Nugget Shooter Forums

When roads or other government projects get under way they will use borrow pits to get aggregate for the road or whatever they need it for as opposed to wasting fuel to haul it miles and miles. Then often they fill with water and the state stocks them with fish for fishermen to pursue. Here is AZ is is usually just a dry pit when they leave.... :Just_Cuz_06:

Hmmm, learn something new every day.

Paul

:thumbsupanim YAHOO oll' dog learned sumthin' new today already,what a great day. And all this time the only borrow pit I knew of was what the government has done to social security :4chsmu1: John

HJ ... sorry ... that's not a borrow pit that is a bottomless pit that you and I nad everyone else just keep throwing money into and uncle sam then "borrows" ... with no intention to repay! Much like lending money to a relative ... oops ... did I say that!? Well I guess that is appropriate too because "we" are lending money to uncle sam ... our ever demanding uncle at that!!

Mike F

It's my understanding that the term "borrow pit" evolved from "barrow pit" meaning to wheel.

Further the term has a connection to early usage from road construction as an extension of a "bar ditch"