Nugget Shooter Forums

lode claim info

ruffneck84

A point to ponder,...

Since you already have an active placer claim you have the right to explore/sample every square inch of your claim.

I sample areas upstream and uphill from the stream for any indicators of the presence of Gold.

Even at the furthest points on the claim from my workings, I keep an eye out for any outcropings and their composition. What different rocks are layin' around, are there a lot of them, and are they the right kind. :89:

It's called "takin' a read" of the land. :reading:

Ya never know what you'll find.

I'd just keep doin' what yer doin', no need to jump out there until things really take off. Y'know? :brows:

Even then,... :inocent:

Edited by Steel Pan

Uninvited prospectors can not make a lode claim over your placer - period. *

As a placer claim owner you can, and should, make a lode claim on any lode deposits of valuable minerals found on your placer claim. That lode claim is in addition to your placer claim and does not replace or void the original placer claim.

Although younger miners today tend to ignore the possibility of patenting their discoveries they should be aware that known lodes on their placer claim will be exempted by law from the placer patent and can be subject to location by others even after the placer patent has been issued if it can be proven that they knew of the lode deposit at the time of their patent application yet did not include it in their application.

The key point is whether you knew of the lode deposit. It may be unwise to make known any lode deposits you discover on your placer. :200:

* Those who have been invited to prospect your claim can locate a lode claim over your placer should they discovery, define and expose mineral in place.

Nice find! :)

Decayed "samples" from the top of an orogenic enrichment are generally the richest values you will find in the deposit. You might be wise to mine the upper enrichment zone to finance a real drilling and sampling program. Small surface samples are only valuable as an indicator.

Are you in Oregon? The platinum (PGM?) values you posted have not been found previously in Arizona.

As mentioned a surface sample will give you a very enriched sample and will be very different from the lower structure, you need to dig down and take samples from a few areas like contact center and such, look for a intersecting dike that could make your little find a very nice pocket mine,

It was a sedimentary zone pushed up next to a quartz/iron zone, it was decated on top but hard when i dug into it . Quartz running in with sand . Like a dinosours back 10' long 1' wide 5 ' away from quartz zone

roughneck84

You have got some very good and correct information from all the fellows.

Make sure that there is really an actual lode discovery before over filing your placer

claim with a lode claim. As the other guys have said,you have the legal right to

prospect every square inch of your placer to look for a lode. Just don't get caught

mining any lode and removing any real amount of lode ore ,before filing a lode claim.

Also make darn sure that your placer claim will support a valid discovery,before over

filing with a lode claim.

Thnx for the help everyone ill put sum pics of the ore samples as soon as i figer out how to do it . Itll b a while before i get back out there to post vein pics a month prob.keep your hammers swingin and yo dectors pingin !

I thought:

You could stake a lode over an existing placer... but you only own the lode, not the placer.

If you stake a lode and there is no existing placer claim, then you own the lode and the placer.

You cannot stake a placer over an existing lode (for the above reason).

I also thought you could not patent any claims these days.

Am I wrong????

Edited by LostDutchman

You can only stake a lode over your own placer,and gain rights to the lode,unless you

have permission of the existing placer owner. The existing placer will always retain the

placer rights, for mining as long as it remains a valid mining claim.

At one time placer claims did not cover all the minerals in place,and did not have the

same protection as a lode claim. This was all changed ,so that both are equal for posessory

rights,against trespass,by other miners. This is where the idea of not filing a placer over a

lode started. Some states still follow that old rule for filing claims. Nevada still has that rule

in their claim staking guides,unless they have made recent changes.

At one time the mining district,county,and state made their own rules for staking claims,and

the rules were all different, this is why the rules are so confusing to so many now. Back in the

early days,a placer claim wasn't really worth much ,for protecting mineral rights,hence the

change in law for equal standing,against all others,for all minerals contained within the claim

surface.

Now both types give posessory right for all minerals to the claimant. But a placer claim does

not give the rights to mine a lode,nor does a lode claim give rights to mine the placer.

ruffneck84

If you intend to do anything with the lode ,I would go with the lode claim over the placer.

It would be a good idea in any event,since you are aware of the lode being present.

As far as the patent thing. The patent law is not dead,but only on hold. It could be revived

by a future administration. This is one reason to keep your actions to the letter of the law.

ruffneck84

If you intend to do anything with the lode ,I would go with the lode claim over the placer.

It would be a good idea in any event,since you are aware of the lode being present.

As far as the patent thing. The patent law is not dead,but only on hold. It could be revived

by a future administration. This is one reason to keep your actions to the letter of the law.

Funding for just processing patent applications was pulled in 1994.

That's how they got around the Mining laws on this matter.

As far as I know, there is no law against gettin' yer claim patented. :89:

It's one of those back door - end run bites out of our rights. :barnie:

...and yes, I keep my claim on the up and up. Should the day ever come again, I want

the option to exercise that right to patent my claim as prescribed by law. :old:

Edited by Steel Pan

well guys this has turned into alot of usfull info but iguess i really need to do a lil' more diggin in tha dirt , the one thing that is really awsome about this deal is the assay. when he didi theassay he combined the quartz vein with the sedimentary vein . i checked all the quartz with a microscope no gold but iron , so could easily double the assay on the next test. I guess 3 opt gold and 1/2 opt platinum wouldnt be to bad either. On top of the grond at that . whoop whoop :D

As was said: the surface will be more enriched than the underground ore due to supergeneous action (previous sulphide or oxidation action). So the underlying ore could be a lot less. Or it could be just as rich.

Nevertheless, it's some good ground and worth exploring more.

A one man show doesn't cost much to operate, but won't move much, either. So don't go too nuts with visions of riches just yet.

Are there other lands within the vein strike and dip that are available for claim? If so, follow your existing vein to that boundary and test there. If good, file it. As soon as folks see workings on open ground, they start getting the claimit bug. Protect your investment by beating them to it.

then

Use that surface ore to fund some drilling on the claims and figure out where the real values are.

Then you have a choice...

Mine it yourself and break your own back for the chance of good rewards - just make sure you retain a lawyer who specializes in mineral leases and mining.

Or

Find a small-time outfit who will mine for a percentage and share in or cover the permit and bond costs.

Heck, if good enough ore, a major company may be interested and willing to cover some money up front while they get permitted and such (can take years for large operations)

Look at some older posts from Sawmill. We discussed this very topic earlier this year in great detail. Several on here are very wise with the ways of the miner, including Sawmill, Elder Miner, Chris Ralph (Assoc Editor of ICMJ mag and degreed mining eng). It's worth looking back as there is a treasure trove of info for the learning.

Good luck!

Edited by GlennM

I am also in the process of filing a Lode Claim, I was not aware of the rules with Placer, I thought the Lode was Boss sence its underground and you need to move the Placer to acess the Lode. so Thanks Everyone for the Info. I Do Know a Lode Claim is ONLY 600' X 1500'.and is $ 185.00. But you can have as meny as you like enywhere in the country.

Edited by Spur

Ive only been doing this for 8 months , ive read, read and read plus what ive read on this site (which has been the most help). I can give ya'll alil' over view on this place and till me what you thank. I have a majar fault zone running across my NE corner running NW to SE . I have another major fault zone on the south side of me running west to east , coming together just off my east side. lease is inbetween the two. I have veins and faults connecting the two major faults all over this claim, bed rock is expossed mostly everywhere you look along with iron streaks and quartz outbreaks maybe volcanic sills they look like ant hills some 10 foot tall. all creeks have bedrock expossed and they all contain that famous word "GOLD" . :D