal solid hit on non-ferrous metals. Kind of like the center of the signal just drops out and with some practice you will get the hang of it.

Great advice, yes I understand the point of digging all targets but some spots as Chris and Bill stated are loaded with iron. I have had luck with my Lobo in disc mode and it works very well for shallow targets. I was just wondering if I had better advantage with the ML with the dd coil,and in disc mode over the Tesoro Lobo. My buddy has been pulling out some nice pieces with his Lobo in disc mode last few days. So my question would be will the ML give me better depth in disc mode over the lobo, or is there not much difference between the two detectors. Thanks again...Happy Holidays to you all... :miner: :miner:

Chris great video...thanks. I notice the sound breaks when over the ferrous target.

Edited by Relichunter2

The ML will get much more depth and handle the most sever mineralization.

The Lobo will do a better job at discriminating the small shallow targets.

If there are nice nuggets in that area clean it out of all targets with the ML, start with the stock 11" mono.

Dig emm all even the loud surface targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQhXGHiXaI

Edited by nvchris

Discrimination is kind of the Achilles Heel of Pulse Induction machines. It just doesn't work as well as a VLF. Once a company comes out with a solid PI w/ VLF-like disc, there will be new nugget patches found by the boat load :)

Unless Adam gets there first. That man is a digging, gold finding nut, I tell ya.

Here is the latest find in area I am hunting. It weighs 3 grams and was found with a Tesoro Lobo in disc mode setting at 3. Can you see a French poodle? I am going to take my ML and give it a try to see if I can pull some deeper ones out.

Edited by Relichunter2

Sorry no poodle picture..not sure how to attach picture...

When you're posting click on "More Reply Options" at the bottom right of the reply box and you then will see the attachment option.

If you're editing a reply to add an attachment then click on "Use Full Editor" to find the attachment option.

Yesterday I went out to one of my spots with the stock 11 inch dd coil provided with my gpx 4500. After setting up my front cap and back cap settings including disc at 5 I was off to a new adventure. I am a new Minelab user and never used it in disc. mode. I was in extreme heavy brush working some old tailing piles working up a gulch. My first observation was how well the disc worked on small and larger shallow targets. If I had a target that was questionable all I had to do was remove a few inches of dirt off the top and it would identify it as iron. After about an hour of detecting I found a three grammer nugget on the very top of a tailing pile. The one difficulty I had was hunting the heavy brushed gullies. Has anyone had any experience with the 10x5 double d Commander coil ? It seems this is the one to own for the type of terrain I am usually hunting. The other two coils I have other than the stock 11 inch dd is the Platapus coil, and the 12x18 Mono Coiltek Goldstalker. The platapus I used and seemed to work fine, but I don't hear much reviews on it from others. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Happy New Year to all...

The Platy is a great coil!

My first reply in this topic is a video of me using the DD 5x10 Commander, a must have coil size for working heavy cover.

Coiltek also makes the Joey, 5x10 in DD and Mono.